Gaming Nintendo Wii. Do you like the new name?

Nintendo Wii - Do you like the new name?

• Oui oui!

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • I'm not sure...

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Nope.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mehdi

Lemonade by Psyfira
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Is it just Wee? i don't think so u can call it "W2" or "Wii too" (wanna play), "W(ireless) too", the compinations are many as long as u have imagination. And why is playsatation? a better name it always reminds me of bus station! xbox 360? i will never like this 360 at the end, that ofcourse didn't stop me from buying it. Remember the first time you had your DS in your hands? i'm sure the feeling wi(i)ll be even better with the new Wii's controler.

Ah yes, but are you the airhead teenaged boy who will buy any console as long as it has the Sony name on it? Or because it has the "360" (a common term used by skateboarders, BMX, etc)? Obviously not, or you'd be too busy writing graffiti on the walls, while listening to "fiddy cent"... to be here. That's the mass market: the uninformed and the sheep of society. The teen that buys a PS2 because his friends say Sony rock, the guy who buys the inferior HDTV for more money because it's a particular brand, the mom who buys her kids the $7 namebrand cereal when she could get the same thing from the noname company for less. That's who will reject the Wii, the mainstream. Those who arn't within our niche (but growing) circle of video game fans.

As long as I can play it I dont care what the sheep think.

diamdim

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
You're right i'm not the fun boy of sony or microsoft or nintendo. Everyone has something to offer, you can get all of them (if you can afford) or choose wise. Nintendo wants it's console to be the 2nd in the house, they've said that so many times. In any case you can't make everybody happy
smile.gif

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
laugh.gif
Very true, but the point is that without their money, there would be nothing to play, because the system would die. Nintendo's marketing strategies of late (except perhaps the DS), have been terrible. The GameCube, for example scraped along the edge of oblivion until later in its lifespan. What I mean is this: the fans arn't enough. We alone cannot keep a brand afloat. Without the general consumer, the products would fail, the the companys would die. :'(

W

wes

Wii is a small strong icon, it will grow on you, even the 14 year old "wee" jokers are helping spreading the word, Nintendo did a great job.

Wii - Believe.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
[rant]Alright, I'm pretty shocked at the misunderstanding of English all around the forum, IRC, and the internet in general.

Has everyone forgotten the actual definition of "wee"? It has two definitions in fact:

1. Very small; tiny.
2. Very early: the wee hours of the morning.

..or, as the word is derived from the Scots among us, "A short time; a little bit."

In slang, a "wee" means to urinate. A wee-wee is slang for penis .. so all the "playing with your wee, stepping on your wee" is all incorrect, and it's driving me mad reading it. Sure it's amusing at the beginning, but when you can't even use slang correctly it gets irritating![/rant]

..and to top it all off, it's not the Nintendo Wee, it's the Nintendo Wii! Welcome to English, where words can sound the same and have totally different meanings.

I'm lovin' it, to steal from McDonalds' worldwide friendly slogan.
smile.gif

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
lets assess what nintendo has done

simply by naming the console "wii"
theyve made news on every news related website and every forum I go to.
everywhere Ive been online people are discussing it
theyve guaranteed themselves much more media coverage come e3.

with three letters nintendo has already given their console a huge advantage.

its quite funny really when people are saying its going to hurt them with advertising it. Really its very smart.

Blebleman

GBAtemp Old-Timer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
About the naming problem, there's a cool solution.

"Wii love Smash Brothers" , following the "Wii love Katamari Damacy" idea.

[EDIT]

I actually wrote Wii instead of Wii for Katamari Damacy
blink.gif
It really IS growing on me.

[EDIT2]

AAAH! I did it again! These are seriously not done on purpose. My brain! It burns!

Hitto

MKDS Tournament Winner
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
bleble : it's a wordfilter. everythin with a "w" and an "e" next to it turns into wii.
examples : weeaboo, Wii will rock you, welcome to the jungle.

hank : sage.

incinerator

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Personally, I like it. But that's probably because I'm secure in my maturity.

What I worry about is the greater part of their target audience: teenagers. My observations have implied to me that the more immature the person is, the more conscious they are of how "mature" the games they play are. Of course an kid will want to play something called the Xbox 360 and play violent games on it, it makes them look cool. They will probably not buy into the Nintendo Wii, passing it off as a kid's toy.

Mature gamers (note, I didn't say age... I know some older gamers that are very immature) will buy a system and its games based on merit, not appearance. They're not concerned about how they look playing something called a Wii. Alas that it has to be this way... Nintendo has to cater to the kiddies by providing a "mature" product to shake their kiddy image. My own personal feelings aside, I'd say this is a bad move for Nintendo. They are already going out on a limb by changing (dare I say revolutionizing?) what Wii came to know as the mold for video games, the name is a very important piece of marketing to make sure the consumers buy into it. Instead, they've taken off their safety harness and climbed right out to the end of the limb. Now it's a huge gamble. If someone doesn't like the name, they probably won't even look into the product. Their marketing department has to work overtime and make sure the mainstream feels comfortable with the name before they launch their product.

P.S. Mature is in quotes because I believe adult content such as violence and nudity doesn't make a game mature. In fact, in many cases, I believe it makes it quite immature, although still unfit for younger audiences. I find the games that are most mature are the ones that find new, creative ways to engage your brain and your senses without trying to appeal to the masses by falling back on the tried and true blowing-people-away routine. A recent one that comes to mind immediately is Katamari.

Hitto

MKDS Tournament Winner
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
+1, Or Tetris, Sudoku, Brain Training...
Although my interest is piqued by red steel, just for the fact you can hold the gun "gangsta style", I'd just rather wanna see what Wiirioware will look like
smile.gif

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Personally, I like it. But that's probably because I'm secure in my maturity.

What I worry about is the greater part of their target audience: teenagers. My observations have implied to me that the more immature the person is, the more conscious they are of how "mature" the games they play are. Of course an kid will want to play something called the Xbox 360 and play violent games on it, it makes them look cool. They will probably not buy into the Nintendo Wii, passing it off as a kid's toy.

Mature gamers (note, I didn't say age... I know some older gamers that are very immature) will buy a system and its games based on merit, not appearance. They're not concerned about how they look playing something called a Wii. Alas that it has to be this way... Nintendo has to cater to the kiddies by providing a "mature" product to shake their kiddy image. My own personal feelings aside, I'd say this is a bad move for Nintendo. They are already going out on a limb by changing (dare I say revolutionizing?) what Wii came to know as the mold for video games, the name is a very important piece of marketing to make sure the consumers buy into it. Instead, they've taken off their safety harness and climbed right out to the end of the limb. Now it's a huge gamble. If someone doesn't like the name, they probably won't even look into the product. Their marketing department has to work overtime and make sure the mainstream feels comfortable with the name before they launch their product.

P.S. Mature is in quotes because I believe adult content such as violence and nudity doesn't make a game mature. In fact, in many cases, I believe it makes it quite immature, although still unfit for younger audiences. I find the games that are most mature are the ones that find new, creative ways to engage your brain and your senses without trying to appeal to the masses by falling back on the tried and true blowing-people-away routine. A recent one that comes to mind immediately is Katamari.

I completely agree with you. Infact, it's what I've been trying to say this whole while. It's not the diehard fans Nintendo has to worry about, it's the people who are only casual fans, or don't play video game yet at all. Heck, you could name the system the Nintendo GoGoSuperMagicHappyFunBox and the diehard fans would still buy it. However, it's all the others Nintendo needs to worry about, bringing new people into the gaming fold with the Wii is the target priority. They're already guaranteed to keep most of the fans they already have, it's the gaming newbies they have to take into consideration. And image (name included) is a big part of society. As I've stated before, more people buy products for the brand name and image, than they do for the actual quality *cough*iPod*cough*.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: MoM, I don't have to do homework, anymore :D:blush::D