Gaming Voxatron - Pixel shooter

cosmiccow

Original Hippie
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
How come nobody mentioned this game here yet? OK, it may be far from release yet, but it sure looks awesome.

[youtube]_q-xqI8Cm5A[/youtube]

QUOTE said:
Voxatron is an arena shooter that takes place in a world made of voxels (little cubes, kind of). Everything in the game is displayed in a virtual 128x128x64 voxel display, including the menus and player inventory. If you look closely, you can sometimes see the inventory (score/life/ammo) casting a shadow on some of the objects on the ground.

I've been working on voxel rendering and modeling tools for a long time now, with the ultimate goal of making a large explorey adventure game. About half a year ago it fused with work I was doing on arena shooters for Conflux, and this is the result.

It's quite a simple game at heart -- mostly just Robotron set in a 3d destructible world with goofy creatures. I'm unsure how major the implications of destructibility will be for gameplay, but it sure is fun to blast away pieces of wall. I've also added an experimental wall-building pickup you can use to construct barriers to hide from scary monsters.

The game takes place in a small set of arenas. Some of them feature rooms with set action pieces, somewhere between Knightlore and Smash TV. This is some of the original adventure based design sneaking back in, and an excuse to create thematic environments.

Features:
- Custom software rendering with soft shadows.
- Built-in sound and music synthesizer (also used to make the trailer music).
- Playback & post game recording.

Voxatron will be ready later this year, but I'll create a single-arena preview version too.

It's exactly what is missing in Minecraft.
moogle.gif

source

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, a 3D version of Robotron with platforming elements. Nice! I'll have to keep an eye out for this one.

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Wow this looks pretty nuts.

Love the graphical approach taken- simplistic (in a way), but still effective with loads of potential.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/Os7f9Se.mp4