• Cryptocurrency Warning:
    The risks of trading cryptocurrencies are mainly related to its volatility. They are high-risk and speculative and it is important that you understand the risks before you start trading. They are volatile: unexpected changes in market sentiment can lead to sharp and sudden moves in price.
    Please be aware that any information provided here can be the opinion of the author. Trade at your own risk.

POLL: Do you invest in stocks?

Stocks or no stocks

• Stocks

Votes: 19 51.4%
  • No stocks

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • In the future, maybe

Votes: 13 35.1%

• Total voters

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
My wife does but I am still learning how to do all of this stuff. I was never interested before, but she's interested and that's good enough reason for me to try

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought some Corsair when they started going public and sitting on it since I know their stuff will only go up in the future. Have some other lesser named tech stocks for up and coming companies that seem to be promising at best.

Oh, and I have Apple as well. Might be looking at Google soon if they do their stock split on the market.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I do have some investments :) I am a beginner, though, and I try to diversify my portfolio. Perhaps a thread with suggestions would benefit all of us :)
While I am likely speaking to a spammer (one does not tend to bump a year old thread as a first post)

Legally that gets tricky, even with the "not investment advice" disclaimer.

Practically it is even more tricky -- as a general rule investment firms rarely beat the index, and those that do rarely manage it for more than a few years on the trot. Chances of randoms on a forum being able to do it then being seen as even less than that.

Or if you prefer.
Peleton. The exercise bike company. They slapped a tablet on an exercise bike, sold a subscription video service with it and somehow got valued like a tech company, this despite there being a million exercise bikes stuffed in the back of sheds all over the developed world and getting sold on like the proverbial village bicycle whenever there is a yard sale/jumble sale/car boot sale/... with nothing to stop another company/youtube channel from taking their business. For some they were on these pandemic stocks that rose massively on the back of "stay in your home citizen".
Their price tanked the other day; was it because they have masses of unsold stock and no real prospects for growth? While it is true that they are not selling anything then no. Did them being valued like a tech company that can sell a billion copies about as easily as a million with most of that being pure profit despite being a widget maker catch up to them? Sadly not the markets are still rather irrational in that regard. Did a character (said character being an unhealthy type) on a TV show die and just so happen to be on one in that scene? Yes, tanked as a result with the medic for the company even having to make a statement to that effect. Since then rumours (not actual hard date, rumours) of a buyout saw it creep back up.
There are a million other companies all over the world, all interrelated to each other in various ways or representing market segments that are related with 1000 potential news events a minute to change their valuations dramatically.

Can a hacker style approach to data and tech help? Yes actually, though in reality many have already gone there (Wall street being one of the bigger employers of high end computer science students) so you face an uphill struggle. Though also as noted above then investment firms with billions to spend often fail to beat index funds (buy one of every stock on an exchange, congratulations you are done) so chances of you doing anything are less likely still.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Want to. But everytime I gather enough money, something happens and gets emergency used.

:mellow:

Edit: Which is funny because as long as I don't save, nothing happens. But as soooooon as I have some, puff! gone!.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Do investment funds count?

I don't have enough spare cash lying around for a long term investment into stable stock on my own, and investing in volatile stock is basically gambling, pure luck, and don't believe anyone who tells you otherwise. And day trading is dominated by bots.

LoggerMan

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't have spare money to invest. But if I did I probably would. I don't think I'd be comfortable buying houses as investments because then I'd really want the value of the houses to go up, which makes housing more unaffordable for everyone and especially hurts renters. In my country everyone aspires to own multiple "investment properties". But mathematically there aren't enough houses and apartments in existence for everyone to own more than one. If some people own more than one then others will have to own zero.

Gore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, it's a bit of an obsession. I'm not at a loss fortunately, but my gains have been minimal.

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the average person can probably gain money in stocks but I'm detracted from doing it by all the "GME TO THE MoOoOoON DIAMOND HANDS" people
Eh, those are mainly all r/wallstreetbets people. They do not make up a majority of stock traders but a loud number due to recent chaos. Its more entertaining than anything else, but I would not take a glance at the entire stock market from that perspective.

Its all about how you want to play your hand in the market and how hard you want to play it. Are you someone who just wants to buy a few shares in some companies and sit on them for awhile to make profit? Do you actively want to trade on a constant and keep your eyes glued to stock tickers every second? Do you want to put up a second mortgage to throw $10k into something and risk play it all? There are all kinds of different people playing this market. Just pick the one you see yourself being and be happy with it.

I tend to see myself as a long term investor. Buy when low, sit on it until profit gain reaches a point of satisfactory for myself and sell if I desire to. My biggest investments come from stock splits that go cheap before they start climbing back up again. Thats a long game mentality and not many people like this method compared to hit it and quit it stocks but I have too many things going on in my life to watch stock tickers every moment of my free time.

If you want a good starting point tech stocks are always volatile. I would say look at alternative energy automotive stocks. Not electric car company stocks per se, but charger companies.

Reactions: DarknessPlay3r

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...