Hacking Riivolution for backups

chaosdarkneo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've used the search function, and I do know that it wasn't possible some time ago... However, is it possible now?

But I'm in need of something like this, as my brother recently broke my Super Mario Galaxy 2 disk, which I was using in conjunction with Riivolution for this project here:

http://supermariogalaxy2-5.com/index.cgi

Now that I don't have an original disk, I can't use Riivolution, and thus, can't do anything for the project...

I was lucky enough to make a backup of my disk, of course, and stick it on my 500GB hard drive...

Is it possible, or has it been done already?
Is there any way to have Riivolution work for backups?

Or am I simply out of luck?

Thanks in advance...

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
According to their site you have to buy a new copy.
If the game is published by Nintendo and it was purchased more than 90 days ago, or you do not have a proof of purchase, we cannot offer a warranty repair. (This also includes games that were purchased used or that are physically damaged.) We recommend purchasing a replacement copy of the game at a retailer.

But regardless you're going to need a new disc if you want to use Riivolution.

diddy81

Wii Theme Team
Trophies
XP
Country
your going to need to buy a new disc
but until you do you could try replacing the files in a iso to test on your usb loader or in dolphin

megazig

SU
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
According to their site you have to buy a new copy.
If the game is published by Nintendo and it was purchased more than 90 days ago, or you do not have a proof of purchase, we cannot offer a warranty repair. (This also includes games that were purchased used or that are physically damaged.) We recommend purchasing a replacement copy of the game at a retailer.

But regardless you're going to need a new disc if you want to use Riivolution.

this is a broken policy :(

megazig

SU
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
broken media should be replaceable. and to prevent piracy it should be able to be done without time restrictions if there's proof of purchase

mvgc3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But it's not that hard to keep discs in good condition. If a disc gets broken it's the owner's fault, or rather not the company's. chaosdarkneo said his brother broke the disc, which was either malicious, or a result of improper handling (left on the floor or something). It's not Nintendo's responsibility to replace it.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but the cost of the disc is literally around a penny or two for the company. if proof of purchase is provided, a replacement would not hurt the company that severely.

an example, i bought a microsoft keyboard and mouse a while back, probably over a year ago, and the mouse wheel kept stopping and wouldn't work again until i pulled the battery. i called them and you know what they did? they sent me a brand new keyboard and mouse, without asking for the original POS back. so now i got a free keyboard and mouse (and it was a better model). not many people break their discs and when asked they should send a new one. hell even make the person pay for shipping.

that being said, riivolution sucks. the devs go out of their way to block pirates. i boycott and protest riivolution. i know Newer Super mario bros is going to use it, but i guess i won't be playing it if thats the only method. i like the devs behind it, but blocking piracy is a joke. using the software on a wii is unauthorized by nintendo as is.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
broken media should be replaceable. and to prevent piracy it should be able to be done without time restrictions if there's proof of purchase
No it shouldn't. Nintendo isn't responsible for how you (or anyone near you) treat their games. Their only duty is to make sure the disc itself is in good condition when you buy it.

Piracy is never an argument in this, and it's even absurd to mention it. It's like threatening to rob a bank if they don't lower their loan conditions.

EDIT: @VashTS: did riivolution had any update since I last checked, then? I know that at first, the reason riivolution didn't work on backups was because their hacks were simply interfering with cIOS and the developers didn't go out of their way to cater for non-standard IOS'es (which, face it, change far more often than IOS'es). The attitude pirates gave them not exactly encouraged them to do so either, but afaik, they didn't go anywhere to actively block pirates (aside from not releasing the source code, that is).

OneUp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you wanted to use a burned backup of the game you could trick riivolution into thinking it was a normal game if you installed one of those full cIOS mods that replaces every IOS. However, I don't think there is a current version and that method is generally seen as unsafe etc.

I haven't actually explored XNEEK, but it might also be able to trick riivolution into thinking a real game was loaded in the drive (even from usb).

It would be neat if Nintendo offered a replacement disk, even if it cost the user a bit of money, but still be cheaper than buying another copy. My Mario Party 8 disk and Mario Kart Wii disk somehow got damaged to where they either won't load, or freeze in game. Luckily I backed up a friend's copies and can play it, but not with riivolution.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nintendo can't be responsible for replacing every Wii disc anyone breaks. That would cost them a clean fortune. I can see where you're coming from, but if you buy something, it's up to you to look after it and keep it in good condition.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If you wanted to use a burned backup of the game you could trick riivolution into thinking it was a normal game if you installed one of those full cIOS mods that replaces every IOS. However, I don't think there is a current version and that method is generally seen as unsafe etc.

I haven't actually explored XNEEK, but it might also be able to trick riivolution into thinking a real game was loaded in the drive (even from usb).
Hmm...don't take it the wrong way, but I think vou have no idea what you're talking about. The whole reason riivolution doesn't work with backups is because it doesn't work with non-standard IOS'es. Installing more cIOS'es won't suddenly change that simple fact.

Neek is the exact same thing: it doesn't use original IOS'es* so riivolution won't work on them.

*though I have to admit I'm not sure how they are different

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Hmm...don't take it the wrong way, but I think vou have no idea what you're talking about. The whole reason riivolution doesn't work with backups is because it doesn't work with non-standard IOS'es. Installing more cIOS'es won't suddenly change that simple fact.

Neek is the exact same thing: it doesn't use original IOS'es* so riivolution won't work on them.

*though I have to admit I'm not sure how they are different

With *NEEK, some modules are replaced (most notably, DI - this is what allows backups. I think also ES and some other stuff though) by *NEEK, so only parts of the official IOS are running. Or something like that.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
But it's not that hard to keep discs in good condition. If a disc gets broken it's the owner's fault, or rather not the company's. chaosdarkneo said his brother broke the disc, which was either malicious, or a result of improper handling (left on the floor or something). It's not Nintendo's responsibility to replace it.
It is Nintendos fault for not allowing it to be handled properly.
Because proper handling of ANY data that is worth something includes making a backup.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    RG Cube is going to be good for ps2 if it's $100
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, and since the default emulator is below average i downloaded some "replacements" like snes9x for snes games for example
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    And I also have my ps3
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea ps3 is a beast still to today compared to most "sticks"
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you just want pi for emulation no point when Anbernic releases new shit every two seconds
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's really cool about Pi's tho is you can have multiple SD cards with different OS on each SD card and change from say a gaming machine to a full fledged pc if wanted
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Plus all bios are set up and usually includes at least 128gbs or 64
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah but if your main goal is just to play n64 and GameCube you can save about $50 and have the portability option
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, but on 2 monitors at 4k. Its just want you want really, to each they own.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    For a kids aspect Anbernic would be the better option they'd probably melt over the price on a good 4k display
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    For that texasroo guy, I'd recommend the Spell and speak as his first system.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So they buy a pi5 kit for about $150 and say a 28" 4k display probably looking around $400 total
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll be getting in the territory of portable Pcs anyway
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Again you get what you pay for, its like buying a S series for $300 but its only 1440p native, if you want true 4k, gotta get the X model for $500. But yea you right, when moms buying it anyways, you gotta stay cheap.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They could use HD out on their TV no real need for a monitor these days tbh the purists will disagree
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm kind of phasing out on the need for wanting all these consoles cool to have but they just become dust build ups
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I here ya there, I have too many myself, and have hard time letting them go, since most of mine I've modded at some point. Anymore I just play Switch on the go, seriesx at home.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    ack my throat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I need to invest in some storage totes tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Tots?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tootles
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Tootles? Wtf
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh tootles
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh totes , lol, like Tupperware storage, I gotcha
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm designing my own entertainment cabinet for my man hole, to store all my systems, then I'm also designing a power supply/HDMI switcher so I can switch to whichever system I want, and power it also. Already picked up the cabinet board, but tinkering with my drawings before start
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I'm designing my own entertainment cabinet for my man hole, to store all my systems, then I'm...