Hacking {{N3ds users ONLY}} post your results if you are going to downgrade.

Kafke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
US N3DS, Animal Crossing HHD bundle. Used the newest/safe systemupdater. Softbricked the first time, did recovery to 10.3, then downgraded free and clear. Only had to boot it 2-3 times each to get it running.

You make me want to downgrade so hard. I got a soft-brick the first time and updated back. Seeing the "then downgraded free and clear" makes me hopeful. But I'm watching that damn poll with a 24% complete brick. Still no confirmation on whether the downgrader is safe or not...

Koinu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You make me want to downgrade so hard. I got a soft-brick the first time and updated back. Seeing the "then downgraded free and clear" makes me hopeful. But I'm watching that damn poll with a 24% complete brick. Still no confirmation on whether the downgrader is safe or not...
Honestly, I think it works well enough. Most bricks I've seen so far have been from people flashing the wrong firmware. Worst case is you get a soft brick which is easily fixable, if you don't have tubedns set up.

You'll never hit a homerun if ya don't swing.

Kafke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, I think it works well enough. Most bricks I've seen so far have been from people flashing the wrong firmware. Worst case is you get a soft brick which is easily fixable, if you don't have tubedns set up.

You'll never hit a homerun if ya don't swing.

I swung and got a soft-brick. Are we clear? I don't want to fuck up my expensive N3DS spectacularly and be left with nothing. Can't afford a new one at the moment. As I said, the rising number of complete bricks on the poll isn't exactly enticing.

I'm waiting on confirmation that it's safe (at least to the point where it'll soft-brick instead of hard-brick).

troa11

Older Than You
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To add to my earlier post, I did md5 verify, teracopied and used the newer build of system updater that installs things in a safer order. It's my understanding that if you use that version and if you indeed have the correct firmware files for your 3DS/region, it's pretty difficult to do more than softbrick.

Kafke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To add to my earlier post, I did md5 verify, teracopied and used the newer build of system updater that installs things in a safer order. It's my understanding that if you use that version and if you indeed have the correct firmware files for your 3DS/region, it's pretty difficult to do more than softbrick.

I'm on a mac, so no teracopy for me. I am using the julien20 build that was posted. And, to my knowledge, have the correct files. So... no hard-brick risk? I'm just worried about finally giving it a go and the app completely shitting itself on me.

troa11

Older Than You
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on a mac, so no teracopy for me. I am using the julien20 build that was posted. And, to my knowledge, have the correct files. So... no hard-brick risk? I'm just worried about finally giving it a go and the app completely shitting itself on me.

I personally wouldn't do it without some way to verify the files copied to the SD card. And of course triple checking that I do indeed have the correct ones. That said, the new updater is safer, it only deletes cias as it installs them and does the FIRM last. Mine gave the black screen "error occurred" after about a dozen .cias the first time but recovery fixed it fine.

I'm not going to say it's impossible to brick, but the risk seems pretty low to me if you eliminate all user error.

Reactions: Kafke

tyty123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

just wait then... you already explained yourself earlier after giving it a shot and it not working out... and you cant afford to buy a replacement... so just wait...

i downgraded 3 just fine... two were on 9.9 and one was on 9.6 :)

two are launch n3ds
one is mh4u bundle n3ds

Reactions: Kafke

Kafke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright. I'll hold off for tonight, and see what developments come by tomorrow. If nothing, then I'll bite the bullet and try again. It sounds safe enough. I'm guessing that my soft-brick was a similar scenario as your's troa. So I'm guessing I should be fine.

SonicHyuga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thing is, for those who may be waiting for KTM, it will be more or less the same. If you constantly get a soft brick, you're most likely going to with KTM, too.

@Kafke, do you by chance have any theme layouts saved? Really would like to figure this out without resorting to formatting.

Reactions: Dedede

tornadog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
downgraded fine after formatting system memory. I was trying to install rxtools and could not get the gateway link to load...I can do browserhax and menuhax fine though.

Kafke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thing is, for those who may be waiting for KTM, it will be more or less the same. If you constantly get a soft brick, you're most likely going to with KTM, too.

@Kafke, do you by chance have any theme layouts saved? Really would like to figure this out without resorting to formatting.

I don't at the moment, but I have the feeling I probably did before I tried downgrading. Could that be the issue? I remember trying out the feature, but I don't know if I had any saved. As for themes themselves, I only have the Monster Hunter 4G and Sonic themes installed. IIRC they were both free. I've never paid for a theme. I don't have themehax installed.

SonicHyuga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't at the moment, but I have the feeling I probably did before I tried downgrading. Could that be the issue? I remember trying out the feature, but I don't know if I had any saved. As for themes themselves, I only have the Monster Hunter 4G and Sonic themes installed. IIRC they were both free. I've never paid for a theme. I don't have themehax installed.
Theme Layouts cannot be deleted through the menu itself, so if you had any before, you have them now. They are likely stored on the SD card, but I believe it may also be saved within the NAND in some way. I really can't think of anything else other than this, and there isn't enough confirmation to tell.

Kafke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Theme Layouts cannot be deleted through the menu itself, so if you had any before, you have them now. They are likely stored on the SD card, but I believe it may also be saved within the NAND in some way. I really can't think of anything else other than this, and there isn't enough confirmation to tell.

Theme layout as in the that option "Home menu layout save/load" right under the theme select? That, along with my icon layout/folders I had were wiped when I updated back to 10.3 after my soft-brick.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3