Hacking Replacing a rom on cartridge?

Mohammad

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to replace a ROM on a cartridge? So I can change the game? Want to let a friend play Soma Bringer with English patch. Thanks in advance

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
TrolleyDave said:
Nope. Real cartridges are read only.

Actually, assuming the save type was the same, you could replace the ROM on a real cart with an EEPROM that has the desired game written to it. Unfortunately, you would have to manually rewrite the eeprom to change the game that is loaded on it, and it is possible that the new game would have to be the same size as the original game you replaced. Such a hack has been done with NES carts before, but it would be much easier to buy a budget flash cart and a cheap microsd card.

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
What TrolleyDave said.

Think about the logic here; it's called ROM for a reason. ROM stands for 'Read Only Memory'. Do you think with 'Read Only Memory' that you would be able to write to it?

/thread

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Cheers Hank.
grog.gif

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Its impossible. The games and saves use their own memory. Saves are stored in a readable and writable block of memory while the actual games are read only. Theres no way to replace the game with another. Game carts are mass produced, they aren't transferred one by one onto the actual chip set, this would take far to long. What they do is actually imprint the hardware with the game. So don't think of the memory where the game is stored as a hard drive but more of a chip that stores the game for read only operations.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mohammad said:
lol should of thought of ROM, alright I guess I can lend out my SCSD

Are you NUTS!?! Don't lend out anything! If your friends can't get their own flashcart, tough shit for them! It's their loss. If they don't realize that getting a flashcart is a benefit to them and they would rather pay for games than get them for free, screw them.

You want to help them out? Point them to a site that sells flashcarts and to all the ROMsites you know of. THAT is how to help them, not lending them stuff.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3