Website
www.ouahouah.eu
XP
Country
France
Hello.

Got a Gateway from last week.
Also have a MK7 retail cartridge.

Is it possible to use the ROM (scene dump) with the savegame inside the cartridge ?
Or is it possible to dump with the Gateway feature included and use the savegame from retail cartridge ? Will it be included with the Gateway dump ?

Thanks a lot :)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
there's already a gateway feature (in the Gateway menu, press L when booting gateway exploit) to extract save game from a cartridge to .sav file on SD card.
the only issue is that Gateway ROM loader is compatible only with 512kB saves.

If Mario kart uses a 256KB EEPROM for the save data, you will not be able to continue your progress with the ROM.

If the save file 512k, then it will work.
You will need to dump both your save and your game (as your dumped ROM will contain your unique ID required for the save encryption).

- dump ROM
- dump Save
- move ROM to MicroSD and rename to .3dz
- rename save to GameID.sav

You can use the Scene ROM, but you will still need to dump your own cartridge to extract the UniqueID used by your save until now and inject it to the Scene dump, so just play with your own dump.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Hello.

Got a Gateway from last week.
Also have a MK7 retail cartridge.

Is it possible to use the ROM (scene dump) with the savegame inside the cartridge ?
Or is it possible to dump with the Gateway feature included and use the savegame from retail cartridge ? Will it be included with the Gateway dump ?

Thanks a lot :)
yeah its possible to use the save from mario kart on a rom, but you will need to dump your own rom and save via the gateway menu, then rename the rom to .3dz and rename the save from either AMKE.sav to 0004000000030800.sav if its a US copy or AMKP.sav to 0004000000030700.sav if its a EU copy

slightly ninja'd but yeah what cyan says is true this method doesn't work for all games for any other game follow what he said, but for mario kart it does have a 512kb save and doesn't use 6.x save encryption so you can carry it along fine

to clarify for other games its also dependent on if the game uses 6.x save encryption, if the game does, then even if the save is 512kb or a card2 game like pokemon you can only continue the save if it was played in classic mode and not on a properly updated console

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yeah, I didn't talk about the encryption key as I knew mario kart doesn't use it.
Thanks for talking about it, it could help users finding this thread for their other games.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
pretty sure SMB2(i assume you mean new super mario bros 2) is not 512kb, i tried a while back and remeber the only game i had with 512kb save was mario kart

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I wish they had been more specific about the exciting save game news. But seeing as MT-card has half broken save editing, that's most likely what they meant.
well this was the quote
Our next focus will be revising the savegames subsystem. We think a lot of our savegame editing and retail gamecard users will be pleased with what we have planned!
so that seems like 2 separate issues savegame editing and retail gamecard users, so it may even solve all 3 issues, retail card users are faced with the 6.x save encryption mostly though, but the fact they said they are revising the whole game save system it will likely fix the mis-sized saves too, but the "save editing" could also refer to people wanting to use CGSE so then only 6.x save encryption would cover both options....so who knows really, but at least 1 issue will be resolved

Reactions: Abcdfv

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo,