Hacking Remake of Super Mario Bros (SMB Team)

erolz

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
level 1-2 black screens on me too
frown.gif

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
erolz said:
level 1-2 black screens on me too
frown.gif

Are you using Riivolution or are you scrubbing in the levels?

If you are scrubbing in the levels, make sure you scrub in the text tileset that comes with reggie, its in the reggieextras folder.
Once you have done that the level will work just fine.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cmon deadlyfoez, embrace the creativity. you did get a little harsh after your 2nd or 3rd post. i know you like to defend your opinion.

this is what it is, take it or leave it. i like the idea, but the levels are REALLY short (its surprising to see how small they really are in smb) and star coins would be cool. once this is done, maybe someone will mod this and put star coins in. its not meant to be an exact replica of smb, but the exact levels in nsmbw.

nikeymikey

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The levels do seems short, but that's cos by today's standards they are. I know people are entitled to their opinion and all feedback we get on this project is helpful, but why do you (dealdyfoez) have to be an arse about it, I don't know. It is possible to give negative or critical feedback without being an arse. But as I said before these are NOT FINAL levels, and we will add things as needed before final release.
Who knows we may even release 2 versions , 1 as close to original as possible and 1 containing new stuff (hidden areas ,star coins etc).

I will put this idea to the team and we'll see what happens!

NeoRame

Trophies
Website
www.neorame.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
QUOTE said:
I am trying to embrace creativity here. Remaking old levels isn't really creative...but adding secrets and hidden things does make it creative. I actually had a hard time sleeping last night because my mind would not stop racing (thats usual for me), and I was thinking about other ideas of how to to hide other areas in the levels and make things really secret that the people who love and know the retro SMB wouldn't see at first until they had to go and "rediscover" the levels.

It's funny because when I go and play the original SMB on an NES emulator, it still feels a little challenging, but playing the remake level with the new mario and the cool things he can do makes the retro levels too easy and they feel short. Thats what triggered me to think about hidden parts where people can find start coins and such.

hey its a nice idea. i vote for it
biggrin.gif

and now guys please stop fighting i think we are all old enough...

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
@DeadlyFoez, I just reread your past few posts, and I gotta say, I can hear your sobriety through your writing, lol. Seriously, I think you expressed your opinion without saying anything offensive. And even after the discussion got heated, I think you did a pretty good job of censoring yourself from saying anything overly offensive (I think I could literally hear you biting your tongue through the internet, lol).

Maybe some people misinterpreted it, or they are very sensitive to criticism of their work.

I think you have some valid points... and I think/hope the retro team has heard them loud and clear. The retro game will have wall jumping and star coins (from what I read), it may not be included yet (re. the star coins) but they'll be added later (so I read, again).

Anyways, just my 2 cents...

nikeymikey

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As far as im concerned the argument is over, i know foez has his own way of saying things and i gotta say ive seen his posts on other threds and a lot of the time i agree with what hes saying, sometimes i really do lol when i read them.

As i said before all feedback is good feedback, even if it is negative, it all helps.
Maybe i was a little harsh when i replied to his post earlier, being overly protective as someone else put it, but i had just got up and had not had a smoke yet! Anyway i dont wanna make enemies here im sorry i was out of order.

I am putting the idea of 2 versions to the team now in the forum, i think its a good idea, maybe it will happen. If not maybe ill do it myself when the original project is finished.

Tonitonichopchop

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like the idea of improved level design. When I think of good remakes, I always remember the remakes that went above and beyond to restore the classic and add new things to make it better. For example, adding 30 extra stars and new playable characters in Super Mario 64 ds made it much more memorable for me. Whereas a remake like Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 not as much since it was relatively the same save for a few e-reader issues and a save function. I don't know what the creator of this hack is aiming for, but I think this hack will be much better and liked more if enhancements are made. Maybe even adding in levels from other Mario games here and there would be good. I think we can all agree that if we wanted to play Super Mario Bros., we would just play it on an emulator. This hack will be pointless if it's the same old same old imo

DaFees

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I may add my two cents: I think there should kind of be both. Recreate the original game (SMB) exactly as it was as close as possible. Then keeping in mind that a good player on the average could easily beat the game between 7 to 10 minutes if they so desired. Add in the fact that with a newer engine and controls that time might even be cut slightly shorter. Keeping this in mind, I would welcome a strict recreation, but then at the same time would enjoy an enhanced version, that borrows elements from the original (level designs being about the only thing you can borrow), but includes new elements like perhaps multiplayer or expanding levels to make benefit of all the new objects found within the game that is NSMBW.

I understand that the team behind this hack's goal may be a strict recreation, but with what I and others have said, I'm not sure that such a hack will offer substance and replay value. Sure it's great for the sake of what it is, but after playing it twice (once where you go through every level and once where you take all the shortcuts), I couldn't imagine playing it too many other times except when wanting to show it off to friends, especially since the original game was largely a single player game and the NSMBW is more geared towards the multiplayer aspects, which this recreation would make little use of, I would imagine. Speaking of multiplayer, unless this hack comes up with a way to remove the ability that is multiplayer then you would be essentially allowing a game that is, by today's standards, easy to become even easier.

Either way though I intend not to sound harsh or critical of the genius that is behind this project in fact I applaud it for the brilliant and immense effort.Whatever becomes of the final product / release I definitely look forward to it.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if the levels seem to short, you can just combine them. i mean just make 1 long level that is 1-1 but instead of a flagpole, it continues into 1-2 and then 1-3 and 1-4.

nikeymikey

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That is a good idea and we may use it, IF, we decide to combine SMB and SMB:LL into one iso.

Otherwise the levels will be kept seperate, i think i can be certain in saying that but all these decisions fall to Ragee, he's in charge.

oneleggedjack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would someone like to help me out with SMB: LL World 8 Level 4?
SuperMarioAll-Stars-SuperMarioBros-TheLostLevels-World8-Area4.png

I need help making the area loop, and I have a camera issue with the 2 piped tiny area. If someone could test/edit it I would be more than grateful.
Here is the arc file
I also need to find information for the timers and music etc.

nikeymikey

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
ismaelWii said:
Hi, i've made the stage 7-1, only left the enemies, but I have a problem. When I run the level on the Wii, I get a black screen T_T. Can you help me to find the error? I've checked all entrances, but it is the same...
Here's the stage: http://www.mediafire.com/?zajmjmn5nyl

Thanks

Is it 7-1 from the original mario bros or from the lost levels?
Because all the originals are already done.

thchang

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
where do i replace the VampireLordAlucard's background replacement arc file?
i cannot find corresponding file locations

edit: never mind i found it, it's under object

ismaelWii

Trophies
Website
www.ismaro3.es
XP
Country
nikeymikey said:
ismaelWii said:
Hi, i've made the stage 7-1, only left the enemies, but I have a problem. When I run the level on the Wii, I get a black screen T_T. Can you help me to find the error? I've checked all entrances, but it is the same...
Here's the stage: http://www.mediafire.com/?zajmjmn5nyl

Thanks

Is it 7-1 from the original mario bros or from the lost levels?
Because all the originals are already done.
Ouch!, it's from the original.
But, anyway, can someone tell me where is the error? So I can get to work on levels of Lost Levels.
Thanks

thchang

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
played 1-1~3-4
found quite few problems

1. the warp zone in 1-2 doesn't work
2. every castle level crashes when i hit the switch at the end, include 1-4, 2-4, 3-4
3. there's a ground glitch on 3-2 where the mario will fall down under the snow, around 1 block down.
4. i think the 1-1 first pipe exit is wrong, in my memory, it shouldn't end up to the end of the world

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Yeah it's on now
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why are most new south park episodes half hour specials?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Psionic Roshambo, let me get a Netflix account I've always been nice to you
    +1
    I made a honey pepper glazed turkey breast for dinner turned out pretty bomb
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We can Netflix and chill
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Nvm not half hour, but hour long
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Normal south park episodes are already half hour
    Got 2 free Xumo boxes they work pretty good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm happy to get anything most series don't make it pass 6 seasons
    Except Stars and Encore those are being a bitch lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I may consider that onn pro box finally a media box with type A ;O
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, cuz the companies don't want em to
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No it's revenue and demand south park could argue has a bigger audience than family guy about the same
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Family guy is worth 300mill south parks worth 1Bill according to the interwebs
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, probably cuz family guy is more disliked compared to south park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It just does the same formula south park can press buttons without going overboard
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    And bc most of the family guy budget is spent on the voice actors rather than on the animation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Southpark could spend 30k on a animated dick and people would laugh at it
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    lol one prescription to Lizzo
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    who is lizzo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, doge is dead
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan: