I did some projects..
OP
Trophies
Website
www.power-ups.net
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Radio Nikkei says that Nintendo 3DS sold 207,000 units between 8-14 August, thanks to the price drop.
If you don't remember, this beat the second week of the launch window on 3DS, with 206,000 units sold.

http://market.radionikkei.jp/entry-206641.html

- Original news (a bit bad translated):
QUOTE said:
Do the stretch in succession of Nintendo on the 16th, and the effect of the price cut of 3DS also :. [ Brand information ]

2011/8/16 (Tuesday) 09:28

The stretch in succession of Nintendo in Osaka Securities Exchange in a leading market. This day is two weeks in August that the research company announced though the putting in observation from an integrated report of the east and Osaka Securities Exchange to stock index etc. were [haya]ed the day before. (Eight in August?The 14th)The number of the domestic sale of the Nintendo DS of ..drinking.. "" is supposed to have become 207,000 and to be done material [mi]. As for 3DS, the sales trend the value lowering saucer and afterwards had been being greatly paid to attention since the 11th. This exceeded 3DS 206,000 of the second week sales according to the analyst. The sense of security that the effect of the price cut appeared is supposed to have surfaced. However, after purchase comes back, it is a little unable to move upward. (H.W)

EDIT: Enterbrain Reports 215,000 3DS Sales Following Price Drop

TyRaNtM

I did some projects..
OP
Trophies
Website
www.power-ups.net
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Giga_Gaia said:
Are those good numbers?

Considering that the previous week, 3DS sold a bit more than 4,000 consoles, and a good week for a console or portable is something like 30,000-40,000, you can compare how these numbers are.
Also, the price drop started in August 11.

Dingoo-fan 32

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
More than PSP?
1913620460.gif

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its funny because some people seemed to think Nintendo was screwed. They've been in this business longer then any of their competitors, as much as we all hate to admit it they know what they are doing.

TLDR- Nintendo smart=plan works

Requios

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fear Zoa said:
Its funny because some people seemed to think Nintendo was screwed. They've been in this business longer then any of their competitors, as much as we all hate to admit it they know what they are doing.

TLDR- Nintendo smart=plan works

Unfortunately, they still have a lot of ground to cover in order to make up for poor sales. Besides that, They're certainly not gaining as much money per unit sold, so while it is good to see that they're selling more, it's also a bit sad to know that it won't help them recover, at least for a good while. Still, I'm sure Nintendo will endure it's current financial troubles. I just don't see them dropping out of the game, at least not for another decade.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Going by the standard price and the old price:

207,000 x $250 = $51,750,000
207,000 x $170 = $39,190,000

That's a difference of $12,560,000. I mention this because by August 8th, many places had already dropped the price, or had sales that set the price far below the $250 mark. In the long run, they likely lost around that $12.5m mark through having them sell at a lower price beforehand, plus stores officially dropping the price early.

To put it in perspective, at $250, 50k less units could have been sold to obtain the same amount of profit (well, more, but you can do the exact math).

I'm sure the numbers are far different than what I have, but it gives a general idea. It seems Nintendo is gonna pull a PS3 and really depend on their games to rack in the profit.

Z

Zorua

That sure is a considerable number. Hope that the 3DS excels and lots of good games come out for it!
biggrin.gif

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nathan Drake said:

That's a difference of $12,560,000. I mention this because by August 8th, many places had already dropped the price, or had sales that set the price far below the $250 mark. In the long run, they likely lost around that $12.5m mark through having them sell at a lower price beforehand, plus stores officially dropping the price early.

To put it in perspective, at $250, 50k less units could have been sold to obtain the same amount of profit (well, more, but you can do the exact math).

I'm sure the numbers are far different than what I have, but it gives a general idea. It seems Nintendo is gonna pull a PS3 and really depend on their games to rack in the profit.

Your example is good in theory, but you have to take into account that 207,000 units would not've happened as fast at $250. This isn't a race for money for each. It's getting the 3DS into as many people's hands as you can. More people have one, more games will sell, more things on the 3DS Shop will sell, more money Nintendo will make in the long run.

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
shinkukage09 said:
Nathan Drake said:

Your example is good in theory, but you have to take into account that 207,000 units would not've happened as fast at $250. This isn't a race for money for each. It's getting the 3DS into as many people's hands as you can. More people have one, more games will sell, more things on the 3DS Shop will sell, more money Nintendo will make in the long run.

Who is to say they wouldn't have happened as fast at a different time? Many people wait for a reliable library, but 20 free games can be good incentive to pick up a 3DS for building a good starter eshop library. These 20 free games are likely a bigger hit in Japan than anywhere else too due to the heavy Nintendo presence and love over there, thus the increased sales. I don't think this will have made as big of a difference in other parts of the world. The holiday season is going to boom for them anyways. It always does. I'll never be able to figure out why they didn't wait.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Nathan Drake said:

yes they are different in real life.
You know the people in store/ shippers/ manufacture personel etc need to make money too!
Add that to the recources to make the console + packaging, and the research cost that went into the product.

Nintendo KNOWS what they are doing and how to make a profit.

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
Hielkenator said:
Nintendo KNOWS what they are doing and how to make a profit.

No, Nintendo is quite obviously floundering around trying their hardest to scrape together a profit because of the criticism the 3DS is getting. They rushed, rushed, and are rushing more. If the 3DS does eventually end up flopping (though it is very unlikely that it will), it will be entirely their fault for continuously screwing up like they have been with it.

commdante

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just confirms a lot of people thought it to be overpriced ...

Maybe if they'd drop game prices in Europe, they might actually sell some games here too. I mean, $75 (49 euro) for a game is pushing it. That's more then PC games retail on (usually 45 euro).

Now, I often import my games from UK, which often has better prices for PC games (25-30 euro usually for new games) .But most of them sell their 3DS games still for 35-40 euro. Only the ones that are over 2 months old have a decent price of 20-25 euro.

I wonder why shops always price everything 50% extra (around 30% after taxes) ... I can understand the 20% tax ... but where is that other 30% coming from?

And then wonder why there is so much pirating in Europe ... -_-'

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I may try the new ram site, and download more RAM to my Switch. Not sure if ddr3 is the right...