Hacking Unable to enable wireless communication

NyxNyx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey, hey! I run Luma3DS and just updated it to 10.1.3 on my New3DS (Which runs on 11.13.0-45) and after a while of not using it at all I decided to play with it again. The problem is: The 3DS has problems connecting to Wi-Fi, throwing out the Error 003-0299, which states that "Wireless communication is currently disabled."

Now the issue is: Wireless communication is enabled and no matter what I try (restarting it from the Home menu, restarting it with Rosalina, restarting the 3DS) I can't get it to connect, not even when forcing a connection with Rosalina.

Anyone able to help me out?

NyxNyx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Does removing and adding back the battery turns on the WiFi?
Nope, still just as broke as before.

Dunno if it'll help, but I think my 3DS also has problems recognizing when I uh 'open' it back up after putting it into standby, as the screens keep being black.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope, still just as broke as before.

Dunno if it'll help, but I think my 3DS also has problems recognizing when I uh 'open' it back up after putting it into standby, as the screens keep being black.
Yikes. I don't know or don't believe this issue is software based in nature.

I call upon the Grand Master of 3DS Hardware related stuff, @Sono.

Reactions: Alexander1970

NyxNyx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

I'm not too sure about it being hardware related.

I tried setting up the internet connection on my 3DS again and it is able to find the access point. It for some reason just can't connect to it.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not too sure about it being hardware related.

I tried setting up the internet connection on my 3DS again and it is able to find the access point. It for some reason just can't connect to it.
:unsure:

Because your n3DS exhibits really strange behavior with the WiFi that's not heard of here or across r/3DS, r/3dshacks, Nintendo Homebrew discord, I'm not sure if it's a software issue like a frakenfirm from a failed system update. Would like more insight in what this could be before providing troubleshooting suggestions.

Here's my speculation with no previous experience or past incidents to back up this statement, but I'm curious if the reason your n3DS is acting the way it is is due to the WiFi antenna cable.

Not sure how 3DS systems react with that cable disconnected or broken. On the n3DSXL and n3DS, the WiFi cable does route along the hinge. That's a known bend stress area prone to breaking the ribbon flex cables of the upper lcd, cameras, and speakers.

Reactions: Alexander1970

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
:unsure:

Because your n3DS exhibits really strange behavior with the WiFi that's not heard of here or across r/3DS, r/3dshacks, Nintendo Homebrew discord, I'm not sure if it's a software issue like a frakenfirm from a failed system update. Would like more insight in what this could be before providing troubleshooting suggestions.

Here's my speculation with no previous experience or past incidents to back up this statement, but I'm curious if the reason your n3DS is acting the way it is is due to the WiFi antenna cable.

Not sure how 3DS systems react with that cable disconnected or broken. On the n3DSXL and n3DS, the WiFi cable does route along the hinge. That's a known bend stress area prone to breaking the ribbon flex cables of the upper lcd, cameras, and speakers.
From my experience on older DSes when the wireless antenna is disconnected the wireless signals will just be much weaker and have very low range or not work at all, there is nothing special about that antenna
I'd try reconnecting the wireless card and cleaning it's contacts

NyxNyx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
From my experience on older DSes when the wireless antenna is disconnected the wireless signals will just be much weaker and have very low range or not work at all, there is nothing special about that antenna
I'd try reconnecting the wireless card and cleaning it's contacts

Currently attempting that, new problem: One of the 2.3mm screws has a stripped head and is being really uncooperative :v

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Currently attempting that, new problem: One of the 2.3mm screws has a stripped head and is being really uncooperative :v
The New 3DS has the WiFi baked onto the motherboard, so the unseating and reseating trick that works on the o3DS, o3DSXL, and o2DS doesn't apply here.

It would be a bad idea to jump straight into disassembling the 3DS. If this were a software problem, 20/20 hindsight taking it apart and possibly damaging components.

The idea of removing a broken WiFi cable is very risky. Opening the upper half tends to break those other cables. You might get away with unplugging the cable where it connects to the motherboard.

To rule out if this is software issue, try repairing the 3DS firmware + custom firmware with CTRTransfer (Type D9) - CTRTransfer. Carefully read and follow the Instructions.

Just keep in mind the CTRTransfer (Type D9) won't work if the issue is indeed hardware related.

NyxNyx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The New 3DS has the WiFi baked onto the motherboard, so the unseating and reseating trick that works on the o3DS, o3DSXL, and o2DS doesn't apply here.

It would be a bad idea to jump straight into disassembling the 3DS. If this were a software problem, 20/20 hindsight taking it apart and possibly damaging components.

The idea of removing a broken WiFi cable is very risky. Opening the upper half tends to break those other cables. You might get away with unplugging the cable where it connects to the motherboard.

To rule out if this is software issue, try repairing the 3DS firmware + custom firmware with CTRTransfer (Type D9) - CTRTransfer. Carefully read and follow the Instructions.

Just keep in mind the CTRTransfer (Type D9) won't work if the issue is indeed hardware related.

Alrighty, I did everything according to the instructions. Unfortunately it still isn't working, still throwing out the same error.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alrighty, I did everything according to the instructions. Unfortunately it still isn't working, still throwing out the same error.
Hey, wait a minute. After downgrading the 3DS firmware to 11.5.0-38E from the CTRTransfer (Type D9), was your n3DS able to system update back to 11.13.0-45E?

I think I misinterpreted reading your replies. When you did any of these following,
  • HOME MenuHOME Menu DesignWireless Communication / NFCON
  • Press the { (L)-shoulder + (DOWN) d-pad + (SELECT) } button combo → Rosalina menuSystem configuration...Toggle Wireless
  • Remove and add back the battery
, did the wireless light indicator (yellow LED) found at the BOTTOM-RIGHT corner turned on and stayed on?

The blue WiFi icon with the three bars on the TOP-LEFT corner of the upper LCD screen might disappear due to bad connection settings with the wireless router.
See if the n3DS can visit Nintendo eShop or surf on the Internet Browser from a different internet source. Try public WiFi's. Be safe; remember to wear a mask and practice social distancing.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

NyxNyx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey, wait a minute. After downgrading the 3DS firmware to 11.5.0-38E from the CTRTransfer (Type D9), was your n3DS able to system update back to 11.13.0-45E?

I think I misinterpreted reading your replies. When you did any of these following,
  • HOME MenuHOME Menu DesignWireless Communication / NFCON
  • Press the { (L)-shoulder + (DOWN) d-pad + (SELECT) } button combo → Rosalina menuSystem configuration...Toggle Wireless
  • Remove and add back the battery
, did the wireless light indicator (yellow LED) found at the BOTTOM-RIGHT corner turned on and stayed on?

The blue WiFi icon with the three bars on the TOP-LEFT corner of the upper LCD screen might disappear due to bad connection settings with the wireless router.
See if the n3DS can visit Nintendo eShop or surf on the Internet Browser from a different internet source. Try public WiFi's. Be safe; remember to wear a mask and practice social distancing.

Wasn't able to update obviously, sorry should've mentioned that. And yeah, the yellow LED was on and stayed on. The wifi indicator in the home menu showed it being enabled as well, though greyed out since it wasn't able to connect with anything.

Will test different internet ASAP and report back once I have

Last edited by NyxNyx,

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary

Sorry for the late reply, the notification got buried when I was busy.

In my experience if it were a hardware problem then Home Menu would keep freezing on certain actions, and wouldn't show the top bar.

I'd check if the WiFi LED is on, and if it's on then if it flashed any at all.
If it has flashed then I genuinely have no idea, as 003-299 indeed means that wireless comms is disallowed, so no wireless comms should've been attempted.

If the WiFi led just turned on normally without a flash, then I think it's either a Home Menu problem or a WiFi configuration problem. I'd check the config savegame, perhaps even HWCAL for the default settings. An "easy" but painful check is to delete all WiFi slot settings, and re-add them.

If the WiFi LED doesn't turn on then I also have no idea, because Home Menu should be freezing when the WiFi has problems.

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

jimmypython

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry for the bump. I now have the exact same problem. 003-0299 error with Luma3DS system. The WIFI LED is on but no connection at all. It can still search for my WIFI signal but won't connect because "the wifi communication is currently off".

has there been a fix since?

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Sorry for the bump. I now have the exact same problem. 003-0299 error with Luma3DS system. The WIFI LED is on but no connection at all. It can still search for my WIFI signal but won't connect because "the wifi communication is currently off".

has there been a fix since?

Turn off WiFi, wait like 5-10seconds, then turn it back on. Does it start flickering after it fades in? If yes, how many times it flickers? No need for exact number, just an approximate.

jimmypython

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Turn off WiFi, wait like 5-10seconds, then turn it back on. Does it start flickering after it fades in? If yes, how many times it flickers? No need for exact number, just an approximate.

Thanks for replying. Yeah the light flickers. I counted 5-6 times. However, once it fails to connect (when I tried to manual connect) it would stop flickering.

Also, the sleep/wake (close the lid and open) would not work unless you open it right away, in such case, streepass icon would show for a sec.

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Thanks for replying. Yeah the light flickers. I counted 5-6 times. However, once it fails to connect (when I tried to manual connect) it would stop flickering.

Also, the sleep/wake (close the lid and open) would not work unless you open it right away, in such case, streepass icon would show for a sec.

Now THAT is new to me. It either does a flicker pattern (that 5-6 blinks) TWICE (which means some other error, if there is even an error), or it flickers NO times (which indicates lost connection between the WiFi card).

As for the sleep issue, that definitely sounds like something related to the WiFi.

Which 3DS modell? If it's original old3DS then try re-seating it gently. If it's any other with a soldered WiFi card, then I'm sorry.

Reactions: CoolMe

jimmypython

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Now THAT is new to me. It either does a flicker pattern (that 5-6 blinks) TWICE (which means some other error, if there is even an error), or it flickers NO times (which indicates lost connection between the WiFi card).

As for the sleep issue, that definitely sounds like something related to the WiFi.

Which 3DS modell? If it's original old3DS then try re-seating it gently. If it's any other with a soldered WiFi card, then I'm sorry.

It might be the wifi card....sadly mine is a new 3ds xl.

I wonder if my 3DS is banned, as I forgot to turn off spot pass and went online to buy some dlc.......

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
It might be the wifi card....sadly mine is a new 3ds xl.

I wonder if my 3DS is banned, as I forgot to turn off spot pass and went online to buy some dlc.......

Banning can't brick WiFi.

But yeah, it does sound like an issue between the CPU and the WiFi card.

On Home Menu, is the top bar visible, with the current time and stuff? If yes, what does the WiFi status say? "Enabled" on white background?

jimmypython

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Banning can't brick WiFi.

But yeah, it does sound like an issue between the CPU and the WiFi card.

On Home Menu, is the top bar visible, with the current time and stuff? If yes, what does the WiFi status say? "Enabled" on white background?

yes the top bar is visible. the wifi says "enabled" just no signal...lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/wZgjSNb-o4c?si=ajt4Lgq_LTYcXxs2 +1