Hacking Hardware Picofly - a HWFLY switch modchip

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I honestly think it really was CMD63
I saw you redacted your comment but interestingly the ASIC that sits in between the Tegra and the cartridge also uses that CMD63 command.
The ASIC cart reader uses an encrypted firmware that is provided by the Tegra cpu when the cart reader is initialized.
The ASIC, which contains a Cortex M3 cpu, only has a bootrom and then waits for a firmware to be uploaded.
The ASIC is also waiting for the Tegra to issue a CMD63 command in order to upload the firmware.
In the source code it says : wait for CMD60 or CMD63 command.

Piorjade

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
nop, because Spacecraft is only the last part of the trick, the SX-ish clones have a FPGA code which does great part of the magic and "That" code is the one has getting our hair pulled.
Tbh the hair pulling is mostly the emmc communication

The glitching is kind-of too, at least we basically now know when it approximately triggers

• Love
Reactions: impeeza

NoXe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Glitch is not so complex, its easy to analyze, the most complicated is to communicate with all existing emmc on each switch models (especially samsung emmc is garbage)

• Love

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
speaking of which, this is in the HWFLY-NX source code in glitch.c at line 217:

C:
    const uint16_t erista_offsets[] = {825, 830, 835, 840, 845, 850, 855, 860, 865, 870, 875, 880, 885, 890, 895, 900, 905};
    const uint16_t mariko_offsets[] = {800, 805, 810, 815, 820, 825, 830, 835, 840, 845, 850, 855, 860, 865, 870, 875, 880};
these are the timing offsets for the glitching, that's cool and all but I've got one question:
What time scale is that? Like, is the first mariko offset 800ns or is it 800 * X ns or what?
Considering these are for the FPGA and FPGAs don't really count in time but clock pulses these may be clock pulse counts. Probably offsets from a certain glitch start point.

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This thread consists of 99% children asking "is it done yet" in various ways, so no, barely
Don’t know about that. There’s a few here that have posted interesting tidbits that make me believe they’ll figure it out eventually, they’re just not updating us as quickly as some of us would like or with as much detail as some of us require. Work like this very rarely happens in the open.

• Love

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m not sure it was meant that way… but this reads as if you (or someone else here) are owed something.

Which would be rather unfortunate frame of reference.
It wasn’t. Being honest, I have zero skin in this game. I’ve got two unpatched Switches and zero patched Switches. Just interested in these kinds of things and like to see progress.

Reactions: eseldiem

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
This thread consists of 99% children asking "is it done yet" in various ways, so no, barely

I wish I was still a child.
I don't understand much of the programming speak and after 20 hours awake reading the few pages information wasn't sinking in.

I've also bricked my own personal hardware on purpose to help this scene out soo take that as you will.

Blavla

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have a fresh Lite with soldered Hwfly. I could test some things if that is important. Bought 2 Pi´s too a while ago. I presume the solder points on the motherboard are the same

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a fresh Lite with soldered Hwfly. I could test some things if that is important. Bought 2 Pi´s too a while ago. I presume the solder points on the motherboard are the same
Yes, they are the same. The reference is on page 34. The firmware there doesn’t work btw…yet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    but its a custom os for both of them
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    designed for only specific hardware
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    so you have to learn to emulate that specific hardware which isn't as easy as you'd think
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's a locked down Linux distro basically
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I think the only custom hardware is to do with the SSD and a security chip
    Probably combined in one chip
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They place married security chips onto boards iirc
    Damn Frontier is offering 5Gbps now lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I honestly can't recommend any of the big 3 this years I'd say buy a rog ally z1 if we're being honest
    Honestly after the PS3 and 360 I just went full PC
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Every games basically cross platform they only have about 6 titles making it worth the $600 price tag
    Didn't see much need for a console, all the advantages have kind of disappeared
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    the ps3 used to support installing linux because the cpu was so powerful
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Then the games are $70 and they want to reboot and refresh the same game every year
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The ps3 was always Linux they just found a way to make it open source
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    I'm avoiding buying from the big 3 at all atm
    At one point PC game pads where poorly supported, loading a game had setup, it was complicated. Now it's almost as easy as a console.
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    nintendo needs to up their game soon
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah even bt support for Xbox one controllers are just as easy as pairing
    +1
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    considering the steamdeck can emulate the switch (yikes) theres almost 0 reason to buy the switch apart from playing online and using cartridges
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Xinput and 360 dongles were a driver nightmare
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I remember having to manually put in drivers and what not
    Yeah the 360 dongles sucked
    But the new Xbox pads? PIr it up and if a game supports it it just works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Most emulators even automatically detect them now
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Most emulators even automatically detect them now