kicknhorse

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Hard drives are about to undergo one of the biggest format shifts in 30 years.

By early 2011 all hard drives will use an "advanced format" that changes how they go about saving the data people store on them.

The move to the advanced format will make it easier for hard drive makers to produce bigger drives that use less power and are more reliable.

However, it might mean problems for Windows XP users who swap an old drive for one using the changed format.
And source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8557144.stm

This is just for information, as I assume many are, and still will be XP users. I am both at home and at work, and at least one of them will not change soon.

Windows 7, Vista, OS X Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard and versions of the Linux kernel released after September 2009 will be ready for the harddrive change by the end of January 2011.

One good thing is, more space for us!!!

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
probably an attempt to finally get people off xp.

don't see much reason to stay on xp nowadays unless you're on ancient hardware.

kicknhorse

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
.Radiant said:
probably an attempt to finally get people off xp.

don't see much reason to stay on xp nowadays unless you're on ancient hardware.

No, it makes perfect sense, and I for one am sad to see them try to push people away from XP.

However, a lot of large companies, the I work at a university, has only just (within the last 9 - 12 months) switched to XP from NT.

So I can only imagine this is now going to change here any time soon at all.

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
kicknhorse said:
No, it makes perfect sense, and I for one am sad to see them try to push people away from XP.

XP is 9 years old now, its time to move on people. Businesses will obviously have to stay on XP, but there's NO reason why you should be running it if you have hardware that isn't pre-2005/2004.

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
psycoblaster said:
I don't get it. Any OS would need to change for a new type of hard drive. A driver install or an OS update would do the trick, or am I wrong?

ms dropped support for xp ages ago. means no new driver/updates.

psycoblaster

Divine
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
.Radiant said:
psycoblaster said:
I don't get it. Any OS would need to change for a new type of hard drive. A driver install or an OS update would do the trick, or am I wrong?

Actually, I remember I have read that XP SP3 will be updated till 2014?

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
psycoblaster said:
.Radiant said:
psycoblaster said:

Actually, I remember I have read that XP SP3 will be updated till 2014?

Yup, because netbooks still use it by defult.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
To help Windows XP cope, advanced format drives will be able to pretend they still use sectors 512 bytes in size.

When reading data from a drive this emulation will go unnoticed. However, said Mr Burks, in some situations writing data could hit performance.

In some cases the drive will take two steps to write data rather than one and introduce a delay of about 5 milliseconds.

"All other things being equal you will have a noticeable hard drive reduction in performance," said Mr Burks, adding that, in some circumstances, it could make a drive 10% slower.

This along with the post above me means I'm not worried. If performance is really an issue when upgrading parts you'd be using something more than XP.

And yes, XP itself is only getting security updates now, until 2014, and only SP3.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
So what? If all new operating systems support it, there's no real problem. Of course, these hard drives will not be sold to XP users, but that's the problem of the company that sells them. You can't expect XP to be supported with new features after all these years.

By the way, to the people who say there's no reason to stay on XP: what about money? I don't want to spend hundreds of euros for an OS that doesn't do anything better for me. Yes, I could pirate it, but it's still not worth it, especially if I own XP legally.

I personally use Linux only. My kernel is at least older than september 2009. If I would buy one of these hard drives it could be a minor hassle because some of the older distributions I use occasionally don't have a kernel that new on the CD I burnt, but oh well...

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like XP 'cause it didn't kill my system
frown.gif
I mean, the system requirements for Vista and up are crazy for what little extra is really done that's worth it. I bought a laptop and downgraded it from Vista to XP, on Vista it could barely run The Sims 2, on XP, it ran SO much better. Its resources weren't completely hogged up.

I'll probably switch a year or two from now to play catch-up with upgrades to keep everything running smoothly. And be using WindowBlinds to make it as much like XP as I can heh.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Celice said:
I like XP 'cause it didn't kill my system
frown.gif
I mean, the system requirements for Vista and up are crazy for what little extra is really done that's worth it. I bought a laptop and downgraded it from Vista to XP, on Vista it could barely run The Sims 2, on XP, it ran SO much better. Its resources weren't completely hogged up.

I'll probably switch a year or two from now to play catch-up with upgrades to keep everything running smoothly. And be using WindowBlinds to make it as much like XP as I can heh.

While this was true when Vista first came out now most computers can handle Windows 7 and Vista alonside their extra power requirements. Win 7 is set to be used on netbook for crying out loud. My next PC will definitely get an install of Windows 7 on it and not XP just for DX11 and prettiness sake

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
whywouldyoudothat.jpg

I just downgraded from Windows 7.
So this just means new hard drives are incapable running on Windows XP?
If so, that's fine I don't have any need to upgrade that part of my desktop
tongue.gif

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Enjoy no DX10 on your rig, especially when games start requiring it off the bat. You're gonna have to upgrade eventually y'know. Windows 7 is very nice, I used the beta for quite a while and it didn't slow down my old rig too much, it could run HL2 and other games just as well as it could on XP.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/W-k8itKhZzE?si=x1FjAoq74Jv0TAUx