• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

The situation in Ukraine...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
Putin doesn't want an additional NATO country at his border, that's a FACT.
What guarantees that he will stop at Ukraine? The NATO. Really, it's that simple. Sign the agreement that Ukraine will not join NATO, and the war is over. It's that simple. No more bloodshed. That's a reasonable price for saving thousands of lives and saving this planet from a possible nuclear war.

Remember when, during the cold war, a russian warship with nuclear warheads was on it's way to Cuba to build up the silos there? Remember how USA threatened the soviets with a nuclear war when they won't turn around? We're in the same situation right now, only with role reversal.

Guaranteeing that Ukraine won't join the NATO, is such a minor sacrifice, considering how many human lives can be saved by that act. Everyone can keep what they already have, Ukraine will stay a sovereign country, the west can still earn a lot of money by providing Ukraine with a lot of military equipment, and Russia shuts the fuck up. That would be the best possible outcome considering how the situation heats up right now.

Moldova, Finland and Sweden do not belong to NATO, and Putin already threatened the later two this week.

Putin will want more than that, he'll want and independent territory and limitations to the army and he'll continue to feed insurrectionists.

Ukraine will probably sign that deal if it's not given assurances it'll be accepted in NATO, but that will mean that Ukraine will be forever a puppet state of Russia and the same will happen if any of the other 3 countries decide to join NATO. Also, until when Russia decide to take another Crimea out of the Ukraine?

This is what Putin wants, to show weakness in NATO and the West and that he is the de facto power in the region.

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: pustal

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
Reactions: AlexMCS

almmiron

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Just to express my feelings: I'm brazilian, graduated in History. 99% of the academics here hate Bolsonaro, so no, we (common people) are not neutral Like he Says.

We hate war and violence, and Russia is terribly wrong to engage, aside legitimate concerns about the frontiers and NATO. About the Siege Russia did to Ukraine, before the invasion, when the all media of the world became nuts: This is Like Russia feels all these decades after NATO 1949. Surrounded. But no one cares, but Russia itself, you see?

I think diplomacy could resolve this, it's hard, but it could. Putin is far from being a good diplomat, though.

Last edited by almmiron,

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
Its currently more stable than the Russian Ruble right now, and that alone is saying something.
Nonesense, the ruble is very stabl...y falling xD

Just to express my feelings: I'm brazilian, graduated in History. 99% of the academics here hate Bolsonaro, so no, we (common people) are not neutral Like he Says.

We hate war and violence, and Russia is terribly wrong to engage, aside legitimate concerns about the frontiers and OTAN. About the Siege Russia did to Ukraine, before the invasion, when the all media of the world became nuts: This is Like Russia feels all these decades after OTAN 1949. Surrounded. But no one cares, but Russia itself, you see?

I think diplomacy could resolve this, it's hard, but it could. Putin is far from being a good diplomat, though.

You should use 'NATO': rather than 'OTAN' in an English speaking thread not to create confusion.

Modern Russia as never acted in an assuring way towards outsiders: Georgia, Moldova, Ossetia, Chechnya, Ukraine and Syria. Not to mention having for more than once spoken about engaging with Finland

I wasn't been the only war mongering, super power, but there is no feeling sorry for the Russian government. They have resources, they could have established themselves economically and diplomatically but they took the route of oppressing their neighbors beyond their own people.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Thats what Ultra Right wing Conservatives wanted to project mostly because anything against President Biden.
Most Normal Right Conservatives are not for this conflict.
the problem is the Normal Conservatives are being slient and all your hearing is the American Nazis sect.
Why everything is an USA's domestic electoral matter for the average American?

From my perspective, every single USA president kept the same degree of interventionism and imperialism at least since I learned to read the news. Russia on other hand was already an expansionist nation like 300 years before USA even exists. This two empires are in a cold fight for influence, as always btw, and the Ukraine is the current victim.

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because US politics in this day and age has been rotted away to a point of two opposing teams flinging shit at each other making it each other's fault than doing something practical about it and getting out of their own way about shit. But we do not live in an era of personal accountability and action anymore, so its easier to blame sides than to actually do something about changing things for the better.

Shits like seeing kids argue over which Console is the best. That is our political state of being right now.

Valwinz

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
we are been bombarded by a level of propaganda i have never experienced before stories keep getting debunk about magical planes and fake stories about happenings in the war

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i hope i didn't misjudge by breaking up with my gf now that Putin raised the stakes by alot by putting his nuke force on standby as i said before 5 bases near me a perfect first target for Russia

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

From my perspective, every single USA president kept the same degree of interventionism and imperialism at least since I learned to read the news. Russia on other hand was already an expansionist nation like 300 years before USA even exists. This two empires are in a cold fight for influence, as always btw, and the Ukraine is the current victim.
lol Trolly Troll
maybe because I was answering a question '

Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 3.52.39 PM.png

Reactions: pustal and Cortador

MMX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
we need to get a list together of gbatempers who make a military group and then we drive to ukraine and fight against russia :)

who's with me?

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
There usually isn't. People are usually either fighting or hiding when guns are fired.

Ok. Well, wasn't there 100,000 troops at the border 5 days ago?

Where's the smartphone footage of them marching down the street? It's literally just a few helicopters, some all terrain vehicles and missiles strikes from hundreds of miles away.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
Ok. Well, wasn't there 100,000 troops at the border 5 days ago?

Where's the smartphone footage of them marching down the street? It's literally just a few helicopters, some all terrain vehicles and missiles strikes from hundreds of miles away.

Well, it's not a parade. Typically a modern warfare advancement starts with air strikes and artillery and then infantry. Air units can bombard or be used to cover artillery (Russia doesn't want to make the country disfuncional to govern so air coverage is mostly being used to cover ground units), and artillery goes before infantry, because you don't want to blow your soldiers with your own tanks.

Infantry units, like anything else use fire arms, so it's cover-based combat.

This is what an attack looks like (NSFW / shocking images) (also, another of many Russian war crimes in this war). The shooters are not out in the open. If you can see them you are also in target for them.

Reactions: Xzi

BitMasterPlus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heard they're gonna just start bombing the shit outta Ukraine now since the ground troops approach isn't working too well. It's gonna turn more dark by the day. I pray for those who are still alive for their safety.

we need to get a list together of gbatempers who make a military group and then we drive to ukraine and fight against russia :)

who's with me?
I'm sure a lot of people who are against Russia and said Putin should die will gladly join the fight right away without a second thought, yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @DolphinCube, no problem ^_^