LulzSec warns NHS about security

What do you think of LulzSec?

• Hate them. Wish there was less of them in USN.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Love 'em! Keep it up guys!

• Don't care really....

• Total voters

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
emigre said:
Tanveer said:
shaunj66 said:
These guys are amazingly talented but can we really trust what they say? They seem sincere enough but who could blame someone for being pessimistic?

Let's hope the companies they tell heed their warnings before any other hacker groups catch wind of weak security.
I hope GBAtemp is safe lol.

@emigre
they havent done any damage, and props for that.
but hopefully they will not continue creeping on the web like that.

If I was the Secretary of State or Minister of State in the Health Ministry and I found out NHS records had been compromised. I would be giving props that an anonymous, unaccountable hacker group who have engaged in illegal activity did not compromise NHS records. I would be angry this group compromised NHS records, which they have no right in doing so. Lulzsec are just internet anarchists, there's nothing to admire.

I agree, that's like giving props to an arsonist for not burning down your house but saying it's very flammable.

Maybe if these guys did it on a consistent basis I would admire them, but instead they just enjoy getting shits and giggles out of exposing personal information from websites. They're bullies, to say the least.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Having dealt with NHS IT at various levels (coders out there if you ever get to interface with the systems just run as fast as you can) I am shocked it has taken this long.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
emigre said:
Tanveer said:
shaunj66 said:
These guys are amazingly talented but can we really trust what they say? They seem sincere enough but who could blame someone for being pessimistic?

Let's hope the companies they tell heed their warnings before any other hacker groups catch wind of weak security.

@emigre

If I was the Secretary of State or Minister of State in the Health Ministry and I found out NHS records had been compromised. I would be giving props that an anonymous, unaccountable hacker group who have engaged in illegal activity did not compromise NHS records. I would be angry this group compromised NHS records, which they have no right in doing so. Lulzsec are just internet anarchists, there's nothing to admire.

I agree, that's like giving props to an arsonist for not burning down your house but saying it's very flammable.

Maybe if these guys did it on a consistent basis I would admire them, but instead they just enjoy getting shits and giggles out of exposing personal information from websites. They're bullies, to say the least.

Well, it's better to be hacked with no harm done than to be hacked and have harm done. Of course it's better to not be hacked at all, but if you only had the choice of the former 2....

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
ferofax said:
as far as i know, they're real-life modern cyber Robin Hoods.
Robin Hood steals from the rich and gives it to the poor.

LulzSec on the other hand, steals large amounts of personal data from large companies for no particular important reason other than because they dislike them and for the "lulz".

I really, really hate the praise being given to them.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
emigre said:
Tanveer said:
shaunj66 said:

@emigre

well they did actually hack into the site

so it more like a robber who broke into your house, stole stuff, then mailed you about all the stuff they stole and told you to get better security

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 said:
Guild McCommunist said:
emigre said:
Tanveer said:
shaunj66 said:

@emigre

well they did actually hack into the site

so it more like a robber who broke into your house, stole stuff, then mailed you about all the stuff they stole and told you to get better security

Actually, more like making a copy than actual stealing. Kinda like pirating, yes?

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess, so instead of stealing stuff they made copies of important documents (SS card, ect...) that were in your house. and mailed them to you saying they have them
they still should not be praised for committing a crime

gloweyjoey

who??
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 said:
I guess, so instead of stealing stuff they made copies of important documents (SS card, ect...) that were in your house. and mailed them to you saying they have them
they still should not be praised for committing a crime
More like make copies of your keys. All they got from this server was admin info and affiliate contact information.

shadowmanwkp

Your roms are on another rom site
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
disregard previous statement, due to this: http://gbatemp.net/t296493-lulzsec-decline...-site?&st=0

Original post
You know what is weird? There are a lot of hackers who do the same, but they don't tell anybody about it. There are a lot of hackers that only expose the security holes in a company's network, but won't do anything with the data. Why do they do this? Some companies actually offer a lot of money for people who find their security holes, but they do have to hush it, in order to avoid bad publicity. This might also be the story about lulzsec. I don't really think they're the Samaritans that don't ask anything from the hacked companies. I think they just want to cash in on this development and that the people who read their tweets are getting the wrong idea of them.

I don't mean that this is a bad development however, it is actually very good that companies promote this kind of behavior, because it will enhance their security. That said, lulzsec is getting the right idea with these kinds of hacks/penetrations.

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sausage Head said:
they probably will if they ignore that 'warning'
The fact that they're a prestigious organization means they will ignore it. They should not try and play it down and heed this warning.

On another note, Lulzsec might be doing more harm than good by letting everyone know that there is a flaw in their security. Other hackers could find out about this and try and hack for themselves.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ai - "Yea baby, bring it on."