Gaming Izuna Legend of the Unemployed Ninja

DespizingU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just started this game last night, and I'm completely hooked on it. Actually, I'm really liking this genre. I can't believe in all my gaming years I never really played rogue-likes(or if I did I never realized it).

So, I did a search here on this game, and it looks like it's pretty unpopular and not really liked. Why is this? So far I'm really liking the graphics, the characters, the writing, and the gameplay. Sure, the game can be kind of unforgiving. But once you get leveled up a few times it gets much easier. It does kind of suck that once you die in a dungeon you get kicked out, and lose all your money and items. So I guess that could be a reason why people don't like it. But I kinda think it's fun. Once you die and get kicked out you go through it again and raise a level or two. By the end of the first dungeon I was already at level 11.

I never even tried this game because of the bad reviews it received. And usually I'm not the type that really pays attention to others opinions on a game. But for some reason I did with Izuna. So I'm really glad last night I gave the game a chance.

So what am I not seeing that has made this game so not liked?

Also, what are some other rogue-likes on the DS that I might like? I already know about Shiren and the new Pokemon. Are there any others?

Thanks for any opinions and recommendations.

AXYPB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is exactly how I came upon it as well. I started it by recommendation of a fan of this kind of thing and I'm glad I followed up on it.

As for why this sort of game isn't liked, the only theory I can come up with is that most gamers today aren't aware of the original Rogue and are probably spoiled on modern RPGs that are much more accommodating. Their loss.

MyauChanDesu

Kamineko is GOD.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Here's something for you...

Izuna 2: The Unemployed Ninja Returns

yaynds.gif

Dhaos_Niko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I've just started the game too, and i think it is actally hard. But i nerve give up and if necessary i'll continue to die at the third floor of the snake hole again and again, until i can pass over. Pretty difficult game, i must admit it but i like it also for this factor.

MyauChanDesu

Kamineko is GOD.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Dhaos_Niko said:
I've just started the game too, and i think it is actally hard. But i nerve give up and if necessary i'll continue to die at the third floor of the snake hole again and again, until i can pass over. Pretty difficult game, i must admit it but i like it also for this factor.

me too..

i found the game quiet hard the first time~ and yeah.. it's better than those games that are too easy..

wynsezhello

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
try POWDER. its difficult at first and i don't think you'll be able to upgrade/customize your weapons. but you do get skills. there are also a lot of homebrew rougelikes out there. haven't tried all of them though.

Chrono_Tata

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
There's also a NetHack DS. Pretty brutal old-school roguelike. Extremely fun once you get into it though you're gonna need to do a bit of research to play the quest properly.

DespizingU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still loving the game. I did however start the third dungeon, and there is more levels in it than the first and second. I got all the way to the tenth level in the third one(where I believe there were only five levels in the first and second dungeon), and I died. That pissed me off a bit. But I just keep going.

So I'm really liking this type of unforgivable gameplay. After I finish this I will move onto Shiren. Then hit Izuna 2 when it comes out. I'm really hooked on this genre now.

And I'm guessing Izuna, Shiren, and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers are the only rogue-likes on the DS? What do you guys think of the Pokemon one? I've never really been a Pokemon fan(just never saw the big deal about catching them all). But seeing as this isn't your typical Pokemon game, I'm going to eventually give it a try.

jeronz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
DespizingU said:
I'm still loving the game. I did however start the third dungeon, and there is more levels in it than the first and second. I got all the way to the tenth level in the third one(where I believe there were only five levels in the first and second dungeon), and I died. That pissed me off a bit. But I just keep going.

So I'm really liking this type of unforgivable gameplay. After I finish this I will move onto Shiren. Then hit Izuna 2 when it comes out. I'm really hooked on this genre now.

And I'm guessing Izuna, Shiren, and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers are the only rogue-likes on the DS? What do you guys think of the Pokemon one? I've never really been a Pokemon fan(just never saw the big deal about catching them all). But seeing as this isn't your typical Pokemon game, I'm going to eventually give it a try.

Izuna 1 and 2, Shiren 1 and 2, Pokemon Dungeon Dark and Time, and Tao's Adventure: Curse of the Demon Seal are all the commercial roguelikes. I loved Izuna, too. I think it got poor reviews because its a roguelike not because its a bad game. Most people don't enjoy that type of gameplay. I've finished the game and am level 99, except I haven't been able to beat the bonus dungeon. Remember to buy a Kikan before you go into a dungeon. And stick kikan to good equipment you don't want to lose.

DespizingU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^Lol...nice.

jeronz said:
Izuna 1 and 2, Shiren 1 and 2, Pokemon Dungeon Dark and Time, and Tao's Adventure: Curse of the Demon Seal are all the commercial roguelikes. I loved Izuna, too. I think it got poor reviews because its a roguelike not because its a bad game. Most people don't enjoy that type of gameplay. I've finished the game and am level 99, except I haven't been able to beat the bonus dungeon. Remember to buy a Kikan before you go into a dungeon. And stick kikan to good equipment you don't want to lose.

I will definitely keep the Kikan in mind. Is that available from the beginning, because I'm not sure if I've came across one yet. I could just be being forgetful though. Thank you for the tip. You got any other good ones?

I didn't know Tao's was a rogue-like too. I'll have to check this one out also.

Thanks.

DespizingU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
_Unmei_ said:
DespizingU said:
^Lol...nice.
You've just proven my theory correct.

What? That I'm playing this solely to look at Izuna? I really had no idea who Izuna even was when I started this game. And all I've basically seen of her in the game, so far, is a little cartoon looking girl on the bottom screen. I certainly haven't seen no images in the game so far that even comes close to the ones you posted. Not everyone(or even "90%" as you put it) that plays this game is some hot and bothered teenager that is in it just too look at a female character. And frankly that's a little pathetic you would even assume that.

I was actually commenting on the hilarity of your post, and not the actual images. I'm hooked on this game right now because I have just discovered the rogue-like genre, and the somewhat funny writing and characters(or did you not even bother to read my previous posts?). And not because some little girl in pink is the main character. I think you need to grow up a little.

Private|Par

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Unmei, I don't think anyone who actually played the game properly would think Izuna is hot, you really can't see ANYTHING of her. I enjoyed this, but like most people have been saying, Shiren is a much better experience in the roguelike genre. BTW, Unmei, now I've seen those posters I'm definately going to be picking up Izuna 2.

jeronz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
DespizingU said:
^Lol...nice.

jeronz said:

I will definitely keep the Kikan in mind. Is that available from the beginning, because I'm not sure if I've came across one yet. I could just be being forgetful though. Thank you for the tip. You got any other good ones?

I didn't know Tao's was a rogue-like too. I'll have to check this one out also.

Thanks.

You can buy all talismans from a guy that you cure after the second dungeon (I think its second) He is in the north east part of the main area up some stairs if I recall correctly. Kikan are 10000 each very cheap, you can also farm them in the first dungeon. Kikan only costs 5 SP, use it if you're in danger of dying and losing your equipment. If you stick it on something then that piece of equipment will be sent to storage. By the way, stick talismans along with a kikan onto an arm (8 slots) then you'll keep all those talismans when you die! Peel them off by going to that NPC next to the repair guy.

Other tips?

Do you know about upgrading equipment? If you stick like a rikai on like a sword, then use a burn-in flame the talisman is lost but the swords stats rise a bit. You can also upgrade the SP capacity with zoufuku + burn in flame. The reason you want to burn stuff in is that you'll come across creatures and traps that destroy your talismans in your inventory and on your equipment. Don't bother with this till a bit later in the game IMO.

Did you know you can throw talismans at enemies and theyll use them?

Can't think of anything else!

AXYPB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After you unlock the Talisman shop, the unforgiving part becomes a non-issue as long as you have a Kikan and collect at least 10000 coins each time you enter a dungeon. That said, I find that it takes me no less than twenty trips to actually get to the bottom of a dungeon.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon: anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator is bad in my book, i...