uTorrent- hogging bandwidth all of a sudden?

Danny Tanner

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Okay guys, here's the deal. My internet is decently fast most of the time, and, in the past it was the same whether uTorrent is running or not. But now, uTorrent seems to be draining bandwidth like crazy. Obviously, if the program is downloading/uploading it is using some of my available bandwidth, but this is ridiculous. For instance, On decent file-hosting servers, I get download speeds of ~300 kb/s. Now, even if uTorrent's total ul/dl speed is 40-50kb/s and is running the speed I get online is ~4kb/s. And loading a webpage? Forget it, even loading GBAtemp takes over a minute when uTorrent is running now.

I'd assume it's something in the settings, since it was never like this before. Even when I'd get speeds of over 300kb/s it never slowed down the internet significantly. Any suggestions?

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
The same is happening to me with BitTorrent.
I would like to know this too
unsure.gif

Edit: There is a bandwidth option when you right click on the file you are downloading.
I'm not sure if it does anything, but I'm not downloading right now so I can't try.

Danny Tanner

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Prowler485 said:
Edit: There is a bandwidth option when you right click on the file you are downloading.
I'm not sure if it does anything, but I'm not downloading right now so I can't try.

Yeah, I tried that, and it does limit download or upload speeds, but it still hogs the bandwidth in the background. Even when I force the total speed down to 20kb/s the internet crawls.

Danny Tanner

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Twiffles said:
That's happened to me two times, but in the end it turns out my router was being stupid.
It is entirely possible that this is my problem. Verizon is a great cell provider but internet is comparatively lackluster, and I'd assume the router they provide is too.

QUOTE(Linkiboy @ Feb 14 2010, 12:29 PM) More upload speed used = slower your entire fucking internet is.

That is all.
So would you suggest limiting the upload speed? For the individual torrent or overall? I have mine set to automatic, so maybe it's just 'automatically' taking everything. Is it true that limiting upload speeds will also limit download speeds?

Don't think I'm lazy and not search, but seriously, every result I find is years old, and even the more recent ones vary wildly.

Twiffles

танковые победы
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Cause when it happened to me, I was already aware that upload kills speed so I had set it to 5kb/s.
So I thought it was because I was using wireless. I unplug my router, reset the cable modem, replugged the router, and all was fine.

Seriously thought my ISP was throttling my internet, but it didn't turn out to be that way. yeah

BiscuitBee

Semi-Resident Cookie-Bug
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Some quick tips that I've come across from experience:

1. Options > Preferences > Bandwidth > Global maximum number of connections
Set this lower and see if that helps. Try even 50. This was a major setback for me when I was using the original firmware on my linksys.

2. Turn down the upload speed. This also slows down your internet considerably. If your upload doesn't have enough speed to send a request to your DNS, then you'll find your internet going quite slow.

3. Use QoS if your router supports it. I'm using the tomato firmware and once you get QoS setup, you never have to worry about self-throttling your downloads. i.e. Team Fortress 2 data takes priority over Bittorrent.

DaMummy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
anything above 10kb/sec upload kills my bw as well, thats why i always limit it to 10 unless i dont need bw and want to reach a ratio, other then that, some internet and tv providers have been going wild about the whole winter olympic stuff and have been updating stuff left and right causing many problems for end user's bw

BiscuitBee

Semi-Resident Cookie-Bug
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
DaMummy said:
anything above 10kb/sec upload kills my bw as well, thats why i always limit it to 10 unless i dont need bw and want to reach a ratio, other then that, some internet and tv providers have been going wild about the whole winter olympic stuff and have been updating stuff left and right causing many problems for end user's bw
Sounds like you could benefit from uTorrent's scheduler
smile.gif

D

Deleted User

BiscuitBee said:

Set this lower and see if that helps. Try even 50. This was a major setback for me when I was using the original firmware on my linksys.

2. Turn down the upload speed. This also slows down your internet considerably. If your upload doesn't have enough speed to send a request to your DNS, then you'll find your internet going quite slow.
Yah. Too many connections make some routers crap out k? Upload speed affects game speed as well. Try a low setting like 10kb/s.

C

CasperH

flameiguana said:
BiscuitBee said:

Yah. Too many connections make some routers crap out k? Upload speed affects game speed as well. Try a low setting like 10kb/s.
But not lower then 6kb as uTorrent itself will cap you

kezza825

Trophies
XP
Country
Bixbite said:
Okay guys, here's the deal. My internet is decently fast most of the time, and, in the past it was the same whether uTorrent is running or not. But now, uTorrent seems to be draining bandwidth like crazy. Obviously, if the program is downloading/uploading it is using some of my available bandwidth, but this is ridiculous. For instance, On decent file-hosting servers, I get download speeds of ~300 kb/s. Now, even if uTorrent's total ul/dl speed is 40-50kb/s and is running the speed I get online is ~4kb/s. And loading a webpage? Forget it, even loading GBAtemp takes over a minute when uTorrent is running now.

I'd assume it's something in the settings, since it was never like this before. Even when I'd get speeds of over 300kb/s it never slowed down the internet significantly. Any suggestions?

The speed depends on how many Seeds/Leeches they are on the torrent, preferably you need more seeds than leeches but just get the best torrent you can find.
Oh and try typing Google list of uTorrent trackers see if that comes up with anything if it doesn't then email me and I'll email you a some trackers, by adding trackers click on the torrent what is downloading in uTorrent and click the tab below which says trackers, right click anywhere within the tab's details and select add trackers then paste trackers into there. I hope I've helped
biggrin.gif

Email: [email protected]
Name the subject of the email "uTorrent trackers list"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://wccftech-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/wccftech.com/amd-800-series-am5-motherboards-launch-r...