Hacking Transfering games from pc to wii over network

GurliGebis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I was wondering, if there is a homebrew tool that can be used to transfer games over the network between my PC and the USB harddrive connected to the Wii, while it is still connected to the Wii?

The harddrive is placed so it requires quiet an efford to get it unplugged and connected to the PC, so it would be a real time saver (even though the network is slower that USB directly).

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
none that i know of but still it would be pointess, it would take less time to plugin the HDD into the pc then transfer even a small game over wifi, thats why none have been made

GurliGebis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've got RJ45 connection to it, so it goes faster :-)

And still, the harddrive is placed so it's quiet difficult to unplug, so doing it over the network would still be a better option - the speed doesn't matter that much.

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
GurliGebis said:
I've got RJ45 connection to it, so it goes faster :-)

And still, the harddrive is placed so it's quiet difficult to unplug, so doing it over the network would still be a better option - the speed doesn't matter that much.

ethernet cable or not the application deosnt exsist to tranfer games from a pc to a WBFS drive and i dont think it will ever be coded as its really pointless to anyone even if a HDD is inconveniently placed by the user a coder wont try to make one for that single reason alone

either get a usb powered one or move the HDD in a better place

Eddie_Brock

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
FTPii works to transfer files thru the network to an attached USB hard drive... but I am assuming that you want to add games to a WBFS partition, in which case, as posted above, you are out of luck (for now).

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
All needed applications DO exist, just not in one single Tool.
Well and its dead slow for me (~140kb/s), but I use a crappy wifi connection.
Wired should be faster.

You will also need some basic Linux experience.
You might need to run Linux on your Computer (for nbd-client).

Basicaly works like this:

1 install debian on wii (http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=177262)
2 install network block device (http://nbd.sourceforge.net/)
2a ... server on wii (aptitude install nbd-server)
2b ... client on computer (depends on os/distri)
3 run server on wii & client on pc
4 access remote disk as if it was local (use whatever wbfs-manager you like)

I will try to help with problems, but not guide by hand.
If you dont know what to do at all, this method is not for you.
PM will not work, try posting.

moparisthebest

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A better solution would be a loader (neogamma, softchip, gecko os, etc) that would load a game from a SMB share over the network. Has that ever been tried before?

Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
The new WODE device might be able to support this function, but that isnt confirmed and will cost you an extra 100-125 us dollars. Go out and buy another DC power adapter (should be able to find one for dirt cheap). Get another usb cable (again, dirt cheap) and keep one set of cables by ur wii and one set by ur PC, so all you gotta do is unplug ur HDD and move it. Uber simple, uber cheap.

superbob

Trophies
XP
Country
France
moparisthebest said:
A better solution would be a loader (neogamma, softchip, gecko os, etc) that would load a game from a SMB share over the network. Has that ever been tried before?
1) It would need a new "kind" of IOS functions that can correctly understand the SMB/CIFS stack.
2) It would be limited by the speed of the connection (WiFi for almost everyone, ethernet just for a few people).

So first point means that it would be complicated and it would need someone who would invest himself in it for a lot of time (would you be ready to do that ?)
Second means the when code is done, it may not run at all because of the network latency. Actually you can see bugs because of 3x speed limit of DVD+/-R, so I think it may be horrible through a WiFi network.

So, the idea is not bad, but it seems unlikely.

moparisthebest

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
superbob said:
moparisthebest said:
1) It would need a new "kind" of IOS functions that can correctly understand the SMB/CIFS stack.
2) It would be limited by the speed of the connection (WiFi for almost everyone, ethernet just for a few people).

So first point means that it would be complicated and it would need someone who would invest himself in it for a lot of time (would you be ready to do that ?)
Second means the when code is done, it may not run at all because of the network latency. Actually you can see bugs because of 3x speed limit of DVD+/-R, so I think it may be horrible through a WiFi network.

So, the idea is not bad, but it seems unlikely.

I was considering that the speed of 802.11g would be the limiting factor in such a system, it wouldn't be a problem with small games such as Wii Chess or maybe even Wii Sports, but games that use the entire disc, or even dual layer games probably wouldn't work at all. Unless we could rig up a USB>ethernet adapter that would be cheap and easy to build, ideally it could even operate at Gigabit (1000base-t) speeds (edit: of course that would be limited by the USB 2.0 speed).

It's interesting to think about anyway, but I'm more interested in working on various emulators on the wii at the moment.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    hunter x hunter
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    he has not allowed anyone to continue it for him for example
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, theres a dragon ball af mod for budokai 3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    updated ship of harkinian, gonna install some hd texture pack
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I might download rayman revolution for my ps3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I may try the new ram site, and download more RAM to my Switch. Not sure if ddr3 is the right ram
    for it tho. Edit- no it uses floppy Ram, just like @AncientBoi
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    aeiou
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And sometimes Z
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, MAGA supporters be wearing tin foil hats lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, whats maga?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It stands for Maniacs Against General Acceptance
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, people rejecting general consensus about stuff?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, nuh its really just Trump followers
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, im not american so i dont care about trump
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or us elections
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me niether, us north Koreans don't care
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i don't care either, even if i'm american
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    truth be told, i agree with psi, i dislike both candidates, but i'd probably vote trump simply because the economy was better during his presidency
  • AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon:
    Just be careful, if trump ends up winning and using project 2025 America might really change...for the worse.
    I'm not american and even that sends shivers down my spine.
    anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator
    is bad in my book, i could care less if it wasn't for that...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Canada: America's Russia
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious
    NinStar @ NinStar: people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious