PS1/2 PS2 Makes Whirling Sound with Swap Magic?

x_comp

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just got one today and all games boot fine with it. The only problem I noticed was that whenever I use DVD-Rs with it, I can hear the disc whirling away constantly. I don't get this sound if I use proper retail games.

So is this normal? Or should I go for a certain brand of DVD-R? The PS2 model I'm using is a SCPH-50003, which is the non-slim version of the PS2.

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The PS2 reads burnt discs louder, that's pretty much fact. It shouldn't harm the system as long as you don't play them for so many hours in a row. One thing I noticed when playing it is that the longer you play a burnt game, the longer and longer the loading times get.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You, shouldn't use those, it kills the PS2's laser reading those discs.

The DVD version is pressed just like a PS2 DVD, it's not going to screw up the laser.

A good question is what speed are you burning the DVDs at? I've found that the slower the burn the better the results in both noise, speed, and playability.

x_comp

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You, shouldn't use those, it kills the PS2's laser reading those discs.

Well, not much choice for anyone playing backups. I mean, chipping the PS2 won't make a difference would it? = /

The PS2 reads burnt discs louder, that's pretty much fact. It shouldn't harm the system as long as you don't play them for so many hours in a row. One thing I noticed when playing it is that the longer you play a burnt game, the longer and longer the loading times get.

Hmmm, I'll keep that in mind.

QUOTE(Jiggah @ Aug 17 2007, 09:47 PM)A good question is what speed are you burning the DVDs at? I've found that the slower the burn the better the results in both noise, speed, and playability.
At 4x but I'll try 1x next time and see if it's any different.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: any mushroom trip adventures you can share