Homebrew [Release] Linux for the 3DS

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't know that. What do people mean when they say that emulators could run better if they had kernel access?
They have access to dynamic compilation which requires kernel (not sure why though) I think ARM11 kernel is enough for dynarec (dynamic recompilation )

crumpetz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
it would allow for dynamic recompilation, which is like translating the game's code to something native for the OS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_recompilation

They have access to dynamic compilation which requires kernel (not sure why though) I think ARM11 kernel is enough for dynarec (dynamic recompilation )
Cool stuff. does this mean its possible to use the pokemon typing game bluetooth keyboard, provided someone wrote a driver for it?

jsa

Trophies
Website
muffinti.me
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This looks and sounds amazing - I'm on a 10.3 N3DS (Ninjhax/Themehax/IronHax) at the moment though so doesn't look like I can run it /yet/ (until downgrading is possible and is safe)

Reactions: EpicLPer

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wrong thread

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

This looks and sounds amazing - I'm on a 10.3 N3DS (Ninjhax/Themehax/IronHax) at the moment though so doesn't look like I can run it /yet/ (until downgrading is possible and is safe)
sorry I confused this with another thread. no, you can't yet.

Last edited by ihaveahax,

YamiHoshi.nl

I'm MKGirlism.
Trophies
Website
www.dshack.org
XP
Country
Now imagine how Awesome would look like on a 3DS...

awesome3ds.png

loco365

Trophies
XP
Seeing this is really nice, it'd be interesting to essentially have a mini laptop running Linux. I'm hoping that the screen rotation can be addressed, as it's weird having the virtual keyboard in one layout and the screen in another. As well, is it possible to map the mouse to the slider pad and leave the keyboard to the D-Pad?

Edit: In addition, issuing the shutdown command in the terminal stops Linux, however it seems your loader doesn't handle it gracefully and just crashes when Linux stops.

Last edited by loco365,
Reactions: SLiV3R

Dragonlord

Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Trophies
Website
www.indiedb.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
Getting support for 9.9+ firmware would be king. To OP what exactly is holding you back there? No toolkit able to run on 9.9+ or specific problems with Brahma2?

What goes for screen rotation the linux kernel can do it for log messages. With wayland I don't know but X certainly can.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To OP what exactly is holding you back there? No toolkit able to run on 9.9+ or specific problems with Brahma2?
there's currently no public and implemented ARM11 kernel exploit above 9.2. memchunkhax2 works on 9.3+ but hasn't been successfully implemented in anything yet.

also for the screen rotation, the reason that happens is because the top screen is technically rotated 90 degrees (if you rotate your system clockwise then that's the original form). "Weston" doesn't seem to rotate the display by default though.

LarBob

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Getting support for 9.9+ firmware would be king. To OP what exactly is holding you back there? No toolkit able to run on 9.9+ or specific problems with Brahma2?

What goes for screen rotation the linux kernel can do it for log messages. With wayland I don't know but X certainly can.
He uses Brahma2 to exploit the ARM9 processor, which is required. You can't utilize the ARM9 processor above FW 9.2 with Brahma2.

EpicLPer

Your friendly Austrian IT Guy
Trophies
Website
epiclper.com
XP
Country
Austria
For some reason once launching it it'll just return me to the Homebrew Launcher again... The error messages are far too fast but I'll try to grab them now ;)

Okay so here are the last messages I get before it'll go to a red screen and then returns me to the HBL (sorry for the kinda crappy quality)
pQaK6c2.jpg

Oh... Well I'm on 10.1... I guess I know why it won't work then ;P

Xanthe

Costco Executive Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very nicely designed! I like how it works, however I don't have much use for it haha
One thing that'd be VERY nice once the menuhax comes out that edits the kernel, is that the linux distro on the 3DS could actually access the files within the 3DS. THAT would be cool

xerpi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've managed to get Linux booting by using the Memchunkhax2 exploit, check the first page to get the download link. It's really unstable at the moment (maybe you will need to try 5 times to get it working).
I haven't tried on a FW bigger than 9.3 so it would be nice if you can tell me if it works :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    the author has the final aproval
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    hunter x hunter
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    he has not allowed anyone to continue it for him for example
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, theres a dragon ball af mod for budokai 3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    updated ship of harkinian, gonna install some hd texture pack
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I might download rayman revolution for my ps3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I may try the new ram site, and download more RAM to my Switch. Not sure if ddr3 is the right ram
    for it tho. Edit- no it uses floppy Ram, just like @AncientBoi
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    aeiou
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And sometimes Z
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, MAGA supporters be wearing tin foil hats lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, whats maga?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It stands for Maniacs Against General Acceptance
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, people rejecting general consensus about stuff?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, nuh its really just Trump followers
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, im not american so i dont care about trump
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or us elections
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me niether, us north Koreans don't care
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i don't care either, even if i'm american
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    truth be told, i agree with psi, i dislike both candidates, but i'd probably vote trump simply because the economy was better during his presidency
  • AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon:
    Just be careful, if trump ends up winning and using project 2025 America might really change...for the worse.
    I'm not american and even that sends shivers down my spine.
    anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator
    is bad in my book, i could care less if it wasn't for that...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Canada: America's Russia
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Canada: America's Russia