Name the Switch successor: what should Nintendo call its new console?

switch2.jpg

Nintendo has officially announced that a successor to the beloved Switch console is on the horizon. As we eagerly anticipate what innovations this new device will bring, there's one fun piece of the puzzle left undecided: its name.

The name of a console is more than just a label; it's the first impression, a brand identity, and often, a crucial element in its success or failure. Think back to the Nintendo Wii, which despite its unusual name, revolutionized gaming with its motion controls and family-friendly appeal. On the flip side, we have the Wii U, whose name caused quite a bit of confusion and didn't resonate as well with the audience.

1715136334073.png

This is where you come in! Nintendo has always been about innovation and community, and what better way to honor that spirit than by inviting you, the fans, to help name the next generation console? Whether you think it should be something classic like the "Switch 2" or something more creative like "Super Switch Ultra Deluxe" we want to hear your most creative and catchy ideas. Don't hold back—post your naming ideas in the comments below. Feel free to upvote the names you love, and why not add your twist to someone else’s suggestion?

ViDeOmAnCiNi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, if they keep selling the original/OLED Switch, then the new one would be the Switch Pro for the differentiation. That seems very Nintendo IMHO.

Ampersound

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Switch 2. I feel reasonably strongly that any other name would be a mistake. The name "Wii U" shot that console in the foot. Even now I often find people who still think it was just an add-on or a pro model of the Wii. I could definitely see a name like "Super Switch" having the same effect. The average person is already acquainted with sequential numbering in their electronics' names from smartphones, WIndows (kind of), PlayStation etc. "Switch 2" is clear and concise, and it can't be misinterpreted.
Nintendo has never used that kind of numbering for console upgrades.
They're not gonna start now,
it's also rather unlike them to do so, every one of their consoles needs to be its own unique thing.
Since the new joycons apparently use magnets they might use this as part of the name too, or some other defining feature.

The best I can come up with is 'Polarity Switch',
but Nintendo wouldn't do a pun with their naming scheme, I feel like.

Reactions: mlemm

Memfis

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
My suggestions:
1) DEUOWSU = Dont Emulate Us Or We Sue You
2) SUAB = Shut Up (and) Buy
3) OWM = Only Want Money
4) HOF = Hate Our Fans

OK, one meant seriously suggestion:
5) GSS (Think sounds good, stands for General System Stability)

Last edited by Memfis,

Bonovox40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have this nagging suspicion they will call it something like the "Switch Snap"(or maybe ' Switch Click'), if the magnetic joycon rumors are a bigger gimmick than we expect.
Snap referring to the sound of magnets attracting together, and also the iconic Switch finger snap sound which will forever be identified with these consoles.

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless it's Switch 2, it's not going to have Switch in the name. Nintendo's not making another Wii U marketing fail.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Poke the boner lol. +1