Homebrew [Preview] Z26 3DS - Atari 2600 Emulator

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Very nice that you are working on this! :)

I'm working on Handy too. The first version of z26, using sf2dlib, had the freezing problems like the other emulators, now that I write directly on Framebuffers it hasn't.

So now I'm studing pica coding to use a simpler shaders without extern libs, like blargsnes is doing. But I need time working on all this projects.

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
I'm working on Handy too. The first version of z26, using sf2dlib, had the freezing problems like the other emulators, now that I write directly on Framebuffers it hasn't.

So now I'm studing pica coding to use a simpler shaders without extern libs, like blargsnes is doing. But I need time working on all this projects.
Nice! But is it possible to "re-use" insights you get from this work to Handy, or vice versa?

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Changed the screen from RGBA8 to RGB5A1 and gained 3-4 FPS (it was 15 FPS and now is 18-19 FPS).

very far away from 60FPS, but I'll add some frameskip tomorrow. Then I'll set the FPS limiter for n3ds and add sound.

I read about Stella DS and it can't run fullspeed on DS (also with frameskip), don't know if it can give better results on 3ds having to handle sound on same processor.

Zephiroph

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sound on breadbox is something we need more.

Bar a few games like Yars and pitfall II, 2600 sound is migraine inducing stuff.

Zephiroph

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I know...it's a bit harder to emulate than you'd think...being so archaic.

I actually had one when I was a kid, that's how old I am. :)

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Wait, the emu isn't full-speed? I mean, it's Atari...

It's not Atari!!! It's C code designed to emulate Atari on a Pentium machine, not to say that it's developer is a maniac of perfectionism.

I'm commenting out a big amount of code that emulate at perfection the the cathodic ray of the TV screen, and I feel like a barbarian who's cutting a Van Gogh painting to adapt it to a cheap frame.

Don't know which speed I reached on o3ds, I'm testing it on Citra. Can't wait to check FPS on o3DS tonight. I hope to not having broken emulation compatibility.

AtlasFontaine

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
It's not Atari!!! It's C code designed to emulate Atari on a Pentium machine, not to say that it's developer is a maniac of perfectionism.

I'm commenting out a big amount of code that emulate at perfection the the cathodic ray of the TV screen, and I feel like a barbarian who's cutting a Van Gogh painting to adapt it to a cheap frame.

Don't know which speed I reached on o3ds, I'm testing it on Citra. Can't wait to check FPS on o3DS tonight. I hope to not having broken emulation compatibility.
I kek'd but you're right

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Bad news, I reached only 22 FPS losing some graphic output and now some games don't work.

I give up. I'll rollback the latest tweaks and I'll finish the emulator for n3ds. On o3ds it will run at only about 20 FPS.

Now I need to study the shader assembler to try to fix Handy 3ds and Pokemini, so you'll have to wait some weeks for an update of these programs.

Last edited by nop90,

Da_GPer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bad news, I reached only 22 FPS losing some graphic output and now some games don't work.

I give up. I'll rollback the latest tweaks and I'll finish the emulator for n3ds. On o3ds it will run at only about 20 FPS.

Now I need to study the shader assembler to try to fix Handy 3ds and Pokemini, so you'll have to wait some weeks for an update of these programs.

NOOOOO!!!!! This is very bad news! Us o3DS users shouldnt be left out again! Please dont be like the others and be N3DS only. Think of us too! :(:cry:

AtlasFontaine

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
NOOOOO!!!!! This is very bad news! Us o3DS users shouldnt be left out again! Please dont be like the others and be N3DS only. Think of us too! :(:cry:
The scene is in a stuck point where the only way to make good things on O3DS is with <9.2 (only with kernel).
This guy made his effort but in the end limitations are limitations.
You should keep closed your 3ds for a few months (if not a year) and see what happens in the future (That's what I'm going to do of course, if the devs doesn't move on to another console.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I plan on going back to ultimate with all the new shit coming that'll just be free on ultimate
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut? PS ain't tickling your balls no more?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No I can just afford both ;O
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I hear ya. You got a dope handheld coming soon, that should at least tingle those dingles.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably look like ass with Gamepass on it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Crazy, I remember posing for that one, towelie was messed up in that shoot.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Must have edited him in post, he looks fine there.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's true, both our eyes are straight white, and we know better
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You're a towel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    No, you're a towel
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No you're a towel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    No you're a......wut. Wanna get hjgh?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Crazy people actually spend $50 on that stuff
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Towelie runs my farm, he's awesome.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Polly is still around from what I've heard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @SylverReZ, is Pollys alt I knew it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I see him every once whi!e , incognito
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, I'm not him. Keep looking.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still don't know why he left unless someone really hurt his feelings
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know why people get so emotional online just get over it ffs
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He was the ass of gbatemp, everyone knocked on him, I honestly felt bad, even though I was guilty myself, but he egged it all on himself,
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    But he still here, but under dif name, he pm me sometimes still even.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's like they think we'll be in their bed pissing on it the next day
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's like they think we'll be in their bed pissing on it the next day