Apple Jailbreak - what next?

ZeD

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
A few weeks ago I jail broke my iphone using Jailbreakme.com.
Now i want to know if there are any other steps I must follow so i can easily update my iphone and keep it jail broken

thanks

EDIT: Version 4.0

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
First of all, in Cydia, press the "make my life easier" button. That will allow you to downgrade later. Also, it is usually recommended to not update the firmware unless there is a jailbreak for it.

ZeD

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ok I'll try that in a bit. I also looked at the "thinking of upgrading" section on Cydia and it talks about Pwnage Tool? :S
Pretty New to this sorry guys

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
That section on Cydia actually hasn't been updated in a while, hence why it makes no mention of 4.x.

iOS 4.1 has not been publicly jailbroken yet, so don't update just yet (unless you want to lose your jailbreak)! Now that you're done with Star/Jailbreakme, you should close up the exploit that it used (if left as-is, a malicious web site can run code to steal your information). To get the fix, search for "PDF Patch" in Cydia, and install it.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Just decide what it is you want. I suggest installing CyDelete, Winterboard, iFile, Safari Download Manager and Yourtube 2 (if you don't want to pay there are some swashbuckling repositories for Cydia/Rock you can add but I can't really mention)
I also think you should install Rock. Its a Cydia alternative/replacement which tends to be quicker to update its catalogue but a little buggier at installing/uninstalling things. As well as this it also keeps a backup of all your installed packages/repositories so that if you restore and re-jailbreak you can easily redownload and reinstall all your packages.

If you have an iPhone3G you should also download backgrounder which will let you activate multitasking and tweak it so its not as demanding on RAM (set it so that only apps that actually run in the background e.g. Skype use it and ones that just take up space e.g. Games don't). I'm not sure exactly how to get wallpapers enabled natively in iOS but I know its a simple plist edit which you'll probably find all over the place in the Cydia store.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Glad I bought a card reader type c and usb A makes life easy
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i download movies on my PC that is connected to my living room tv.
    Monitors are too small for my bad eyesight so I use my main tv and wirelss keyboard and wireless trackball mouse.
    I tried wireless transfer on phone before and yes, it's garbage. lol. So sloooooooooowwwwww.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    New south park was not really that funny.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i heard modern south park is too serious
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did it hurt your feelings?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Some are still funny, but they always try to use a subject matter related to something going on today.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All you need is one dose of Lizzo to make yourself feel better
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Who tf is lizzo
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They always make valid points on that show and it goes over people's heads over sensitivity reasons
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @BigOnYa i mean south park did that way back in the day too
    +2
    remember the Michael Jackson episodes?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or blaming the only jew in the show on 9/11 or having the police shoot the only black kid during a school shooting or saying Kanye a gay fish list goes on
    +2
    the gay fish thing was funny as fuck
    +1
    and i don't even follow or care about kanhye
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Everytime i hear that real song, i think of that episode, "I'm a Gay fish yal."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So was the way they showed how messed up the American health system was to get anything done
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont watch south park that much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Old people driving was a funny one, like cars up on 2nd/3rd floors in houses. Had to shut down old country buffet to stop them.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBpKupfQEKE