Hardware Vigil: Wii U hardware "on par with current generation"

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
No need to even read your link, sure 1080P referes to res, but guess what? You need something to umm show at that res.... using a 48X48 texture for some ones face on a 1080P display is going to look like dog crap when the face takes up half the screen right?

See textures DO make a difference ;)

I never questioned that more RAM would make existing 1080p look better. I'm referring to your statement that more RAM would allow 1080p in the first place. That was your original argument, was it not?

Nothing to keep the 360 or the PS3 from doing native 1080P it they had enough RAM

The ability to make 1080p look good is dependent on game asset quality, which is tied to both storage (RAM) and processing. The ability to render at 1080p is a GPU/fillrate problem, not storage.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The ability to make 1080p look good is dependent on game asset quality, which is tied to both storage (RAM) and processing. The ability to render at 1080p is a GPU/fillrate problem, not storage.

It was ironic that some one posted this link earlier in this thread, but I will post it now along with a small quote that should help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080p

"the PlayStation 3, developers must provide specific resolution support at the software level as there is no hardware upscaling support, whereas on the Xbox 360 games can be upscaled using a built in hardware scaler chip. Most games on both consoles however do not run at a native 1080p resolution and only a select few allow this option due to other constraints (such as graphical memory),"

Well at least some people understand that they can run 1080P but most games do not, due to lack of RAM.

Edit: rotflmao after reading back, it was YOU who posted that link.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I'll admit that RAM is part of the problem when you take into account for things like anti-aliasing via supersampling, which while is an effect to make the final image look better, it requires a frame buffer in VRAM much larger than the final downsampled version. But, RAM is not the only problem as I made mention earlier about the GPU being the bigger factor, and supersampling demonstrates that. Rendering complex scenes, even at sub-HD resolutions, requires a lot of computing time because of the number of polygons/pixels that would have to be processed. Up the resolution, including a case such as supersampling, and that increases the strain on the GPU to the point of it not being able to fulfill requests in a timely manner. Unless they are able to process a frame at a specific resolution within a given time frame, an increase in RAM will not help at all as the GPU continues to be the bottleneck in the grand scheme of things.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon: anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator is bad in my book, i...