[Release] SimpleModDownloader, a mod downloader for your switch

logo

HI community,

I've recently delved into the vast world of Switch modding and found it tiresome always having to rely on a computer to install mods. I found the idea of SimpleModManager interesting, but it lacked a downloading feature. That's why I created the homebrew SimpleModDownloader. The installation part is done through SimpleModManager, so there's a button to switch from the downloader to the manager.

SimpleModDownloader is based on the extensive gamebanana database.

Downloads:
Releases: https://github.com/PoloNX/SimpleModDownloader/releases/
Source: https://github.com/PoloNX/SimpleModDownloader

How to use it:
  • Place the .nro file on your SD card in the "/switch/" folder.
  • Launch the homebrew from the homebrew launcher.

EDIT : Hello community! I'm very pleased to announce that I've finally finished rewriting SimpleModDownloader from scratch. The app now utilizes a new version of Borealis for the UI, which has allowed me greater flexibility in the UI design. Here's the changelog, which is quite extensive, and I may have surely missed some things
  • Rewrote the app from scratch using Borealis.
  • Transitioned to a new build tool: CMake.
  • Fixed #46 and #39.
  • Added a new page to preview the mod.
  • Implemented detection to check if a mod is compatible with SimpleModDownloader (in reality, I check if there's a romfs folder in the archive, as permitted by the GameBanana API).
  • Added a fix to prevent a crash that occurred when the mod contained special characters.
  • Reduced loading times and implemented multi-threading for improved performance.
Here is some screenshots/video

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

If you want to translate the app into other languages, feel free to do so! You will be credited in the homebrew.

I would like to thank all of you for being able to help me improve the application day by day by reporting bugs and feature requests :)

Last edited by PoloNX,

Soler37

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
I fixed the issue, I noticed that the files were being created in contents, making a contents folder in contents instead of the game folder, what I did was go into the config file and change the install to /atmosphere instead of /atmosphere/contents

seanyoshida

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Can't open Brilliant Diamond, will freeze switch
Post automatically merged:

Persona 5 Royal mods finish downloading but nowhere to be found

Fairy Tail Switch will crash the switch

Last edited by seanyoshida,

Shayuna

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

didn u watching if the mods u are downloading are works with ur game version?

PoloNX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
France

I tried to reproduce but I don't have a crash. The game name is this ?
Code:
Pokémon Brillant Diamond

josepie2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, please help. I downloaded a mod but didn't read too well and looks like it does not match the version of the game that I have. My game only lasts like ten minutes before crashing the whole system. I can't find the downloaded mod anywhere to try and delete it. Where are they located? I cant find them please help.

Edit: i got it working.

Last edited by josepie2,

a_username_that_is_cool

Well-Hated Member (Also)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, please help. I downloaded a mod but didn't read too well and looks like it does not match the version of the game that I have. My game only lasts like ten minutes before crashing the whole system. I can't find the downloaded mod anywhere to try and delete it. Where are they located? I cant find them please help.
SimpleModManager

invisiblek1d

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
When you download a mod and proceed with the installation, nothing appears, as if you hadn’t downloaded anything. It was working fine at first, but not anymore.

Any ideas? probably path issues (i think)

edit:

Deleting the mods folder from the root makes it work again, but on the second attempt, the same issue happens again.

Last edited by invisiblek1d,

PoloNX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
France

invisiblek1d

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
It's a weird issue. Can you try this build ?
update:

I’ve tried all versions, I’m no longer sure if it’s a root problem.

As an example, I tried Mario Party Superstars: I downloaded the Banjo over Mario mod, which is the first on the list, and it does appear to install.

Then, I download another one, like Bowser Jr. over Birdo, which weighs 200 MB compared to Banjo’s 20 MB. It doesn’t appear; could the size have something to do with it? I’ll keep investigating.

invisiblek1d

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
update:

I’ve tried all versions, I’m no longer sure if it’s a root problem.

As an example, I tried Mario Party Superstars: I downloaded the Banjo over Mario mod, which is the first on the list, and it does appear to install.

Then, I download another one, like Bowser Jr. over Birdo, which weighs 200 MB compared to Banjo’s 20 MB. It doesn’t appear; could the size have something to do with it? I’ll keep investigating.
another update:

it seems that the larger mods (approximately 150 MB) are being downloaded, but I’ve noticed that they’re not getting extracted. Perhaps that’s the issue. The smaller mods, like 50 MB ones, show the window to extract the file, but the larger ones don’t.

I will keep you informed.

SonicSSBU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is an awesome program. Thanks for making it. My son has a Switch and he wanted to mod SSBU to get some advanced Sonic characters, but alas, his Switch is too new to be modded. So I am now trying to do it on Yuzu or Ryujinx on a Linux OS. Been trying for weeks to get mods to work for SSBU on Yuzu or Ryujinx, but no luck. I tried SimpleModManager, but it appears the file structure for the emulators might be different from that of the Switch. The mods aren't working. Any advice?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon: anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator is bad in my book, i...