Homebrew Hello world problem

eSquire

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Programmer's Notepad is just a text editor with syntax-highlighting features and such. It is not a compiler.

Also, that code you have there is for PCs and won't work on a DS.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Including nds.h would be a good start. Also keep in mind the DS has no built-in text rendering engine, or console mode, or anything. LibNDS does contain some working implementations of these things however.

DevKitPRO comes with a "Hello, World" example for the DS. I'd suggest looking there.

TheLazy1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Including nds.h will not make your program magically work
biggrin.gif

If you are just learning how to write code I would suggest you start on the PC first since it is so much easier to debug.

geocool

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
First You Need To Learn Many Things About C++ Like Fuctions Pointers And All These. You Can't Start programming on DS without knowing how to do it on pc.

www.cplusplus.com is a nice site to start.

I want to make homebrews for Ds or Wii too but without the basic knowledge you can't do many things.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again, open the example projects and make sure you can compile them. If THAT fails, then you've got a more serious issue to deal with.

Sarvesh50

Aye!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
geocool said:
First You Need To Learn Many Things About C++ Like Fuctions Pointers And All These. You Can't Start programming on DS without knowing how to do it on pc.

www.cplusplus.com is a nice site to start.

I want to make homebrews for Ds or Wii too but without the basic knowledge you can't do many things.
OK its going to be pc

lincruste

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Sarvesh50 said:
OK its going to be pc

Do not forget to try DanTheManMS's advice. Try compiling some examples of code. You might want to test your increasing C skills on your DS, it will be a great source of motivation (is "motivation" an english word by the way?
unsure.gif
).

ShadowEO

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no reason that he can't learn C++ while working with the DS. Just keep a Libnds manual open so you can reference functions and their arguments when needed. But you've got the right structure for your hello world, just the wrong commands. But keep working on it and you should be able to get it, Also if your starting for a mix of both graphical and text (virtual keyboard) I suggest you also install PALib. Just keep going, I'm learning C++ too just to work on the DS
biggrin.gif
yaynds.gif
Just keep being determined to make it work and take alot of time and effort on your code, don't just whip it together and hope for the best, when you think your ready to debug, review your code just one more time, then compile for NDS, Also PALib comes with emulators to test your DS program in so you don't have to transfer your program back and forth everytime you attempt it.

Good luck Sarvesh and happy coding. If I knew more about C++ than just the structure of the code I'd offer to help you more but I'm still learning myself, even though people say that C++ is just like the web langugage PHP >_> It's not....
laugh.gif
but I'm still trying. I hope to make good homebrew someday as well.

TheLazy1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think you need to learn on a platform that is well documented and has a good debugger: a PC for example.
There is no law saying you can't learn on the DS, it's just going to be more difficult.

If you are ready, just use libnds.
There are plenty of examples now and it is designed very well, has documentation and is easy to use.

anandjones

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Sarvesh50, it's a high abstraction library. Use it if you want. The newer libnds APIs makes it a lot easier for sprites, backgrounds without all the control register settings etc.

EEragon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
For a new nds-programmer, PAlib is the best choice.
If you are an die-hard nds-programmer, you better can start learning ndslib immediately.

I'm a rookie programmer, I programming Patapon DS now and I'm using PAlib because libnds is a little to hard for me, and the're no good tutorials for it yet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3