ROM Hack How to use Super Game Boy / Super Game Boy 2 colors on 3DS?

Memfis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Some Game Boy Games can be played in a special color mode with the Super Game Boy / Super Game Boy 2 adapter. I have no interest on the borders, only the colors. Is there a way to activate this on 3DS? Unfortunately not for all games are colored rom hacks avaible.

Memfis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Would be nice to patch the rom. With a rom I can do an cia-file and install it direct to Home Menu and can play without opening an emulator first.

Example for games I want to use with Super Game Boy colors:
Donkey Kong (GB)
Mole Mania (GB)
Mario's Picross (GB)

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you're talking about injection to use the Virtual Console emulator, that doesn't support SGB so you won't get colours that way. The games would need to be modified to use GBC colours instead, which is a reasonable undertaking of rom hacking. Here's a thread talking about games that have been patched for GBC and wishes for other games to be done, but I don't know if it's at all likely to get the attention of any of the hackers doing it https://gbatemp.net/threads/my-gb-to-gbc-hack-wishlist-and-my-thoughts-on-existing-ones.590533/

Really if you want to play the games with SGB colours without waiting for someone to maybe do a rom hack at some unspecified point in the future, then GameYob is the way to go. I don't know if it's one of the emulators where you can make a forwarder or otherwise make a CIA that starts the game directly, I haven't followed the 3DS scene in years but it's worth a look.

Actually the googles just reminded me that mGBA is another option for playing SGB on 3DS, I think CIA forwarders might be a thing for that too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I thought I saw a puttie snatch...