• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 2,745
  • Replies 26
D

Deleted User

OP
cvbcxbxcbxcvbvb.png

I can't help thinking some kind of notification/alert system would be useful on the 'temp, implemented like at http://www.team9000.net, i.e a facebook-style "XX replied to your post," bar located somewhere; as I'm always trawling through each of my posts manually to see who replied :/

Edit:Added Screenshot
edit2:Poll added

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It would get nice, but I thought we already have the option to get notified through an email about that kinda stuff.
unsure.gif

Still as nice as it sounds, it would get annoying really fast.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
A Gay Little Catboy said:
It would get nice, but I thought we already have the option to get notified through an email about that kinda stuff.
unsure.gif

You can change your settings to auto-subscribe to any topic you reply to/make.
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?act=UserCP&CODE=02 (last option)

You'll get an email for ALL replies though, not just to your post.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
tj_cool said:
A Gay Little Catboy said:
unsure.gif

You can change your settings to auto-subscribe to any topic you reply to/make.
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?act=UserCP&CODE=02 (last option)

You'll get an email for ALL replies though, not just to your post.
Ah, I knew we had a feature like that because I took the time to turn it off.

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have to admit I would like that. It becomes pretty easy to forget to check a topic if you took a break from the temp for a few hours. Having a notification be there when you log back in would make it nice.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Here's one example.

notificationsl.gif

You could get a notification (like when PMs) showing that there's one or more activity update, and you go to your activity page and see (the new ones being the highlighted ones). Of course for keeping track of new posts in your thread, it'd only alert you once per thread (not once per each new post since you've been gone).

Idunno' if there's already a mod for this or what, but it's damn useful.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
hmm, but what about a facebook style notification system implemented on the website? Instead of doing it via email, having it up by the messages bar... You have 0 new messages, 47 new replies, where each and every reply to a single topic doesn't add to the new replies, just each unique topic
smile.gif

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Rydian said:
Here's one example.

notificationsl.gif

You could get a notification (like when PMs) showing that there's one or more activity update, and you go to your activity page and see (the new ones being the highlighted ones). Of course for keeping track of new posts in your thread, it'd only alert you once per thread (not once per each new post since you've been gone).

Idunno' if there's already a mod for this or what, but it's damn useful.

Like that, and I think it would be better to group it all upp like this:

this.png

But with replies in threads, in my oppinion, and not just when quoted... but that can be an option for the user perhaps?

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Nice idea! You should also be able to stop notifications from a certain topic, especially topics like The you are banned game.

Also, i know it would be harder, but could it be a live feed like Facebook? And make the tab in your browser say somthing like:

GBAtemp.net (1)

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wizerzak said:
Nice idea! You should also be able to stop notifications from a certain topic, especially topics like The you are banned game.

Also, i know it would be harder, but could it be a live feed like Facebook? And make the tab in your browser say somthing like:

GBAtemp.net (1)
the number should come first, as in (1) GBAtemp.net

that way if you have a lot of small tabs (very little room for text in each) you can still see if you have a notification

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im for this idea. sometimes i forget where i post and i would have liked to remember where i posted lol.
Now would you get notified for something you posted in?

ex: you post in topic x, someone posts after you, you get a notification that sends you to the comment under yours?

EDIT: Ok so its the second time today, im coming back to the Temp and i really really would like notifications.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
When I forget where I posted, I have few solutions :

•When I come back from a long period, I use "View new posts" at the top right of the forum and search for the posts where I left a message (with the black dot on the envelop icon).
•If it's for a message in the last 24H, there's a link at the bottom of the forum "see all the active posts from this past 24H", and I search for topics with a black dot on the envelop icon.
•At the top right, there's a "My assistant" where you can show your last 10 posts.
•If 10 is not enough, and few times a month, I go to my own Profile and select "Option > Find member's Posts", then I can check if I had any answers.

Though, a notification on the "My assistant" would be great instead of a Mail for each tracked topic reply, and own messages quotes like Rydian shown.
I don't check my mail very often, and sometime we want an answer on the same day, the mail notification is not needed anymore if we already checked the forum manually.

I think "My Assistant" would be a good place to store this kind of informations. (maybe add a number next to it for unreaded info "My Assistant (5)", which will be cleared when opened or when clicking a new button "clear notifications".

edit :
let's use Tempy points
laugh.gif

Hey, I got 5 Tempy's !

D

Deleted User

OP
Cyan said:
When I forget where I posted, I have few solutions :

•When I come back from a long period, I use "View new posts" at the top right of the forum and search for the posts where I left a message (with the black dot on the envelop icon).
•If it's for a message in the last 24H, there's a link at the bottom of the forum "see all the active posts from this past 24H", and I search for topics with a black dot on the envelop icon.
•At the top right, there's a "My assistant" where you can show your last 10 posts.
•If 10 is not enough, and few times a month, I go to my own Profile and select "Option > Find member's Posts", then I can check if I had any answers.

Though, a notification on the "My assistant" would be great instead of a Mail for each tracked topic reply, and own messages quotes like Rydian shown.
I don't check my mail very often, and sometime we want an answer on the same day, the mail notification is not needed anymore if we already checked the forum manually.

I think "My Assistant" would be a good place to store this kind of informations. (maybe add a number next to it for unreaded info "My Assistant (5)", which will be cleared when opened or when clicking a new button "clear notifications".

edit :
let's use Tempy points
laugh.gif

Hey, I got 5 Tempy's !
Yes! My Assistant would be the perfect place to store all of it-since GBAtemp are redesigning the forum layout I hear (big red box, forum page), why not integrate the assistant into the top toolbar like Facebook, Team9000, etc.

All of the current methods for checking if someone has replied here currently take time and instruction to accustom and use-let it be one day or one month; but a simple easy-to-pick-up notifications area can really perk things up!

edit:added screenshot thumb

D

Deleted User

OP
corenting said:
Good idea !

You may also look at wii-homebrew.com . There is also a notification system here.
Yes, that's a good implementation-should I PM an admin or something to try and get the idea forwarded?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UyxeZ7JYwZs&pp=ygUJVnIgaXMgZ2F5