OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
icon.png

Flappy Bird GX2

Introduction

I wanted to use GX2 for some homebrew and found that Flappy Bird was funny and easy enough (thanks for inspiration Android System Settings :D)

That's actually my first C++ programs so expect bugs and bad code

I used Floppy Bird assests sometimes scaled or edited

Downloads

You can download it from The Homebrew AppStore (Thanks @vgmoose and @pwsincd :))
or from the Github Releases

Changelog

1.0: First public release

Features to implement

-Save scores to SD
-Proper Game Over screen with scores and Medals
-Less hacky and more Object Oriented?
-Some sort of difficult increasing?

Source Code

Github

Credits

@dimok - WiiU libraries, dynamic_libs, examples, Homebrew Launcher
@Maschell - GX2_Example and coding help
@vgmoose - Coding help
@pwsincd - Icon
@QuarkTheAwesome, @Dylon99 - Various help and testing

Last edited by rw-r-r_0644,
D

Deleted User

Brienj is uncultivated ( ͡ ° ͜ʖ ͡° )
Yes, of course you can't grow vegetables on @brienj. (dictionary jokes)
I played the original game once, scored something around ten and just gave up trying to beat it. How well will I do this time? Currently sitting at 17 - can I make it to 20?

Last edited by ,
Reactions: Deleted User
Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
My only experience with Flappy Bird was one of the spin-offs that came after the takedown - Floppy Bird (and yes, the bird was an actual floppy disk).
The issue was that my only smart device at the time was a HTC Wildfire (not the S model!) I have Pentium 3s in my parts box with higher clockspeeds than that phone. The result was that the game ran at 30%-40% of its original speed, which gave me a bit of an unfair advantage.
No idea how well I'll do here.

(P.S. You should set up leaderboards - just use cURL to send off people's highscores. No idea how you'd make it unabusable (esp. with a FOSS app))

rw-r-r_0644

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
My only experience with Flappy Bird was one of the spin-offs that came after the takedown - Floppy Bird (and yes, the bird was an actual floppy disk).
The issue was that my only smart device at the time was a HTC Wildfire (not the S model!) I have Pentium 3s in my parts box with higher clockspeeds than that phone. The result was that the game ran at 30%-40% of its original speed, which gave me a bit of an unfair advantage.
No idea how well I'll do here.

(P.S. You should set up leaderboards - just use cURL to send off people's highscores. No idea how you'd make it unabusable (esp. with a FOSS app))
I neer played the original game too :P
I found it when some days ago at school they constricted us to do some sort of hour of code (haha, 1 minute to complete all the exersices) and I though it could be ported to Wii U just fine.
So then I searched flappy bird and found floppy brid html5 (I taken resources from there) but there I scored only 9 after too much tries.
When I made Flappy Bird I scaled assests to 1,5x but not the gravity and jump so it's much easier ;)
For leader board I could crypt the connectionnand score file, etc. (But it just wouldn't work with the source code public) or...just ignore cheaters

D

Deleted User

I neer played the original game too :P
I found it when some days ago at school they constricted us to do some sort of hour of code (haha, 1 minute to complete all the exersices) and I though it could be ported to Wii U just fine.
So then I searched flappy bird and found floppy brid html5 (I taken resources from there) but there I scored only 9 after too much tries.
When I made Flappy Bird I scaled assests to 1,5x but not the gravity and jump so it's much easier ;)
For leader board I could crypt the connectionnand score file, etc. (But it just wouldn't work with the source code public) or...just ignore cheaters
I have do hour of code at school too
Too much easy 4 me :D

Reactions: rw-r-r_0644
Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia

I was thinking about highscores, and a possible course of action is to have some crazy encryption system (crazy enough to be hard to reverse-engineer) and build the app to work just fine without it (clever #defines) and simply only include the system in the official elf files and not in the git repo. Thus, the app is still open-source (ish) but the highscore encryption system/key isn't. It'd also be possible to use UDynLoad and have the highscore system as an optional and completely seperate file (or even project) that isn't open source.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    hunter x hunter
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    he has not allowed anyone to continue it for him for example
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, theres a dragon ball af mod for budokai 3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    updated ship of harkinian, gonna install some hd texture pack
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I might download rayman revolution for my ps3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I may try the new ram site, and download more RAM to my Switch. Not sure if ddr3 is the right ram
    for it tho. Edit- no it uses floppy Ram, just like @AncientBoi
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    aeiou
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And sometimes Z
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, MAGA supporters be wearing tin foil hats lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, whats maga?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It stands for Maniacs Against General Acceptance
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, people rejecting general consensus about stuff?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, nuh its really just Trump followers
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, im not american so i dont care about trump
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or us elections
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me niether, us north Koreans don't care
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i don't care either, even if i'm american
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    truth be told, i agree with psi, i dislike both candidates, but i'd probably vote trump simply because the economy was better during his presidency
  • AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon:
    Just be careful, if trump ends up winning and using project 2025 America might really change...for the worse.
    I'm not american and even that sends shivers down my spine.
    anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator
    is bad in my book, i could care less if it wasn't for that...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Canada: America's Russia
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious
    NinStar @ NinStar: people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious