ROM Hack Super Smash Bros. DS...

ctkxtreme

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The only way you could have a decent SSB on DS is if the sprites all fit the same art style. Pretty much everyone takes these sprites for Smash games, so it's nothing special.

Shabadage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be fair, Darko is claiming that the rips are just being used as placeholders till he can do the real graphics. I've never seen anyone so excited about ripping sprites though. The coder is probably gonna have one hell of a time replacing all those gfx if he's using the sprites for a collision box. I hope he's not. The coder is making very fast progress though; but still having a basic movement engine is a far cry from having a full fighting engine complete.

I'll have hope for this project if the gfx artists actually start being gfx artists instead of shoopers.

D

Deleted User

T-Bag and Darko, heh.

Screenshots look terrible, but if the game's playable then I'm fine with it
tongue.gif

Tapper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know, it's annoying as hell to watch the community slaughter good ideas. There's no reason Smash Brothers can't be done on the DS, and Jump Stars is proof of that. True, it would be difficult (if possible at all) to make the game like the original Smash, but what game ported to the DS is ANYTHING like it's original console origin?

If you step back from the game and break down the elements of the Smash Brothers engines, it's very simple, actually. You have a 2D side-scrolling fighter, crossed with a platforming engine. Throw in some powerup items and a wide variety of arenas, and you have a Smash Brothers game. That's all there is to it. Smash Brothers is 3D, but it plays like 2D - There's never any serious camera rotation involved in the main gameplay. So why bother with 3D at all. Is this easy to make? No. But it's certainly not impossible.

And can anybody try and tell me - in all honesty - that the Nintendo DS can't handle a 2D platform engine?

I didn't think so.

You guys might want to take a look at my project while you're at it. Not many screenshots yet, but if you read through the topic you'll see how myself and the rest of the community have managed to hammer out solutions to most of the problems in designing this.

http://forum.palib.info/index.php?topic=4524.0

Anorhc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tapper, I don't recall anyone in this thread shooting down this idea at all. If anything, we're criticizing the art style and the spriting that is being used and shown so far. So rather than ranting about how possible the game is (we know since most of us have played JUS, and someone has already mentioned that in this thread), and being all defensive, I suggest taking a step back and actually read the posts clearly before making anymore ill-informed judgment about our comments/posts. No one mentioned 3D, no one mentioned the difficulty of making the game. Since they obviously have something to show, (and something that we obviously can't physically test ourselves), we will always remain skeptical.

Tapper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most of the posts are clearly directed at the art style, but several seemed more directed at the idea. And there's been a lot of discussions that have gone that way. I was addressing the general population that is convinced a Smash Brothers-style game is impossible.

Skeptical is understandable, I wasn't directing this at the skeptical.

I didn't mean to come off that defensive or harsh. I was just trying to illustrate a point. My apologies for the tone. There's just been a lot of hostility towards the idea, and I wanted to make a point that it's well within the realm of possibility.

Kingfield

Trophies
XP
Country
Here we have the first ScreenShots.Its very Similar to Brawl!

Lmfao. Not to be slack or anything but that is horrrrrrrrrible. =="

Trippy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People are down on this game because the gfx are so inconsistent. They seem to be random rips. I'm guessing that's why people are skeptical.

psycoblaster

Divine
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sprites aren't original.. They should have someone that can create 3D sprites with smoother movements... or at least 2d sprites that looks 3D...
The background NEEDS to be improved, at least to a better 2D background.
I would think a 3D sprite but 2D background would be very original, with the zooms and background almost identical to the N64 version
biggrin.gif

But nice start
biggrin.gif

I would really look into this if sprite is re-made by a "real" designer, and many more stuff are smoothened and improved.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
psycoblaster said:
I would think a 3D sprite but 2D background would be very original, with the zooms and background almost identical to the N64 version
biggrin.gif

But nice start
biggrin.gif
By 3D sprites do you mean like in Donkey Kong Country where it used 3D models and then turned them into 2D sprites or 3D as in actual 3D characters?

TaeK

Trophies
Website
d4nart.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Hadrian said:
psycoblaster said:
biggrin.gif

But nice start
biggrin.gif
By 3D sprites do you mean like in Donkey Kong Country where it used 3D models and then turned them into 2D sprites or 3D as in actual 3D characters?

Pseudo 2D 3D sprites dont really look very nice though:

2d3d.jpg

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TaeK said:
Hadrian said:
psycoblaster said:
biggrin.gif

But nice start
biggrin.gif

Pseudo 2D 3D sprites dont really look very nice though:

2d3d.jpg
I agree.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3