Gaming Steam for Mac

Beats

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Just got my hands on the leaked Private Beta!

I. LOVE. IT.

It lacks any games at the moment, but it's definitely a looker!

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Without games it's just a GUI like any other application, I fail to see how you can love it. Not to mention that it looks exactly the same as the PC counterpart.

Beats

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
8BitWalugi said:
Pics or it didn't happen
kk.

steam1.png

steam2.png

Doubt me now?

It can't play any games atm.

YourHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought this was out already. But heres your question mac users. HAO2SECONDPORTAL? Thats right! The second portal uses the right click, but you have 1 button? How do you scroll on a mac too? I guess you will all have to buy a more compatible mouse?

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
YourHero said:
Snorlax said:
Another upside for when I finally make the complete transfer to Mac. :]
why would you do such a thing? I swear I only see big business and tv shows using mac.
If you aren't going to post anything constructive and are just going to be a douche, don't bother posting. No one cares about your anti-Mac opinions. A lot of people like Mac computers, they are great at what they do, just because you can't afford one or don't like the options they provide doesn't make them bad.

It's nice to see that Apple is finally starting to get some recognition from someone in regards to games on their computers. We know that their computers have the power to handle most of the games you see on Steam, however this might be a good reason for Apple to look at making a more affordable desktop style system that isn't the big honking Mac Pro which really is more of an industry/productivity machine then a gaming system, so that users have the capability of upgrading their computers video cards to somewhat keep up with industry standards for graphics processing since they seem to be a bit behind in that regard.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
YourHero said:
But heres your question mac users. HAO2SECONDPORTAL? Thats right! The second portal uses the right click, but you have 1 button? How do you scroll on a mac too? I guess you will all have to buy a more compatible mouse?
Look at me, I'm trying to tell mac owners "facts" about products they own when I obviously don't own one myself!
Macs have supported right-clicking for a long, long time. The mice traditionally only had one button because the OS rarely needed an alternate click, and if it was needed, it was always available via Command (the Super/Windows key) plus clicking. Any modern mac will recognize and properly use a 2-button mouse (they've been able to use them for years and years), and on modern mac laptops you simply click with two fingers for a right-click.

If you last updated your info 10 years ago, maybe you should check it's accuracy before you post it.

YourHero said:
QUOTE(Snorlax @ Apr 23 2010, 03:16 AM) Another upside for when I finally make the complete transfer to Mac. :]
why would you do such a thing? I swear I only see big business and tv shows using mac.
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
The W3C reports that home mac users outnumber home linux users, 6.9% last month.

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
arctic_flame said:
It's the same as the windows version. Which is what everyone was expecting
Yes, but for Mac, which will help get devs interested in Mac gaming (or help all the current devs distribute).

Valve is making a big move with the port of Steam and it's (Valve) games. The biggest benefit in my belief is the cross platform play. Macs can play with PC's for once.

This will strongly benefit the flaming threads games to keep them alive and will further interest Mac users into other games from the new/old devs who are utilizing Steam. This won't be too kind to Apple's game store. With Steam's usual deals, they should help keep prices less draconian (if the IP holders would allow).

Also, Valve gets more money. That's a good thing.

PLEASE NOTE: I'm am not a fan of Apple products.This is from a Windows user's point of view.

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
juggernaut911 said:
arctic_flame said:
It's the same as the windows version. Which is what everyone was expecting
Yes, but for Mac, which will help get devs interested in Mac gaming (or help all the current devs distribute).

Valve is making a big move with the port of Steam and it's (Valve) games. The biggest benefit in my belief is the cross platform play. Macs can play with PC's for once.

This will strongly benefit the flaming threads games to keep them alive and will further interest Mac users into other games from the new/old devs who are utilizing Steam. This won't be too kind to Apple's game store. With Steam's usual deals, they should help keep prices less draconian (if the IP holders would allow).

Also, Valve gets more money. That's a good thing.

PLEASE NOTE: I'm am not a fan of Apple products.This is from a Windows user's point of view.

Gabe Newell picked the mac platform, since if people are stupid rich enough to buy a mac, they'll have plenty of money for buying games from his store.
(I also get the feeling that while windows users will have choices over what source engine they want to use, there'll only be one available for mac users)

Rydian said:
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
The W3C reports that home mac users outnumber home linux users, 6.9% last month.
to quote directly from the page:
"Statistics Are Often Misleading

You cannot - as a web developer - rely only on statistics. Statistics can often be misleading.

Global averages may not always be relevant to your web site. Different sites attract different audiences. Some web sites attract professional developers using professional hardware, while other sites attract hobbyists using old low spec computers. "
Plus, you seem to forget that the people who would need W3schools the most, would probably not be using *nix. (*nix systems generally being associated with performance and developers, not silly apple fanboys on their oversimplified OS)

All that aside, the new client looks good. Just like the windows version, but with the obvious UI changes.
And on the upside, mac users are finally able to play portal! Only a few years after everyone else (October 9th 2007 was original release date)

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
YourHero said:
I thought this was out already. But heres your question mac users. HAO2SECONDPORTAL? Thats right! The second portal uses the right click, but you have 1 button? How do you scroll on a mac too? I guess you will all have to buy a more compatible mouse?

most mac mice have a right click these days, the is always CMD click, and the trackpad on my macbook pro right clicks by tapping with two fingers, hell it is the only track pad that lets me play games decently on the go.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night