Gaming Old school Adventure (Lucas Arts) etc...?

jonte511

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I miss the joy of playing the old Lucas Arts adventure games like the Monkey Island series, Grim Fandango etc.
biggrin.gif

Maybe this is why I like the Professor Layton games so much, since they are very much the same...

Are there any good games in this genre for the DS that are recommendable?

Thanks!

sgwiiboy

Trophies
XP
Country
jonte511 said:
I miss the joy of playing the old Lucas Arts adventure games like the Monkey Island series, Grim Fandango etc.
biggrin.gif

Maybe this is why I like the Professor Layton games so much, since they are very much the same...

Are there any good games in this genre for the DS that are recommendable?

Thanks!

You could play Monkey Island, Sam and Max etc with ScummVM DS.

Broken Sword - Shadow Of The Templars is a classic with a few nice touches on DS. It's worth a play even if you played it on PC a million times like I have.

phoenixclaws

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are a number of PC based adventure games being ported to the DS lately.

Syberia, Secret Files of Tunguska and Secret Files 2 - Puritas Cordis, Runaway, and a few others that I can't remember.
Oh of course, the classic Myst game although it handles a little differently on the NDS =\.

Honestly if some of the old classic publishers took a chance they'd make a killing with adventure games on the NDS.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well:
Broken Sword - Shadow Of The Templars
Runaway (there is a sequel coming out)

They're the only ones worth playing, there are loads others as there seems to be one a week released but they are poorly made. Aside from those you can also try the SCUMMVM program that'll let you play many oldies.

Also not quite the same there is the Phoenix Wright/Ace Attourney series and Hotel Dusk which are in the pointy clicky adventure but they're more detective than anything else.

There is also Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth coming out next year. Its more like a point and click of the old days then the other AA games.

jonte511

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you very much for the tip on Broken Sword! Just finished playing it. A bit short but an excellent game! =)

Anyone know anything about the sequel? I've read that a sequel is coming but haven't found out when...

Will have a look at the others now
biggrin.gif

Thanks all!

sgwiiboy

Trophies
XP
Country
I really don't understand why Lucasarts, Sierra etc have not ported some of the classic point and click adventures to the DS. I mean, the system is made for it.

Chrono_Tata

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
jonte511 said:
Thank you very much for the tip on Broken Sword! Just finished playing it. A bit short but an excellent game! =)

Anyone know anything about the sequel? I've read that a sequel is coming but haven't found out when...

Will have a look at the others now
biggrin.gif

Thanks all!
You could get the sequels (there are 3) on the PC. Don't think they are gonna come out on the DS anytime soon.

In the second one they changed all the voice actors for everyone apart from the main character though. It was really distracting.
unsure.gif
It's a good game still.

jonte511

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I tried Runaway... Unfortunately it didn't work well on my Supercard. What card did you use?

Have also tried a couple of the other games suggested in the thread. Didn't really like any of them I'm afraid...

As for Syberia I have already played that on PC. Excellent game!
smile.gif

Have not tried ScummVM yet. Don't really understand how that works.... Is it some kind of emulator? Do I emulate the original game?

Thordrian said:
Well:
Broken Sword - Shadow Of The Templars
Runaway (there is a sequel coming out)

They're the only ones worth playing, there are loads others as there seems to be one a week released but they are poorly made. Aside from those you can also try the SCUMMVM program that'll let you play many oldies.

Also not quite the same there is the Phoenix Wright/Ace Attourney series and Hotel Dusk which are in the pointy clicky adventure but they're more detective than anything else.

There is also Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth coming out next year. Its more like a point and click of the old days then the other AA games.

JesseB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The following link has all the info you need.

http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/

This page contains downloads of the latest build, a complete compatibility list, as well as instructions on how to install it onto your flashcard.

As a side note, many of the games that Scumm runs are considered "abandonware" and are legally free to download.

hope this helps.
smile.gif

jonte511

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the info! Will give it a try!
biggrin.gif

JesseB said:
The following link has all the info you need.

http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/

This page contains downloads of the latest build, a complete compatibility list, as well as instructions on how to install it onto your flashcard.

As a side note, many of the games that Scumm runs are considered "abandonware" and are legally free to download.

hope this helps.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Gay history is serious