Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
review.gif
Ranger NDS GPS System Review
By Another World

Another World's review of the Ranger NDS GPS System is finally done. Will it pass or will it fail? Well I don't want to spoil it for you so go ahead and see for yourselves which one's the right answer.

icon11.gif
 Read the Review
discuss.png
 Discuss

Minox

Thanks for the fish
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
And in case someone asks. I did not write this review, Another World did. I merely formatted his text, fixed the images & posted his review.

dudereno

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PharaohsVizier said:
I never got mine working.... -.-

Likewise... I got the software running but could never get a decent sync with any GPS satellites. The curious thing was, I also tested the hardware via mini usb with a PC and it worked fine using a windows application. Its a real shame. I don't know what code dev kit was used to create the Caelitis application but I found it extremely fussy in regards to MIcroSD compatibility and very unstable regardless of what flash cart was used. I feel for Team Gbalpha as it seems their excellent hardware has been let down by the software.

I didn't have the motivation to write a review after wrestling with the software for 2 days..

Kudos to Another World for highlighting the many issues of Caelitis in his article.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
I got mine running, but showing my loacation by 500m and more wrong from where i am, is a not good.
It works, but it is alot of work to do, just to navigate, i better buy a cheap tomtom and update it with latest maps with iq routes and lane guidance. Faster, cheaper and more trusty.

I have a almost completed review, but like above, my motivation whent down after the bad software support and the stuff you need to do to get maps on it before you can use it, the wrong pinpointing of your loacation and other little things.

Nice review Another World, i know mine will not be as good and won't be online till somewhere next year (if ever)

D

Deleted_171835

shakirmoledina said:
i cant use it... we dont even have a GPS tower here cuz places are not too far and there is usually a single road
Huh. GPS Tower. I though GPS enabled devices connected with the sattellites immediately. Not through a tower. Or is that only with phones.

Care to educate me?

Minox

Thanks for the fish
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Revolutionize said:
shakirmoledina said:
i cant use it... we dont even have a GPS tower here cuz places are not too far and there is usually a single road
Huh. GPS Tower. I though GPS enabled devices connected with the sattellites immediately. Not through a tower. Or is that only with phones.

Care to educate me?
It's connected to global GPS satellites.

Jdbye

Always Remember 30/07/08
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
This has to be the most negative review on GBAtemp
tongue.gif

It sounded like it wasn't even worth the time it took to review it.
Well, I'd never want anything that bulky in my DS, but if the software doesn't even work properly, it's just useless.

That u-Blox support sounds like the best part of the device, but from the review it looks like that's the only thing that works. Being advertised as a GPS for DS, it's not much point if it only works properly on a PC
tongue.gif

But, let's look at the bright side: There's nothing wrong on the hardware side. This may be an opportunity for homebrewers
smile.gif

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Jdbye said:
But, let's look at the bright side: There's nothing wrong on the hardware side. This may be an opportunity for homebrewers
smile.gif

the whole idea was to have a working software for it and then to release the source so homebrew devs could add-on, update it, find new and exciting things to do with the hardware, etc. before posting the review i tried to contact the company with no response. i checked the development forum, which is not littered with adult related russian spam, i also tried to contact the 1 (yes single) dev behind the software but again got no response.

so the way i see is that this device is dead. i'd be thrilled if they released a working software and/or the source but its been so long since they posted on their development forum i'm just assuming that they may have given up on it.

i finally got the plug back on to the wire so i'm trying to use the device again. i might just give it to my buddy and let him do u-blox on his laptop.

-another world

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon: anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator is bad in my book, i...