Hacking Switch hacking future proof?

raylgo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Just checking if things changed since last I've seriously read about switch hacking. Last I read was every firmware with the exploitable bootrom would be eventually hackable. This was during fw 3.0 days when everyone was still hesitant to move on to the 4.0 fw in the hope of a coldboot exploit .

Decided to wait on a switch revision to hack my old one and get a new one... But the old exploitable one is already on 6.2 (to play Diablo and mhgu online) so I need to know if it will eventually be hackable or will Nintendo find a way to block it off forever.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fusee Gelee is an exploit of the Switch's read-only bootrom courtesy of Nvidia that allows us to send payloads while the Switch is in RCM. This part is unpatchable because the bootrom is read-only meaning it cannot be patched via a firmware update.

What Nintendo can control is everything after that which is CFW. CFW is basically patching the firmware so if Nintendo changes the firmware, CFW will have to be patched to match the changes. And currently, as of 6.2, the patches utilize a part of the Switch that has not been studied at all, or very loosely.

So in short, while Nintendo cannot patch the exploit, they can patch the CFW. Case in point was when firmware 11.8 came out for the 3DS which broke Luma despite the untethered coldboot exploit, B9S, which gives us full access to the 3DS. Eventually it was fixed and just like Luma, all CFW will eventually be patched to work with 6.2. But it will take a lot longer than the Luma fix since this change relies on a part of the Switch that has very little to no documentation.

raylgo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh ok. The 3ds comparison made it all clear since I went through it all until the release of the switch. Thank you everyone.

Guess only time will tell. But at least now I know that the door will always be open when I decide to hack my switch.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...