iPad 3 event - March 7 2012

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's unacceptable to sentence users to "obseleteness" within a year.
Sent from my obsolete Android 2.3 device
Google are combating that. Starting with ICS, all manufacturers releasing devices with officially certified Android (i.e. if they have Market access by default) have to guarantee updates for a certain period of time. Can't remember what it is, but it is there. With Apple, there is no guarantee. Yes, they do update older devices for a while, but there is no guarantee they have made that they will do that.

but they do do it. so you rather have a promise than an action?
They have in the past, there is no guarantee they will in future. You cannot possibly use historical events as a factual prediction of the future.

This isn't true, Google made a policy that manufactures have to "support" a product for 18 months, and none of the manifactures even care. Motorola isn't bring ICS to Atrix, and Droid 3 which aren't even a year old. If anything and if they were forced to make an update the only thing they will do is just make updates such as security updates.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'd like to point out I never actually said that Google's solution was perfect, or that there was actually a problem with Apple's way. I was just responding to a post.

r3gR3t

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Quit complaining guys. As usual, the next iDevice is probably a good deal for folks that are at least two generations behind. People that are up to date and decide to pay an overpriced worthless upgrade are just dumb / fall under the spell of Apple's advertisement. Heck, it's Apple's advertisement that has a lot of people believing Apple is the greatest that's ever been / they invent the technology they advertise.

On Android's side, when you buy the top dog phone, it gets outclassed rather quickly in the sense that another top dog will come out quickly after yours; but that's only 'cause there's more competition. Take a look at Samsung, for example, their 2011 flagship was the GSII, and they've released quite a cuantity of phones after it, but none of them are the company's new flagship. A phone that's better than the GSII specwise may have come from that likes of HTC or Motorola or someother company, but it wasn't Sammy that replaced the GSII.

DarkLG

Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I loled at the comment about comparing a ds to an apple product two completely different products haha.Ds is a handheld gaimng device Ipad would be more along the lines of a portable media/computer type product I guess?Wouldn't ever compare it to a gaming device that's for sure and the only reason it's acceptable for them to release a new product every year is because everyone else does. This seems about correct it's been a year since the last one I'm hoping the ipad 3 get's at least one of the major rumored upgrades that it really needs.To the comments about what good is a tablet for I say alot I use it everyday at college.Take notes on it,write papers on it,basically anything required by my class I can do on their.Then you got your usual media usages like netflix and watching your own videos.AHell I even make photshopped stuff on their.So no tablets aren't a waste it's just a preference of what you would rather have and some people just don't want really high specced stuff that for sure would cost alot .

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I loled at the comment about comparing a ds to an apple product two completely different products haha.
Well then you laughed for stupid reasons. All handheld electronics work around the same principles, I could compare the iPad to a DS, a PSP, the Vita and despite the fact that they have different target audiences and purposes, they are developed using the same angle - the portable angle.
Ds is a handheld gaimng device Ipad would be more along the lines of a portable media/computer type product I guess?
Your powers of observation do not cease to amaze.
Wouldn't ever compare it to a gaming device that's for sure and the only reason it's acceptable for them to release a new product every year is because everyone else does.
So, if Nintendo and Sony decide to introduce revisions to their hardware each year, will it be acceptable aswell? I mean, everybody will be doing it then. What eludes iFish and you and what I didn't feel like arguing about with him since he wouldn't accept my stance as equally valid no matter what is that this is about a principle, not a product. It could be applied in any industry.
This seems about correct it's been a year since the last one I'm hoping the ipad 3 get's at least one of the major rumored upgrades that it really needs.
It's been a year. There have been no extraordinary technological breakthroughs. There is nothing to upgrade so-far. This is a cosmetical release so that people swap their iPad 2's for a newer model.
To the comments about what good is a tablet for I say alot I use it everyday at college.Take notes on it,write papers on it,basically anything required by my class I can do on their.Then you got your usual media usages like netflix and watching your own videos.AHell I even make photshopped stuff on their.So no tablets aren't a waste it's just a preference of what you would rather have and some people just don't want really high specced stuff that for sure would cost alot .
Here's the thing... iPads cost alot. I could get a far beefier laptop for the price of an iPad, no problemo. Tablets are only attractive because they have touchscreens, they're the middle-ground between laptops and smartphones but until they move onto "big boys and girls OS'es" they're laughable larger versions of the smartphone, that's that.

DarkLG

Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I loled at the comment about comparing a ds to an apple product two completely different products haha.
Well then you laughed for stupid reasons. All handheld electronics work around the same principles, I could compare the iPad to a DS, a PSP, the Vita and despite the fact that they have different target audiences and purposes, they are developed using the same angle - the portable angle.
Ds is a handheld gaimng device Ipad would be more along the lines of a portable media/computer type product I guess?
Your powers of observation do not cease to amaze.
Wouldn't ever compare it to a gaming device that's for sure and the only reason it's acceptable for them to release a new product every year is because everyone else does.
So, if Nintendo and Sony decide to introduce revisions to their hardware each year, will it be acceptable aswell? I mean, everybody will be doing it then. What eludes iFish and you and what I didn't feel like arguing about with him since he wouldn't accept my stance as equally valid no matter what is that this is about a principle, not a product. It could be applied in any industry.
This seems about correct it's been a year since the last one I'm hoping the ipad 3 get's at least one of the major rumored upgrades that it really needs.
It's been a year. There have been no extraordinary technological breakthroughs. There is nothing to upgrade so-far. This is a cosmetical release so that people swap their iPad 2's for a newer model.
To the comments about what good is a tablet for I say alot I use it everyday at college.Take notes on it,write papers on it,basically anything required by my class I can do on their.Then you got your usual media usages like netflix and watching your own videos.AHell I even make photshopped stuff on their.So no tablets aren't a waste it's just a preference of what you would rather have and some people just don't want really high specced stuff that for sure would cost alot .
Here's the thing... iPads cost alot. I could get a far beefier laptop for the price of an iPad, no problemo. Tablets are only attractive because they have touchscreens, they're the middle-ground between laptops and smartphones but until they move onto "big boys and girls OS'es" they're laughable larger versions of the smartphone, that's that.
Yes they were around the same principals and I understand what your getting at and it would suck if sony/nintendo did release new handheld every year but people would not stop buying them I actually got my tablet for quite cheap 300 it came with a keyboard dock as well.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yes they were around the same principals and I understand what your getting at and it would suck if sony/nintendo did release new handheld every year but people would not stop buying them I actually got my tablet for quite cheap 300 it came with a keyboard dock as well.
I am not saying that tablets are hellspawn, I am saying that if a company releases only one model of a tablet then it should be built to last. ;) I personally don't think that yearly releases are all that great and I honestly believe that not only Apple but also Samsung, HTC and the likes should re-consider their strategies. It would be much more beneficial to the end-user to buy a tablet or a phone less often then once a year and the technology is already here, it's just that noone's using it. Let me make this clear, I'm not demonizing Apple alone, I'm demonizing the practice altogether. Apple just stands out in this thread, and due to the fact that they only release one version of their hardware at a time, limiting the end-user's choices. I think there shouldn't be an iPhone 1, 2, 3, 4 and so-on - there should be an iPhone 4 qwerty, iPhone 4 with a gamepad, iPhone 4 mini and so on and so forth, with different features and form-factors, with different specs and prices but running the same software, so that the client actually has a choice, but that's a different point altogether. Back to the main point though, when you release only one version, people will always find something iffy about its internals and people will always jump straight at a revision, hoping that the issue was fixed. I cannot even begin to think how many decomissioned iPhones and, for example, Galaxy S1's already clutter stores, and nobody will ever want them because they became almost immediatelly abselsete when their follow-ups were released. That should not be the case.

Of course I'm asking for the stars here, but can't a guy complain? :P

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its good for business. Not for me. By the way, be aware that the iPad is not, I repeat, NOT substitute for a laptop. It wont. :)

D

Deleted User

I wonder if their innovation this time will stretch past removing a button.
inb4applefanbois

Reactions: 1 person

Zerosuit connor

Baby I'm Back ♥
Trophies
XP
Country
Apple is not going to last long, in a few years they won't be here, their sales are dropping and falling behind Samsung and the Android OS. Also the fact that it is not Mac Os X, and it is just iOs for macs now is a bad move.
I wonder if their innovation this time will stretch past removing a button.
inb4applefanbois
@[member='tigris']
My thoughts exactly.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbSORc_3_Yw