Nintendo Switch firmware update 16.0.0 released, Atmosphere update coming soon

saddsad.png

A new update is available! Nintendo has just released a firmware update for the Switch, bringing it to version 16.0.0. The patch notes are pretty sparse, only offering a single specific change, which merely replaces unusable nicknames with "???". There's also some general system stability improvements, which unsurprisingly break support for CFW. SciresM has announced that a compatability update for Atmosphere will be worked on as soon as possible.

Ver. 16.0.0 (Released February 20, 2023)​

• User nicknames that cannot be used will be replaced with “???” which can be updated from the profile settings.
  • General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience.

:arrow: Source

Maq47

Lord of Pyro
Trophies
Website
idont.have.one
XP
Country
United States
It is a pretty big update it seems.

https://yls8.mtheall.com/ninupdates/titlelist.php?date=2023-02-21_00-05-09&sys=hac&gentext=1

New sysmodule: ngc-sysmodule (NGC? Nintendo Gamecube?)
This seems likely: https://yls8.mtheall.com/ninupdates...80f2150fe945ddb75f68aab4a.hactool_stdout.info

The info that can be gleaned from the linked page is:
1.) That it has a lot of accessible commands, meaning it isn't a simple application in any way
2.) That it has access to mounting content, which means it acts as a 'launcher' of sorts (not likely an emulator of some sort with such a small stack size, though; likely just a launcher for an emulator contained within a different game nca that will be released later).
These 2 alone lead me to suspect that it has a decent chance of having to do with GameCube games in some capacity.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I hate how barren and empty the Switch's OS is compared to the 3DS. No streetpass, no incentive to travel with it (again, streetpass), no official themes, no built-in RPG game, minimal layout choices, etc etc. Such a downgrade in that regard from the 3DS.

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
It's been a while since I've actually uh.. well, updated...
How do I do that again on my EmuMMC? (or as I would say, EmuNAND since the only diff is the type of chip it's "emulating")
...and how do i update hekate/the nyx gui?
Post automatically merged:

I hate how barren and empty the Switch's OS is compared to the 3DS. No streetpass, no incentive to travel with it (again, streetpass), no official themes, no built-in RPG game, minimal layout choices, etc etc. Such a downgrade in that regard from the 3DS.
Honestly. the LEAST they could've done is let you make cat/dog/rabbit miis on the switch (seeing how they've had at least SOME assets for them since the FRIGGIN' 3DS' LAUNCH) but no, still only just humans. Could've given the switch something to make it more unique minus the whole docked-to-portable-to-tabletop thing.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Why do people whine about themes? It most likely won't happen. If it would, it probably would have happened by now.

Yeah, probably. Doesn't make it any less annoying though.

Reactions: Xzi

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Once again they got a major number update with nothing. I really, really believed deep in my hearth that they would not do that :rofl:
Are they even aware that indexing the first digit, that comes before the dot, means MAJOR changes?
Nothing for user. This number represents changes under the hood.
Post automatically merged:

ngc is used in games SDK to provide profanity filter for years. So my guess it's used for word banning.
unknown-12.png

Last edited by masagrator,

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
No worries just make a thread and blame it on the cat. We will believe ya b/c its a common accident here ;)
Please sir can you help, Just yesterday I deleted my sysnand backup + also my emunand backup that was stored on GDrive, My sister's boyfriends, cousin that was visiting from out of town, lent my switch out to his girlfriends kid and the cat got hold of it and accidentaly managed to set it up on her wifi. Some cat food was spilled on the screen and when the cat was licking it off it somehow managed to update emunand - then it somehow also managed to reboot the switch and updated my sysnand. Now I get a black screen when trying to boot up and I am panicking as I was going to play a game today and am unable to wait until Atmosphere has been updated. also I think the cat ate the microsd card - can you help me please? PS. My uncle is a Nigerian prince and has lots of spare gold, it's locked by the government just now and only needs a small deposit of fifty thousand dollars to release, my Nigerian uncle says he can make you rich if you help him me but if you don't want to be rich - can you just give me your switch instead????

Your's Faithfully, Arthur C Chumley.

Last edited by mrdude,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Atleast online