Hacking New Retro Mario Bros. Wii

Bumpman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jceggbert5 said:
I won't be able to start for a couple weeks, but I called the name first by a long shot....

Before my laptop broke, I did part of 1-1, but I will be unable to develop NRMBWii further until I get it back.

Do you think I should put a working, but somewhat incomplete (mainly camera glitches), 1-1 (and logo) download link in the OP?
Most people don't care about you calling the name unless you have progress(Which you do, but so do I).

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
And why not just work together and have the mod done in half the time? Sometimes it could be too easy, but people seem to not want easy...

Bumpman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
And why not just work together and have the mod done in half the time? Sometimes it could be too easy, but people seem to not want easy...
That's what I'm kinda wanting.

Pop006

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Figuring out work around's for all the missing elements from the old games that are not in the new one, along with the required work to be done to get some levels just right, such as recreating a background mod to look like an older game TWICE, by two different teams is just ludicrous.

Also, who gives a sweet crap about who "claimed" the name NEW RETRO first, it's a very common, and very good name for a project like this, Stop bickering, and start working together. If not this/THESE projects will only end up confusing everyone and make everyone care a LOT less about them.

One Master remake team should be able to outweigh all other remakes done by everyone else on the web, IF, and only IF done right. Get it together guys or everyone loses

My 2 cents...

bnwchbammer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Heh, first DS now you're corrupting the Wii? Naw, that's cool as hell man, might as well, seems like you enjoy this quite a bit, which is good for everyone! Looking forward to it.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
VashTS said:
I made a level

[...]

Hooray

Hmm, that will get too easy if done 1:1. At least the little detail on how to grab 1up at the finish line. Or how to get above the level in 1-2 to get to the warp points.

But i guess these and other problems are by the very concept itself. Anyways, good work, looks nice.

toejam316

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
WiiPower said:
VashTS said:
I made a level

[...]

Hooray

Hmm, that will get too easy if done 1:1. At least the little detail on how to grab 1up at the finish line. Or how to get above the level in 1-2 to get to the warp points.

But i guess these and other problems are by the very concept itself. Anyways, good work, looks nice.
That'll be the hardest bit for these guys who want to remake the old games - modifying the levels to keep the same difficulty. Heights and things will probably need adjusting, and some things may need a work around (I'm not sure if they'll be able to do the level skip in 1-2 to 2-1, 3-1 or 4-1).

Gangboy

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
toejam316 said:
(I'm not sure if they'll be able to do the level skip in 1-2 to 2-1, 3-1 or 4-1).
That should be able (if possible) using a warppoint or something like that to the cannon level. Few pipes, all direct to that different cannon levels. If you get what I mean.
smile.gif

jceggbert5

Check out my hack, New Retro Mario Bros.
OP
Trophies
Website
romhaxor.bplaced.net
XP
Country
United States
Gangboy said:
toejam316 said:
(I'm not sure if they'll be able to do the level skip in 1-2 to 2-1, 3-1 or 4-1).
That should be able (if possible) using a warppoint or something like that to the cannon level. Few pipes, all direct to that different cannon levels. If you get what I mean.
smile.gif
The warp cannons seem to be only set up to work with worlds 5, 6, and 7 (destination), so I don't know if it will be possible, but I am still looking to see if I can do it
smile.gif

Bumpman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jceggbert5 said:
Gangboy said:
toejam316 said:
smile.gif
The warp cannons seem to be only programmed to work with worlds 5, 6, and 7 (destination), so I don't know if it will be possible, but I am still looking to see if I can do it
smile.gif
Edit the raw data. It may be programmed for all 8 worlds.
Personally, I'm going to do something different with mine(You'll see)

erolz

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
do you need the full iso to import the levels when its done? or does this also work with the scrubbed version?

Pop006

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think this project needs to be a little more... organized.
I am willing to help out with custom tilesets and backgrounds when I am not working on Newer stuff, but this team seems to be a bit of a mess at the moment. Random remake levels poping up on the filesite every hour, and no one is to know if it is by this team or what is going on.

I suggest you guys make a thread at http://rvlution.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=20 and start getting organized before every level you wanna do is remade by random people, and your project spins out of control.

I, personally, am not a huge fan of remakes, but if you are going to do this... do it right.

erolz

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
tj_cool said:
erolz said:
do you need the full iso to import the levels when its done? or does this also work with the scrubbed version?
I have the scrubbed game and it works fine

ok great! do you have any levels? how did you tested them?

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Can't you misuse some svn system for the levels? I'm thinking about using something like Google Code svn to hold the levels, and every member of the team has access to it and has to follow certain rules when uploading. This way 2 or more people could work on the same level without any problems.

PS: And it would be commented which version update of the level changed what, even if a svn system will only say "binary file changed"

Pop006

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DropBox works very well. the "commented which version update" is a bit harder unless you put a notepad file or something with the same filename, but that is hardly an issue for us (the Newer team) because we are all constantly in contact.

I've been trying to contact someone/anyone from this project for a few days now to no avail. Whoever the 'leaders' of this project are, should arrange a meet with us, I would be up for forming an alliance if you are ready and willing...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd rather spend like $150 more for a surround receiver.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I bought the game at launch never fucked with it until recently
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its fun, I like it, even tho I'm not a big harry potter fan. Like a wizard rpg. Flying around on a broomstick is cool.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Flying sucks ass on it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh just takes a min to get used to. I think you can upgrade or buy new broomstick also that are better.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I weirdly like inverted controls on all flying type games
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob can change it, inverted flying controls.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only thing that annoys me is trying to find wtf to do in it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Alright off to the store, later gators.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some places amaze me were not in network with your insurance would you still like an appointment
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    uhhh, I think I'll just stick with my PSP 3001
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol, Now I gotta go to the store for more Coffee Mate n other stuff.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i downloaded final fantasy vii into my tv stick
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean, the game was already there but its the japanese version
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i only downloaded disc 1 so far bc of storage stuff
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, yeah the patty on McDs burger is 1/10th of a pound now and I think that's the pre cooked weight lol
    I use the app for the 20% off coupon and it's still over priced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why is mcdonalds overpriced if their food is bad?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean why is mcdonalds food overpriced
    Inflation and greed
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's just fries, make 'em at home
    +2
    I make potato wedges at home with spices and stuff lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I make potato wedges at home with spices and stuff lol