GCN Grand Theft Auto III / Vice City on GameCube

TheDukeOfNukem

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Alright look, I know, I know a lot of y'all hate useless threads, I know.

I have been digging into the RE3 project, and Miami's restoration efforts with GTA 3 and VC the last few days and it's fucking astounding. I shouldn't even say restoration, since it's not a restoration, but a complete reverse engineering. It's brilliant.

I know a lot of the people on this site are proper good with compiling things and running code and yadayadayada, so in the professional opinion of people who are a lot more well versed on the subject than I, would it be possible to compile a Game Cube version of these games?

GTA 3 is pretty well a gig on the dot and Vice City, it's bigger but obviously with access to the actual code itself, as well as more modern compression technologies, it can be shrunk down I'd imagine, seems to me storage size wouldn't be an issue getting the games over, which is nice, whereas SA and beyond are all a good deal bigger.

Like look, I'll be real. I'm not *trying* to make an entirely pointless thread, I am genuinely looking for the opinions of people more informed. Frankly I was thinking about how you'd go porting RE3 and Miami over to Xbox One / Series X|S via the UWP, but Googling turned up diddly squat so no one is working on that. I know they got RE3 running on Wii U and the goddamn 3DS which is insane to me, I would kill to see it run on the Dreamcast in some way at some point but that's just for the sake of it, logically I see no real reason the GameCube couldn't genuinely handle the game though, it's beefier than the PS2, storage isn't an issue, and now we have the ability to mess around with the actual code behind the game too rather than straight emulation which would obviously go nowhere on the ol' GC.

I really have no idea about this stuff. I have been a Chromebook user for a good 7 or so years now solely because I don't want to do anything computer-y on my computer, but it's simultaneously fascinating to me how people go about these sorts of projects.

If anyone with the know how wants to go on a massive lengthy ramble about the logistics of all these things, I would absolutely love it tbh. Cheers!

TriGuy

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
trivoxel.io
XP
Country
United States
Wow sort of surprised this post got slept on forever. I'd kill to play Vice City on my GameCube tbh. And yeah, the GC is far superior to the PS2. It's got better GPU tech, a much better CPU... seems like it should run. I think it's an issue of how much work it'd take to actually get it compiling for the GC. I'll admit, I've never fucked with the SDKs for any of the console platforms. Probably should, but then I need to use Arch Linux or something to dev on the GameCube. Not really a huge fan of Arch myself.

I'll look into the port process and see if it can be done easily. But chances are, it's not something I personally would do if it is super involved. You might be able to ask the reverse engeneering guys very kindly to try to port it to GC, they may feel like porting it like wildfire tbh, but IDK if they can legally distribute the game or not. Rockstar's been pretty dicey with their older games after recently releasing the eye vomit de-make collection of their classic games...

Seeing projects like OpenLaura (open source Tomb Raider) getting ported to GBA gives me hope that some bored dev out there will take the time to port those games to something like Wii or GC, though.

Reactions: DarthBellic

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.coca-cola.com/xe/en/media-center/wozzaah-launch