Hacking Wasabi!!! Greatest thing since sliced bread?

arsehat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
OzModChips said:
Its a good idea, but if it was that good don't you think d2ckey/d2pro would have made one? I asked they why not, and they said a proper solution for a clip would cost 100 USD +. These e-cheapo ones will be no good.

I've had a good look at photos of the Spanish ones, and yeah, they look like crap and I'm not surprised they didn't work too well. Especially the cut-legs version, that always seemed more hopeful than practical to me.

I've now had a good look at the photos of the Wii Clips, and yeah, they're obviously not mil-spec, but I think they're probably a lot better than the spanish ones. I think there's probably going to be enough tension in those contacts for them to work reliably, so long as they don't pop off the chip itself. But can't see how, apart from spring tension, that thing's kept on the chip.

Seems I was wrong about how long it'd take, though - someone's already taking orders for D2CKeys with these things attached to them, according to Google.

Weren't there a few solderless PS2 modchips? What was reliability like on those, and how did they connect?

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There was one solderless ps2 modchip. The dms EZI , it clipped over the chips on the ps2 board. It was shit , unreliable and had a tendency to kill ps2s and to top it off , the damn thing was so expensive you may aswell of paid someone to fit a proper chip.

Clips never work , didn't work on the ps2 , didn't work on the ps1 (first internal vcd players had a clip) and won't work for this.

CZroe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ModchipCentral said:
We at www.ModchipCentral.com are getting our shipment on Monday. So if you are from USA / Canada, order away as I'm sure we will sell out quick
smile.gif
I see that you sell pre-modded "new" drives that would leave behind new Wiis without drives. It only makes sense to accept a used drive to sell with the new Wii's that those came from (also pre-modded), but the description appears to advocate selling them elsewhere. Can I assume that you are buying used drives to sell with those Wiis? I'm wondering how much it would be to sell you a used D2C for a pre-modded D2C or how much an unmodded used but fully functional D2C drive typically goes for on the market. Yes, I know this is dynamic and changing (the Wasabi will certainly change the value of a D2C drive!), but even just a snapshot from this point in time would be useful.

ahtin

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
pianko said:
We are based in Taiwan.

We also have stock of wasabi now.

We are welcome people living in Asia to buy from us.

Please visit www.pianko.net (Chinese Blog)

If you would like to order Argon, D2pro, Wasabi, you can also write mail to me

[email protected]

cool.gif

may I have a sample
rolleyes.gif

Defiance

oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...And as as soon as they come out with a quick-solder method for D2C boards Nintendo is going to release an even more complicated chipset...

Man I wanna mod my Gamecube but no one has any freaking Xeno GC's in stock! (Going off-topic, sorry.)

bubbleboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mark my words.. within 6 months there will be a reliable, solderless clip-on chip for the Wii.

Too bad for the modders, soldering a few wires will be obsolete and so will they.

pianko

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
ahtin said:
pianko said:
We are based in Taiwan.

We also have stock of wasabi now.

We are welcome people living in Asia to buy from us.

Please visit www.pianko.net (Chinese Blog)

If you would like to order Argon, D2pro, Wasabi, you can also write mail to me

[email protected]

cool.gif

may I have a sample
rolleyes.gif

Sure, please mail me since I don't know your email.

Hansel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Got my Wasabi installed today (thanks Ozmodchips
biggrin.gif
). Works great, although I did get a bit of a crash whilst browsing the Mii Parade. We'll see what happens with that.

jeklnoo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That's why i'm still waiting to mod my D2C wii...previous modchips were too hard to install. the new argon & wasabi chips w/ their lower wire counts look good, but i'm gonna wait another month or two to see how they work in the long run.

rejin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im thinking about getting this but i have never mod anything be4 so i think i would wait for feedback and ask around if ppl think its easy

tsutsutsu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the main argument regarding wasabi vs argon/infectus, is that the argon will be able to update using the jtag. they say if something drastic changes, they'll be able to completely remake the firmware from scratch, instead of making you buy a new chip.

does this feature hold any water? does wasabi have anything like the "100% future proof" argon?

...or maybe i'm following the infectus propaganda wagon a bit much...

mikesnickname

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
tsutsutsu said:
the main argument regarding wasabi vs argon/infectus, is that the argon will be able to update using the jtag. they say if something drastic changes, they'll be able to completely remake the firmware from scratch, instead of making you buy a new chip.

does this feature hold any water? does wasabi have anything like the "100% future proof" argon?

...or maybe i'm following the infectus propaganda wagon a bit much...

From what I understand, the wasabi chip is not as verstitle as the agron with its jtag. So as per future proofing, I dont think anyone would argue that hardware wise, the argon is probably a better bet. It is also likely that the argon and dcpro are more stealthy as their firmware cannot be directly read from the dvd drive, whereas the wasabi can be (which is a trade-off because it is more convenient for updating).

Someone let me know if i'm completely off.

mike.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon: anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator is bad in my book, i...