Rumor: No Disc Drive For Next Xbox

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
The next gen games are going to cost a lot more, no matter what type of storage they use.
how did you work that one out?
games are going to stay the same price, are you seriously thinking games are going to cost more than $60 or whatever the standard price is for AAA games

kthnxshwn

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The next gen games are going to cost a lot more, no matter what type of storage they use.
how did you work that one out?
games are going to stay the same price, are you seriously thinking games are going to cost more than $60 or whatever the standard price is for AAA games
Games from within this generation have gone up from 50 to 60 dollars so I guess he's just following a trend.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
They'll be cutting out a huge chunk of their market by removing physical media, not everyone is fortunate enough to have a capable internet connection
Removing the disc drive doesn't remove physical media. It just removes the disc format (which is a problem in some way for nearly all consoles this gen). Now if only everyone would understand that making a propriety disc format (Nintendo especially done this) isn't the way to go. After DVD/BluRay-drives have been added to consoles, it removes one extra device from my TV stand :3
Eh, Nintendo supports SD cards on the DSi/3DS, USB on the Wii and the same charger for DSi/3DS. Their proprietary formats are usually for necessity, or fee dodging. Not usually blatant cash grabs like the stuff the vita is filled with.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Eh, Nintendo supports SD cards on the DSi/3DS, USB on the Wii and the same charger for DSi/3DS. Their proprietary formats are usually for necessity, or fee dodging. Not usually blatant cash grabs like the stuff the vita is filled with.
Do you see DVD or BluRay loading on the Wii? Do you see (non-modded) USB/SD loading on the Wii for retail discs? Do you really see game loading on the DSi/3DS? I'm talking about retail games, not the DSiWare or VC titles currently available on the store. That's my point. I don't see SD cards being cheap when the consoles launched for that matter (well the 3DS yes, but still).

But the point is true that Nintendo has averted certain costs by using their own format, but at least they could have used a drive which allows other formats to be loaded. At least DVD.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But if they use expensive storage, they'll cost more on top of costing more.
I could understand cartridges costing more than DVD's, but cartridges are also more expensive than blurays, with the added licensing fees from Sony? Or more expensive than making a proprietary disc format?

Vampire Lied

Resident sociopath
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If there is absolutely no physical copy of games to buy, i'll pass.
I would much rather buy a gaming computer and plug in a wired 360 controller.
As for older games, I'm fine with digital. With games I really want in my collection, I won't buy it unless I have the box, instructions and disc/cart.
M$ gonna shoot themselves in the foot with this.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
I think we have acheived a place in time where this is completely possible. I dont see why not.

Think about it this way. Games are expensive. You know that. I know that. Most people I know sell their games to recoup some of the cost of the purchase so that they may buy more new games. Pretty good system right? Right.

Following me so far? Good. Now, if there was no way to resell your games, (like if MS went completely digital) That means no way to recoup the costs, which also means less sales overall. Less sales means 3rd parties go somewhere else. 3rd parties go somewhere else means a dead console.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Disk drive as in hard disk drive, or as in optical disk drive?
Disc drive, as in a drive you put discs in.
It's not a quote and we don't know the wording of the original, so it may have been disk and somebody simply typed disc when passing the info on because they don't know the difference.

Necron

Lurking~
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Think about it this way. Games are expensive. You know that. I know that. Most people I know sell their games to recoup some of the cost of the purchase so that they may buy more new games. Pretty good system right? Right.

Following me so far? Good. Now, if there was no way to resell your games, (like if MS went completely digital) That means no way to recoup the costs, which also means less sales overall. Less sales means 3rd parties go somewhere else. 3rd parties go somewhere else means a dead console.
Wasn't that exactly what companies wanted? Erase the second hand market, so everybody buys brand new? (leaving aside the recoup costs part)

MelodieOctavia

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti

Wasn't that exactly what companies wanted? Erase the second hand market, so everybody buys brand new? (leaving aside the recoup costs part)

That's not what companies want. That's what they THINK they want. Resellable games is one of the last advantages of console gaming. If that goes away, I have a feeling there will be a mass exodus to PC.

MelodieOctavia

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Won't happen only way is if it all around the world internet was offerred with much more bandwith.

That's a good point. Microsoft would be cutting off their nose to spite their face. Not everyone in the world has unlimited plans with their ISP. Even less have the kind of speeds to make this sort of thing feasible. Compared to the spread of Xbox 360 consoles across the planet, the market for this new console would be limited to countries with at least a high ceiling on their download limit and at least a 5MB download speed.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I wonder if Drakes still allowed to use his Instagram