Hacking My VC Rom Injecting Method

stev418

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ok, im going to try and explain the process i use, it may be messy and i am assuming you can already use a hex editor. This will not be a tutorial, i will just explain what i do, you will have to read on how do use each program (sorry but im sick and busy atm)

I make these for a PAL wii, if you have an NTSC wii, you might need to try using a different base rom (such as DKC2 NTSC, you can always replace the banner file 00000000.app from the rom i use so you get the blank channel preview)

Tools I use :

1 - hex editor (ultra edit)
2 - Your 'HOST' channel, I use Donkey.Kong.Country.2.Diddys.Kong.Quest.VC.PAL.REPACK.Wii-BlaZe, if you have an NTSC wii you may be better off using the NTSC version.
3 - Wadtool
4 - bfgr_wadtools_v038c
5 - vc_n64_rom_injector_1.1
6 - bannertool
7 - wadpacker-VERSION_0[1].00007
8 - HashCalc
9 - NSRT Frontend Version 1.0 (For use with NSRT 3.3 Final SNES TOOL)
10 - CMDhere powertoy for window XP (This always you to open a command line simply be right clicking on the folder)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Getting your wad files extracted :

1 - Extract the .tik and .tmd file from the Chrono.Trigger.SNES.PAL.CTCT using bfgr_wadtools_v038c (as i can work out how to 'find common-key" that all the files i can extract

2 - Use Wadtool to extract the .APP file, it creates .DES files, just rename them to 00000000.app, 00000001.app and so on.

3 -
Prepare the rom (SNES rom in this case) by removing header with NSRT Frontend Version 1.0 (For use with NSRT 3.3 Final SNES TOOL) and by using hex editor to pad file to 4194304bytes

4 - Use vc_n64_rom_injector_1.1 to inject the rom into 00000005.app file
a) Put the tmd file, the 00000005.app file, and the snes rom into vc_n64_rom_injector_1.1 folder
b) Rename snesrom.smc to rom.z64 (this is just for ease of use with the program)
c) As its designed for n64 insertion you need to enter the correct offset and rom size manually
d) --> type 788480 as ROM OFFSET and 4194304 as ROM SIZE
e) Click ROM INJECTION
f) Open the patched 00000005.app file in HASHCALC and copy the SHA1 value from HASHCALC into vc_n64_rom_injector_1.1 where it says "manueller fix" SHA1, check the box and click SHA1 hash fixen. This corrects the SHA1 hash for the 00000005.app file in the .TMD file.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Changing ID and channel name for seperate channel install :

1 - Open .tik file in hex editor and goto offset 0x0001e0 where you will see four letters, change these to something else, like FFOP and save

2 - Open .tmd file in hex editor and goto offset 0x000190 where you will see four letters, change these to the same as well, and save.

3 - Open the 00000000.app file using bannertool and type the name you want (this is what will be displayed in wii channel preview)

4 - Since we've altered the 00000000.app file, we need to correct the SHA1 hash in the .tmd file the that.

5 - Open 00000000.app file in hasshcalc to get SHA1 hash value. Open .tmd file in hex editor and goto offset 0x0001f4 where you need to enter the new value, save

Creating the wad file :

1 - Copy all the app files as well as the title.tmd, title.tik files to the wadpacker-VERSION_0[1].00007 folder
a) you should also have the in the folder the common-key.bin file, a title.cert file and 2 .dll files.

2 - Right click on the wadpacker-VERSION_0[1].00007 folder and start cmdhere on the folder

3 - Run wadpacker (i called my exe file wad7, so i just type wad7 to run it)

4 - Put the created wad file on your wii

Well, it may not be the easiest way to do things but it works for me, hope it helps.

NOTE: The hex offset values i used are for the files in Donkey.Kong.Country.2.Diddys.Kong.Quest.VC.PAL.REPACK.Wii-BlaZe, if you use a different base channel the values may change. The NTSC DKC2 should have the same offsets

gwiz210

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By using this method, would there be a possibility that some games un-compatible with the other method may be compatible with this one?

stev418

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i use ultra edit

Also, i have now worked out how to specify the .app file size so you can insert larger roms then the originals
smile.gif

details are in the 'rom injector for vc games thread"

tried Tales of Phantasia (Only gets to classic controller screen)

NikoK

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So for n64 compatibility do you have a decent list of games that work exclusively with your method?

Mischief Makers?
Goldeneye?
Majora's Mask?
Conkers Bad Fur Day?

blu9987

Trophies
Website
www.clan-geno.net
XP
Country
United States
amazingly enough, doing it this way fixed the title and ticket error, but now i get ret -1022

does this mean I have an incorrect common-key.bin ?
i've made an injected game with the same one before.....

perhaps its because i'm using the Homebrew channel?

zant

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, id like to know if there is exclusive or better compatability w/ n64 roms then creffca's inject tool.
I doubt there is, since creffca's tool automatically inserts the data at the right offset and ends at the right offset, so that it replaces the rom and fills the rest with "dummy" data.

megabug7

Forum Relic
Trophies
XP
Country
How do you pad the rom to 4194304 bytes - you don't explain that bit

I removed the header - rom is now 3,145,728 bytes - I'm stuck now

megabug7

Forum Relic
Trophies
XP
Country
Well I can't get the translated version of Bahamut Lagoon to work properly

stev418 said:
Just FYI Bahamut Lagoon is working perfectly injected into DKC2

I can't find anything about padding a snes rom on google.

I tried a program called Jabba which allowed me to extend the file to 4,194,304 bytes from it's 3,145,728 bytes (Bahamut Lagoon.fig with Header removed)

Removing the header didn't work as it just crashed after the classic controller screen.

So on my second attempt I left the header intact and it worked exactly the same as doing it the automatic way.

No Intro music - you can force the music to start by moving the D-Pad on the Title Screen, but once in game it crashes just before you start the first mission.

frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/wZgjSNb-o4c?si=ajt4Lgq_LTYcXxs2 +1