Is it normal behavior for House of the Dead: Overkill to stutter quite a lot?

Chris2055

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure if it's my USB HDD causing the stuttering or if this game is just like that. I've seen some posts online that claim the game is just this way, but there's also YouTube videos of the game on original Wii without the stutter. I don't see this issue in other games as far as I can tell, so I'm inclined to believe it's the game. Is there some way to make it run without the hitching / micro stuttering?

Chris2055

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using

iOS 249 base 56 d2x-v10-beta52
iOS 250 base 57 d2x-v10-beta52

I've tried both. The stuttering isn't THAT extreme, but it's definitely noticeable, especially when the camera pans between rooms. It looks like this for reference (not my video):

Here's the syscheck:

SysCheck HDE v2.4.0 HacksDen Edition by JoostinOnlineDouble_AR2-D2199and Nano
...runs on IOS58 (rev 6176).
Region: NTSC-U
System Menu 4.3U (v513)
Priiloader installed
Drive date: 12.18.2008
Homebrew Channel 1.1.2 running on IOS58
Hollywood v0x21
Console ID: 149910405
Console Type: Wii
Shop Channel Country: United States (49)
Boot2 v4
Found 159 titles.
Found 48 IOS on this console. 7 of them are stubs.
IOS3 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS9 (rev 1034): No Patches
IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
IOS11[60] (rev 65535Info: ModMii-IOS60-v6174): Trucha BugNAND Access
IOS12 (rev 526): No Patches
IOS13 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS14 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS15 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS16 (rev 512): Stub
IOS17 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS20[60] (rev 65535Info: ModMii-IOS60-v6174): Trucha BugNAND Access
IOS21 (rev 1039): No Patches
IOS22 (rev 1294): No Patches
IOS28 (rev 1807): No Patches
IOS30[60] (rev 65535Info: ModMii-IOS60-v6174): Trucha BugNAND Access
IOS31 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS33 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS34 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS35 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS36 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS37 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS38 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS40[60] (rev 65535Info: ModMii-IOS60-v6174): Trucha BugNAND Access
IOS41 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS43 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS45 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS46 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS48 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS50[60] (rev 65535Info: ModMii-IOS60-v6174): Trucha BugNAND Access
IOS51 (rev 4864): Stub
IOS52[60] (rev 65535Info: ModMii-IOS60-v6174): Trucha BugNAND Access
IOS53 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS55 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS56 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS57 (rev 5919): No Patches
IOS58 (rev 6176): USB 2.0
IOS60 (rev 65535Info: ModMii-IOS60-v6174): Trucha BugNAND Access
IOS61 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS62 (rev 6430): No Patches
IOS70[60] (rev 65535Info: ModMii-IOS60-v6174): Trucha BugNAND Access
IOS80[60] (rev 65535Info: ModMii-IOS60-v6174): Trucha BugNAND Access
IOS222 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS223 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS249[56] (rev 65535Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha BugNAND AccessUSB 2.0
IOS250[57] (rev 65535Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha BugNAND AccessUSB 2.0
IOS251[38] (rev 65535Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha BugES IdentifyNAND Access
IOS254 (rev 65281): BootMii
BC v6
MIOS v10
Report generated on 03/15/2022.

Last edited by Chris2055,

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
whoops, stuttering like this, is possible by not setting the blocksize ideal ar having a slow usb-connection.
could be the filesystem your using...
i never noticed, then again i sold my console and didn't play the game that much.
so could be the game, but there are things to tune for better speed.
if you formatted the wii fat32 you could try to defrag (only when not using a SSD wich isn't ideal for your wii!)

Last edited by JaapDaniels,

Chris2055

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have this drive:

WD - My Passport 2TB External USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive with Hardware Encryption - Black

Model:WDBS4B0020BBK-WESN
SKU:6203245

Windows 10 optimization reports 0% fragmented.

defrag.png

Additionally, I've done a chkdsk scan to determine block size. Looks like 32 KB FAT32, which I think is correct?
chkdsk.png

Reactions: Alexander1970

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
32k cluster size, wich should be fine as i remembered, fat32 means you can defrag, WD should be one of the best brands for wii HDD.
looks about as fine as can be.
i'd say try to defrag the drive.
Is it USB powered? since the wii tend to dislike such drives, the usb power output of the wii is really low.
this can be solved by using a usb charger and an y cable.

Chris2055

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
32k cluster size, wich should be fine as i remembered, fat32 means you can defrag, WD should be one of the best brands for wii HDD.
looks about as fine as can be.
i'd say try to defrag the drive.
Is it USB powered? since the wii tend to dislike such drives, the usb power output of the wii is really low.
this can be solved by using a usb charger and an y cable.
I can't defrag it because it's 0% fragmented (already defragged). It is USB powered with no external power source. Can you explain how I can provide external power to the drive? I wasn't aware you could do that and still connect it to the Wii if the drive wasn't built for external power already. It's worth noting though, I don't see this issue in other games and it seems to be a common problem on the internet. Some people claim they have it, some claim they don't. It's weird.

Here's some more videos from YT where the stuttering is present (not my videos):

It even happens in an IGN trailer:

However, there are also videos where it doesn't happen:

There are also references of the issue in forum posts all over the internet. Here's some:

https://www.mfgamers.net/index.php?...e-dead-overkill/&do=findComment&comment=56716
https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/9141751/#Comment_9141751
https://www.avforums.com/threads/th...l-discussion-opinion-poll.936760/post-9829922
https://www.ign.com/articles/2011/10/24/house-of-the-dead-overkill-extended-cut-review (PS3 review that references the stutters present in the Wii version)
http://diehardgamefan.com/2009/02/23/review-house-of-the-dead-overkill-wii/
https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=House_of_the_Dead:_Overkill#Stutters (a reference from the Dolphin emulator that talks about this issue)

If it weren't for the fact that so many people claim not to have this issue and there are videos where it doesn't happen, I would really think it's just the game. However, I'm not so sure, as evident from the videos and anecdotes.

Not really helpful but my copies also fine as an inject from wii u menu and usb, have you tried another version of the iso?

A different version of the ISO was the first thing I tried of course, before I bothered to post. However you bring up an interesting point about the WiiU's vWii. I wonder if the people that don't have the stutter are running on the Wii U. I'm not sure if that would make a difference, but maybe the Wii U has more resources or something and runs the game better? I know theoretically the vWii probably encapsulates the resources to match the real Wii but there must be something to this, such a weird issue.

Last edited by Chris2055,

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I can't defrag it because it's 0% fragmented (already defragged). It is USB powered with no external power source. Can you explain how I can provide external power to the drive? I wasn't aware you could do that and still connect it to the Wii if the drive wasn't built for external power already. It's worth noting though, I don't see this issue in other games and it seems to be a common problem on the internet. Some people claim they have it, some claim they don't. It's weird.

Here's some more videos from YT where the stuttering is present (not my videos):

It even happens in an IGN trailer:

However, there are also videos where it doesn't happen:

There are also references of the issue in forum posts all over the internet. Here's some:

https://www.mfgamers.net/index.php?...e-dead-overkill/&do=findComment&comment=56716
https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/9141751/#Comment_9141751
https://www.avforums.com/threads/th...l-discussion-opinion-poll.936760/post-9829922
https://www.ign.com/articles/2011/10/24/house-of-the-dead-overkill-extended-cut-review (PS3 review that references the stutters present in the Wii version)
http://diehardgamefan.com/2009/02/23/review-house-of-the-dead-overkill-wii/
https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=House_of_the_Dead:_Overkill#Stutters (a reference from the Dolphin emulator that talks about this issue)

If it weren't for the fact that so many people claim not to have this issue and there are videos where it doesn't happen, I would really think it's just the game. However, I'm not so sure, as evident from the videos and anecdotes.

A different version of the ISO was the first thing I tried of course, before I bothered to post. However you bring up an interesting point about the WiiU's vWii. I wonder if the people that don't have the stutter are running on the Wii U. I'm not sure if that would make a difference, but maybe the Wii U has more resources or something and runs the game better? I know theoretically the vWii probably encapsulates the resources to match the real Wii but there must be something to this, such a weird issue.

https://www.amazon.com/ANRANK-Exten..._r=191SJ4ZXKV1EWFH686SV&qid=1647539745&sr=8-5
could be used in combination with a non quick charge charger, just only providing 5 volt and at least 1 amp. this for any smarter charger also use the data lines to comunicate for asked chargeing power, wich could damage either your hdd or your wii in the proces.

CoolMe

"Action-packed movie" star
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, it could be just the way it plays on real hardware. Those youtubers they could use either to play on Dolphin with higher settings, increased frame rate or whatever and put in "Wii" on the title, so it's smooths the gameplay and you start wondering why yours isn't the same. I also see that the game was released for PS3 & PC too, so same thing applies.
I would say if there's no stuttering in FMVs or throughout the whole gameplay, not just when it changes locations, then that's just how it plays. I remember encountering some stuttering with "Overkill" in those sections though i thought it's because i was using the disc.
Also FWIW, is the game the same region as your wii?

Chris2055

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, it could be just the way it plays on real hardware. Those youtubers they could use either to play on Dolphin with higher settings, increased frame rate or whatever and put in "Wii" on the title, so it's smooths the gameplay and you start wondering why yours isn't the same. I also see that the game was released for PS3 & PC too, so same thing applies.
I would say if there's no stuttering in FMVs or throughout the whole gameplay, not just when it changes locations, then that's just how it plays. I remember encountering some stuttering with "Overkill" in those sections though i thought it's because i was using the disc.
Also FWIW, is the game the same region as your wii?
I considered the possibility that it could just be Dolphin or maybe even vWii. It's possible. There's no lag or stuttering in other games and it doesn't happen during the FMVs in this game. It seems to happen only when the camera is panning around the room or to new areas, as seen in the videos.

Additionally, the dolphin wiki says this about the game:

The game will stutter as new areas load. This happens on real consoles as well, but can be accounted for on Dolphin by enabling Speed Up Disc Transfer Rate under the games Properties.

So it does seem to have to do with the disc transfer rate and can be fixed in Dolphin. The thing that has me puzzled is that I'm playing from the HDD, but maybe the Wii only transfers at the same rate as the optical drive so it doesn't break compatibility with other games? I don't know.

The game is NTSC and being played on an NTSC Wii and an NTSC CRT TV through component.

Reactions: CoolMe

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it does seem to have to do with the disc transfer rate and can be fixed in Dolphin.
Yep that's what i thought.. Like i've said, i have noticed the stuttering when changing areas as you've described with my NTSC disc too..
The thing that has me puzzled is that I'm playing from the HDD, but maybe the Wii only transfers at the same rate as the optical drive
External HDD will give a slight boost in speed but not too much, it'll help in loading data, faster loading screens etc, but in this case the hdd doesn't eliminate the stutter because that's how the game was programmed to run on real hardware, it stutters because it's tasking the limited hardware, and even if you install the game on an external SDD it would result in the same thing.

Reactions: Chris2055

Chris2055

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep that's what i thought.. Like i've said, i have noticed the stuttering when changing areas as you've described with my NTSC disc too..

External HDD will give a slight boost in speed but not too much, it'll help in loading data, faster loading screens etc, but in this case the hdd doesn't eliminate the stutter because that's how the game was programmed to run on real hardware, it stutters because it's tasking the limited hardware, and even if you install the game on an external SDD it would result in the same thing.
Strange thing is though, some people claim not to have it. See XFlak's reply to this thread, for example.

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Strange thing is though, some people claim not to have it. See XFlak's reply to this thread, for example.
I think he meant as in it doesn't stutter throughout the whole game, suggesting an issue with the hdd/disc, which is not the case here, as it only drops frames when it changes areas & spawns a group of enemies.. The rest of the game is fine.

Chris2055

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, well I guess unless I run into any problems with other games I'll just assume it's the way this game is. It's very strange that they released the game in this state, but plenty of people seemed to be unhappy with this version of the game at release so it's not beyond belief. Thanks all.

TheThief

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting topic. I have the disc and played through a few times after getting it when it released. It did have some noticable stutter. When i put the game on my hard drive and played I through usbloader GX i noticed right away that stutter was significantly less. I even put the disc and played the same levels over to see the difference. The result was less stutter when playing off drive.

The only other game that ive noticed an improvement in gameplay when playing off a hard drive was Red Steel 2. The load times are improved, that is, doors between areas open quicker.

Reactions: Chris2055 and XFlak

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

I'm not sure if it's my USB HDD causing the stuttering or if this game is just like that. I've seen some posts online that claim the game is just this way, but there's also YouTube videos of the game on original Wii without the stutter. I don't see this issue in other games as far as I can tell, so I'm inclined to believe it's the game. Is there some way to make it run without the hitching / micro stuttering?
Tested it with the NTSC Version - no Issues.
Do you have some Cheats maybe enabled ?
Did you have used a Zapper or other 3rd Party Device maybe ?

Thank you.:)

Reactions: Chris2055

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon: anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator is bad in my book, i...