Homebrew RELEASE pFBA: final burn alpha

solrac21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm waiting for my new sdcard to come in. I have the main FBA arcade roms filtered out and just need the space for the rest. :)

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
reddit apparently confirmed, that >32 GB SDXC sdcards work on the system, if formated to fat32.

@cpasjuste: I saw that you did the ScummVM port for the Vita as well. This is a plea. ;) Peaaaasseee, do the port for the Switch as well. :) It can take five years, I dont care - but I haz to have my point and click adventures on the first portable system that would do them justice (screensize ;) ). No answer or commit necessary, I just had to get that out. :)

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Also - there is odd fan behavior in FBA. This could be related to HBL or libnx - but I've noticed several times now the Switch going into a state, where the fan (?) gives of a "buzz" sound at regular intervals - its almost like its going to spin, or doing one revolution (turn) and then getting halted.

If you reboot, its gone.

If you just go back to the home screen, it persists.

If you want to test this - I could reproduce it with Garou: Mark of the Wolves after a few minutes of playtime.

Please look into that.

Or s/o tell the libnx folks.

edit: Did another run with pFBA and Garou - and couldnt reproduce it.. :/ The issue is intermittent... Yet please keep an eye out for it, I've experienced it more than three times already - and it will be overlooked, once sound gets implemented (Its just a slight *buzz* sound every two seconds or so). Sadly you cant test, if running a Switch game overrides it, because when the HBL is enabled, at least Breath of the Wild crashes, until reboot. And reboot fixes it.

Last edited by notimp,

RichKK

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
reddit apparently confirmed, that >32 GB SDXC sdcards work on the system, if formated to fat32.

@cpasjuste: I saw that you did the ScummVM port for the Vita as well. This is a plea. ;) Peaaaasseee, do the port for the Switch as well. :) It can take five years, I dont care - but I haz to have my point and click adventures on the first portable system that would do them justice (screensize ;) ). No answer or commit necessary, I just had to get that out. :)

I'm using a 128GB SDXC card formatted to FAT 32 in my switch and all is good.

Reactions: notimp

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Reproduced the fan (?) issue again (turning on the switch, enabling HBL, launching pFBA, playing Garou: Mark of the Wolves) - but this time captured it in audio, to give you a better understanding of what I am talking about. Its a faint Buzz that repeats about every 5 seconds.

https://s1.vocaroo.com/media/download_temp/Vocaroo_s1nV2yARyhe2.mp3

(if the direct link stops to work, or you prefer a html5 player: https://vocaroo.com/i/s1nV2yARyhe2 )

If anyone of you has a better understanding of what this might be, or has experienced this themselves, please share.

If you know if this is "a thing" on "unmodded" Switch devices as well, please tell us. :)

edit: If you experience the issue, apparently letting the Switch go into stand by - resolves it as well. You can then resume, and the fan (?) noise will be gone.

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: Masterwin

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
- Roms have to be in a specific folder - read the first posting.
- Roms have to be named specifically - red this thread: https://gbatemp.net/threads/pfba-final-burn-alpha.497188/page-2#post-7847836
- If you are using arcade roms, they should be in an FBA compatible (release) format (/romset).
- Roms can/should be zipped (.zip), but it also matters whats inside of that .zip (if its yourdiary.doc, or yourannualtaxreport.xls - it wont work).
- Some systems (not all of the ones FBA supports) require bios files, that have to be put in the roms folder as well (usually a .zip with a specific name).

When you launch FBA you should set it to filter for "working games only" - as mentioned in my fist post in here. Other than that -

Press A to launch a game.

Last edited by notimp,

glareon81

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm able to boot NeoGeo games fine, but when i try to boot any CPS1 or CPS2 game (tried at least 12), the emulator appears to process the zip normally and then i get a "DRIVER INIT FAILED" error. What could be causing this?

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Most likely wrong romsets. Are the romsets you use validated for the FBA emulator? Also, give examples so other people can test with valid roms (in case it is a build issue).

Read this: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/45506-mame-rom-versions-why/

Also, there is the concept of master and child- roms with arcade releases. So if the main supported game would be an us release f.e. - the japanese release could be released in a form that just contains the files that are different from the main release. In that case the "main rom" is still a prerequisite. You find that out by finding a good resource, or comparing filesizes.

Last edited by notimp,

solrac21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm able to boot NeoGeo games fine, but when i try to boot any CPS1 or CPS2 game (tried at least 12), the emulator appears to process the zip normally and then i get a "DRIVER INIT FAILED" error. What could be causing this?

Just tested a few of my cps1 and cps2 roms and they are working. Sounds like you might not have the correct rom set. If you have a specific rom you need tested let me know.

glareon81

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My CPS2 romset is from *snip*.
I downloaded the full set and placed it all in the folder.
All light up as working in the emulator.
I tried cyberbots, darkstalkers, megaman 2, and at least a dozen others. Same DRIVER INIT FAILED error with all. Is the *snip* set incompatible or am i missing something?

Last edited by porkiewpyne,

solrac21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My CPS2 romset is from *snip*.
I downloaded the full set and placed it all in the folder.
All light up as working in the emulator.
I tried cyberbots, darkstalkers, megaman 2, and at least a dozen others. Same DRIVER INIT FAILED error with all. Is the *snip* set incompatible or am i missing something?
Can't speak about that set as I don't have that one. I tested sfa, super gem fighter, aliens vs predator and Cadillac and dinos. What version of full set do you have?

Last edited by porkiewpyne,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    why
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it's not funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not funny
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So two cannibals where eating a clown and one says to the other. Hey does this taste funny to you?
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you call a slow car? Retired
    +1
    Did you hear about the police car that someone stole the wheels off of? The police are working tirelessly to find the thieves.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What do you call a hooker with a runny nose? Full
    +2
    What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing you already told her twice!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Diddy also works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A scientist heard the word batman so he put a naked lady in a cage with a bat
    Chuck Norris won a staring contest, with the sun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A vampires favorite thing to do is moon you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's the difference between an airplane, and Ken's mom? Not everyone has been in an airplane.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What's the difference between @BigOnYa and his wife? Nothing both want to bone me
    +3
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck norris
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    how do i know? you're a guy, and he wants to bone every guy on this site (maybe, idk)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He wants to bone anything with a dick
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night, big day tomorrow. Congrats.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7iLZ35NrQt/?igsh=MWd2Z3U0dmNlMmNxcw==