Hacking How To Softmod (Hack) Your PSP

LucasRiver

Trophies
XP
I have a problem.
I downgraded from cfw to ofw 5.00
Then upgraded to ofw 6.20
I put all the required folders into PSP/GAME/
When I got to my psp and pick the update, it has the psp intro, then just stalls at a black screen.
I'm reset my settings to default, made sure my psp was at 100%, and unplugged the usb.
I have a 1000 phat. I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong. Help would be greatly appreciated.

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I have a problem.
I downgraded from cfw to ofw 5.00
Then upgraded to ofw 6.20
I put all the required folders into PSP/GAME/
When I got to my psp and pick the update, it has the psp intro, then just stalls at a black screen.
I'm reset my settings to default, made sure my psp was at 100%, and unplugged the usb.
I have a 1000 phat. I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong. Help would be greatly appreciated.
Do you have plugins in the seplugins folder? Since you seem to have been using an old cfw prior to updating, I think you have some outdated plugins that are interfering with the updater. Back your seplugins folder in your computer, then try updating.

LucasRiver

Trophies
XP
I deleted my seplugins file earlier. Not sure if I was supposed to, but yeah.
I'm sure if they would be somewhere else causing interference or not.
Also, my module is 1g, if that helps at all.

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm not certain what's wrong either, so let's go to the basics:

1) Check if you're actually on 6.20 OFW (go to System > System Settings > System Information)
2) Check if you actually have the 6.20 version of PRO (here), not the 6.60 version.
3) Make sure you are running 6.20 PRO Update, not the Permanent Bootloader or Fast Recovery.

LucasRiver

Trophies
XP
I'm not certain what's wrong either, so let's go to the basics:

1) Check if you're actually on 6.20 OFW (go to System > System Settings > System Information)
2) Check if you actually have the 6.20 version of PRO (here), not the 6.60 version.
3) Make sure you are running 6.20 PRO Update, not the Permanent Bootloader or Fast Recovery.
1) I checked, and I do indeed have ofw 6.20
2) I deleted the files in my game folder, downloaded the ones from your link, placed them in the folder, and still no luck. Just goes to a black screen and stays there.
3) I'm picking Update every time. Still no luck. /:

EDIT: Am I supposed to do anything with the seplugins and sdk folders that come with the download?

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
2) I deleted the files in my game folder, downloaded the ones from your link, placed them in the folder, and still no luck. Just goes to a black screen and stays there.

EDIT: Am I supposed to do anything with the seplugins and sdk folders that come with the download?
The sdk folder contains the source code for developers, so you don't have to worry. The seplugins folder contains some font files, so it's not essential either.

I've been running some "tests" the past few minutes; here are the results:

1) holding L/Circle/Square/Cross/Start (I did each of them individually, but I'm posting them together since they yielded the same result) while booting the updater and going through the installation process -> Updated without problem
2) holding R while booting... [ditto from above] -> Automatically exited updater
3) holding Triangle while booting... [ditto from above] -> Automatically went into the uninstallation process (even if it's not installed)
4) booting the Permanent Patch while not in hacked state -> "This game cannot be started. The data is corrupted"
5) booting Fast Recovery while not in hacked state -> Stalled in black screen; automatically shut itself down after a few seconds

As far as I can tell, you don't have a button that's being pressed down internally, and the only thing that fits your description is 5, booting the FR while not hacked.

@[member='Rydian'], I think the people that had problems where the updater automatically exited had R pressed down internally... that should probably be noted within the guide (a "Trouble Shoot" section, perhaps?).

LucasRiver

Trophies
XP

The sdk folder contains the source code for developers, so you don't have to worry. The seplugins folder contains some font files, so it's not essential either.

I've been running some "tests" the past few minutes; here are the results:

1) holding L/Circle/Square/Cross/Start (I did each of them individually, but I'm posting them together since they yielded the same result) while booting the updater and going through the installation process -> Updated without problem
2) holding R while booting... [ditto from above] -> Automatically exited updater
3) holding Triangle while booting... [ditto from above] -> Automatically went into the uninstallation process (even if it's not installed)
4) booting the Permanent Patch while not in hacked state -> "This game cannot be started. The data is corrupted"
5) booting Fast Recovery while not in hacked state -> Stalled in black screen; automatically shut itself down after a few seconds

As far as I can tell, you don't have a button that's being pressed down internally, and the only thing that fits your description is 5, booting the FR while not hacked.

@[member='Rydian'], I think the people that had problems where the updater automatically exited had R pressed down internally... that should probably be noted within the guide (a "Trouble Shoot" section, perhaps?).
I've checked to make sure that I'm clicking Update every time, so I have no idea what the deal is. I'm going to try formatting my memory stick. See if that helps.

EDIT: HALLELUJAH IT WORKED.

Reactions: 1 person

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: HALLELUJAH IT WORKED.
I never though formatting the mem stick on a psp would make a difference (I haven't formatted my memory stick for, like, 2 years :lol:). Good to know that it worked out... sorry I couldn't be of any help. /:

@[member='Rydian'], sorry for being persistent, but formatting the memory stick seems to be a viable solution. I think it'd be nice to have a Trouble shoot section to help others out.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Things that could go wrong with this are things that could go wrong with PSPs in general though, so limiting a troubleshooting guide to this thread seems odd, when if somebody has an issue they can post their own thread assuming it's not like this and happens while installing.

Reactions: 1 person

dilsiam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Dear people of gbatemp:

I want you to know how grateful I am for the information about modding the PSP and the files needed to do it, many thanks

Regards
dilsiam

myuuji

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
the permanent patch doesn't stay permanent on my PSP 1000. i just execute it, press X and will be back at the XMB homescreen shortly after that.
if i shutdown my psp and turn it back on, it's unhacked 6.20 all over again and i have to launch the Pro CFW through its updater once more.

what am i doing wrong?

realveemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the permanent patch doesn't stay permanent on my PSP 1000. i just execute it, press X and will be back at the XMB homescreen shortly after that.
if i shutdown my psp and turn it back on, it's unhacked 6.20 all over again and i have to launch the Pro CFW through its updater once more.

what am i doing wrong?

When using the perm bootloader with 6.20... you press X THEN O

Seeing as you have a 1k series... it may be better if you update to 6.60 and use the CIPL flasher with that firmware

myuuji

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
thanks.. sorry for not reading close enough.. damn! thank you so much for your great guide, Rydian!

i'm gonna try that CIPL flasher out, sounds promising for the 1000 model

edit: 6.60 with CFW works perfect with CIPL flasher. what a great tool! thank you!!

AmitZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
If I buy a new PSP Go or a new PSP 3004, is there a chance it will come preloaded with 6.61 or higher? If it does, can I do something about it or i'm screwed?

Relle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need a little help. I have a PSP-3000, 6.37. Although this guide says that every PSP-3000 model can be hacked, I can't downgrade, and can't find a downgrading program despite some googling. Am I stuck with 6.37 (and by extension, a non-permanent mod with 6.60 CWF?)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @K3Nv2 call uremum Sloppenheimer the way she givin me this bomb head
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I call uremum alzheimer she forgets to leave
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Time to start a vape straight nicotine challenge, Darwin be praised!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Imagine if Hitler had vapes, we promise it's not cyanide it'll help you quit nicotine
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Please, walk into my patented vape chamber, aka the non smoking area
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I do wonder how dominate Germany would've been if they just enlisted Jewish people
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They actually enlisted Muslims, seriously, because the Muslims hates Jews, even tho it was not the supreme race. He claimed common hate, is friendship.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He could've just made them walking shields kind of a dumb ass move
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/3km8bqC lol cd level quality I fucking hope so
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    So a man, wifey laying in bed, and man wants sum and rubs on her a little, she turns and says "Not tonight, I have a gyno apt in the morning." So man rolls over, but after few minutes starts rubbing her again. She says didn't you here me, no messing around, I have a gyno apt tomorrow. " Man says, "Well you don't have a dentist apt tomorrow also do you?"
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn I have 8 modded rgh3 x360 slims I've done, I need to get rid of, I figured my family members or friends would want but times have changed. Think I'm gonna stop buying them and modding. Time to Switch it up (pun intended)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yay power outages
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, I'm your friend
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There literally no storms in your area, does it go out alot? You need to just send me your slim n ill rgh3 it free.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or grow sum balls and do it yourself, not hard. More of a pain to jailbreak a ps4 than it is the 360, other than little soldering.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Problem is my dick gets in the way
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea true, would be a pain having that on your forehead
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The chicks love it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Every damn time there's a loud noise dudes car alarm goes off freaking annoying
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Stun gun the metal of the car (door, bumper, etc), you won't hear it again, promise.
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    damn accidentally ripped my car cover just now
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    happens
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or plant drugs get him evicted
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Or plant drugs get him evicted