I’m probably gonna sound very dumb, but is it dangerous to my Wii if I installed a cios in the wrong slot?

Diegoplayswii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was casually installing a cios so I could use my usb drive, and I put one of them in the wrong slot, is it necessary to restore a back up or format my sd card, or is it gonna be fine?
Also, off topic question, if I need to restore a backup, can I do it without boot2?

MysticStarlight

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On which slot did you install it? You should be fine since most cIOS installers only allow you to install in slots 200 and up, and those slots are considered safe, though you shouldn't overwrite the slot 254 since that's the BootMii/IOS slot.

Yes, you can restore your NAND backup without having BootMii/boot2 but you will need a GameCube Controller because it will ask you to input the konami code before restoring. Also, restoring a NAND backup should only be done as a last resort, as most problems can be fixed through other methods.

Last edited by MysticStarlight,

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The cios have to be in the higher rang starting at 200, because this slots are not used by Nintendo. The last slots 249,250,251 had been the securest, as they surely offically never had been used.

The bases with d2x patch, that modifies them for homebrew, can also installed in different Slot/cIOS order. It change nothing in their usage. And theoretically if the working cIOS setup is known, its not necessary to have all of them installed.

But as some games need a specific IOS to run. They best have to be in correct order, as USB Loader GX v3 1280/1281 by blackbox automatically loads the neccesarry cios for the game.

Diegoplayswii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The cios have to be in the higher rang starting at 200, because this slots are not used by Nintendo. The last slots 249,250,251 had been the securest, as they surely offically never had been used.

The bases with d2x patch, that modifies them for homebrew, can also installed in different Slot/cIOS order. It change nothing in their usage. And theoretically if the working cIOS setup is known, its not necessary to have all of them installed.

But as some games need a specific IOS to run. They best have to be in correct order, as USB Loader GX v3 1280/1281 by blackbox automatically loads the neccesarry cios for the game.
Does that mean that if I get USB Loader v3 1280/1281 it will just have the cios without any additional downloads?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon: anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator is bad in my book, i...