Gaming Pokemon... meh

admotonic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Don't get me wrong, the pokemon games aren't bad. But is anyone else sick of the same fomula that is used in every pokemon game. OK they may make the graphics better and add slightly better multi player and new pokemon, but in the end they are basically the same game. But the main thing I am sick of is the popularity of them. Like I said the games aren't bad but how can people continuously rate them one of the best nintendo games since they first came out when they haven't changed much?
What are others thoughts on this?

Lunatics

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally my problems with the pokemon games are all of the excessive new pokemon that are bassically just copies of older pokemon with a different sprite to represent them. If they would just add maybe 10-20 new pokemon per game and a legendary or two and focused more on bran new places and environments I would like it a lot more.

I don't mind the formula as much because at the end of the day they are kids games and kids are mainly the ones playing it and don't notice or mind. I still think they are fun and a great game to play to kill some time if you're on a trip or a plane or just bored. I will say though that the whole Team Rocket/magma/galactic or whatever the hell they are now trying to always take over the world is in fact getting a little old.

R/B/Y are still the best out of any of them though.

DarkWay

tsubasa hiroge
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Don't fix things that aren't broken. Simple as that really.

they have the formula and mechanics down the best thing they can do now is bring it up several notches with a next gen release (not gunna happen).

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I pretty much agree. They're all really good solid games, but i stopped at Red/Blue/Yellow on Gameboy and never got into them again. In terms of not introducing any real revolutionary things, Pokemon is one of the worst IMO. Worst being worst offenders, not worst as in a bad game.

And i don't think anything is going to change either, Nintendo knows it sells like it is and there are virtually no complaints or requests from fans about the series needing to evolve. Black and White MIGHT be interesting though, too early to tell so far. I'm kind of surprised how fans just lap it up and buy 2-3 versions of the same exact game (literally) just to get a couple of new pokemon or whatever.

Not that other game series' aren't stagnant either, but Pokemon represents the epitome of stagnation to me. No series comes close to the amount of repetition that Pokemon does. I'll give them a point of credit though- they're all still fun in their own right.

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It'd be great if the storyline wasn't so forced.
It needs to be a bit more non-linear, if it's gonna be repetitive, at least give us more than one story to follow.

They keep adding new things except a damn different story.

admotonic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
granville said:
I pretty much agree. They're all really good solid games, but i stopped at Red/Blue/Yellow on Gameboy and never got into them again. In terms of not introducing any real revolutionary things, Pokemon is one of the worst IMO. Worst being worst offenders, not worst as in a bad game.

And i don't think anything is going to change either, Nintendo knows it sells like it is and there are virtually no complaints or requests from fans about the series needing to evolve. Black and White MIGHT be interesting though, too early to tell so far. I'm kind of surprised how fans just lap it up and buy 2-3 versions of the same exact game (literally) just to get a couple of new pokemon or whatever.

Not that other game series' aren't stagnant either, but Pokemon represents the epitome of stagnation to me. No series comes close to the amount of repetition that Pokemon does. I'll give them a point of credit though- they're all still fun in their own right.
I agree with you. I do know that they are 'kids' games but I still don't see how they can be this popular for so long. Don't gamers want something new?

Lunatics

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
I'm kind of surprised how fans just lap it up and buy 2-3 versions of the same exact game (literally) just to get a couple of new pokemon or whatever.

I used to do this when I was a kid
frown.gif

Do gamers want something new? Of course, gamers always want something new to change new versions of games up. The thing though is that most gamers and people in general grow out of pokemon pretty young...More kids get to an age where pokemon is interesting to them, it's new and exciting and they play maybe one version and then the one after it, then they grow out of it and aren't kids any more and the next batch of kids come along who see it and get into it etc etc. As someone else said, don't fix what isn't broken. It's working for the kids and for sales, so they will keep doing it. I don't think Nintendo is going to go out of their way to try and change up one of their huge franchises for the few older gamers who still play them occasionally and have played all of the others and know how repetitive it is. If they lose a few sales from those people getting sick of it it's not that big of a deal.

felixsrg

Temp's Ghost
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I don't really get how every pokemon game can be so popular either, it's just like you must do what the game tells you because if you don't you aren't going anywhere else, and it's always the same gims, the same HMs, the same attacks and in the end the same game. That's why so many people actually like the TCG and Ranger ones, they were something different. Of course as OP says the games aren't bad, they're just so linear and repetitive.

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
the trailers for black/white seem to suggest a slightly different storyline this time around, if nothing else. unless i'm much mistaken, there's this alternate dimension thingy ala Twilight Princess where everything is black and white. so far, the sprites, animation, and basic battle mechanics seem to be the same as ever, but then again, changing everything at once seems to be rather foolish, as well as forced.

i for one think that pokemon works if you look at it as it is being sold: a creature-collecting/battling game for the slightly younger set. i think it'd be suicide not to switch it up sooner or later, though. but i have a lot of faith in the big N, they wouldn't mess up a franchise that literally sold their original gameboys when nothing else was selling.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Think they need to reboot the series to be honest. Next game should just go back to 150 pokemon, which would also make it realistic to give them models rather than sliding sprites, and send the story in a different direction. Might upset the OCDers on Serebii, but it would refresh the series.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm giving the franchise one final chance to regain its former glory with Black+White. If they fail to impress me, then I reckon I'll just give up 'cause having been with Pokemon since the beginning, I'm getting real tired of the same generic formula being dragged around like a fucking security blanket. Here's a short list of reasons why the series pisses me off:

- Same old battle system, every generation. For the love of Gaia change something substancial instead of just going for triple battles out of sheer lack of originality.
- Any chance of a story that isn't 'team whatever wants pokemon X, if you could attend to that in between gyms thatd be grand'.
- While I can appreciate that their sheer numbers increase the game's length, there are now so many pokemon that they're starting to lack character.
- Why was the Colloseum route never fully explored? A fully 3D pokemon RPG on the Wii would give the Wii a console selling title again. Simple and obvious, but nowhere to be seen.
- Why no Pokemon MMORPG? Think about how much that'd kick ass. Battling with real trainers anywhere in the world, rare pokemon actually being rare, setting up your own gym, how much would that totally pay for Nintendo's latest effort to buy the Bahamas for 'somewhere to go at the weekend'.
- How about a protagonist that can speak? Just a thought. You know, character development, emotional depth, reason to exist, all seem to be rather lacking in the generic choices.
- Don't think for one second that having a good 'metagame' or whetever you call it makes up for a lacklustre main game, that excuse don't fly around here.

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
thats my reply...
everything they do is $$$$$$
they will keep doing it because of $$$$$$$$
regardless is the same ol thing with different package + a little addon here and there
thats how it will be
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

can someone show the topic starter the nintendo $$$$$ picture

Blaze163

Trophies
XP
Country
elixirdream said:
thats my reply...
regardless is the same ol thing with different package + a little addon here and there
thats how it will be

ds-it-prints-money.gif

That one?

deka01

Trophies
XP
Country
as i recall before ff11 all final fantasy's were turn based and well look how that turned out (haven't played ff13) but i found ff12 to be crap and ff11(on pc) unplayable on pc so is change realy all that good? If you want something different go and play it don't mess with what works.

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
Blaze163 said:
elixirdream said:
thats my reply...
thats how it will be

ds-it-prints-money.gif

That one?

Thanks Sir!! this is the one!!

Blaze163

Trophies
XP
Country
deka01 said:
as i recall before ff11 all final fantasy's were turn based and well look how that turned out (haven't played ff13) but i found ff12 to be crap and ff11(on pc) unplayable on pc so is change realy all that good? If you want something different go and play it don't mess with what works.

Yeah, but there's sticking with what works and just allowing it to stagnate. Final Fantasy generally mixes things up at least a little, different magic systems and the like, such as the Junction system in FF8, materia in FF7, etc. Pokemon adds damn near nothing to the formula, the battle system has been pretty much identical since Gold+Silver when they added Steel and Dark types. After that it's just minor tweaks, nothing truly noticable unless you boil your games down to mathematics instead of just playing them for fun, and as such notice that the way stats work has changed, you know all about effort values and all that invisible crap. For those of us who play the games for the sake of escapism and sheer entertainment, nothing has changed. Well, the sprites move when the battle starts now, but that still doesn't excuse the following glaring faults in the system:

1) The same sound effects after all this time? Seriously? You'd think the pokemon would at least say their names now instead of sounding like a really crap ringtone.
2) They don't really move and hits don't look like they actually connect, unlike FF8 for example. They just grunt and shuffle about a bit. It's getting old.
3) Again I remind you that metagame does not cover the lack of originality in the area of the game the target audience enjoys. Since Pokemon is still aimed primarily at the younger players who as a general rule evade maths wherever possible and don't care about invisible stats, who play games for fun, they are the target audience and as such the game is not catering to them. I'm not saying the games aren't fun, but I for one don't consider worrying about effort values and other invisible bollocks to be in any way fun, it's a chore.

westarrr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
There isnt any difference with the pokemon games except the pokemons themselves, and those LITTLE extras that u hardly recognize...

Ive got this problem that teh game bores me when i hit 7th gym, because then you need to grind too much, and pokemon grinding sux... oh yeah, and also ive got the feeling it gets really rushy at that time... big level difference between areas, story fucks up and stuff

Puregamer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Its true, its really repetitive. It's the same thing every game with enhanced graphics. But still, ninty really tries to make the games better. There might be a few new additions to the games now and then but no one really cares about them. Seriously, who uses the dam Union Room.

Blaze163

Trophies
XP
Country
Don't even know what the Union Room is. So it can't have been that great. The Pokethalon was a worthy addition I guess but that's a minigame, it doesn't help the main faults at all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: :wub: