PS1/2 Why do some PSX discs have trouble being read, while looking flawless (no scratches, etc)?

duskfall

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
So I got a few squaresoft PS1 RPGs to better study Japanese. This quite baffling thing happened to BOTH games.
The first disc (these are multi disc games) will either not be read, OR will not play properly (it will be slowed down, music, CG cutscenes, everything will be a little slower).
While the physical disc itself is a black label one and is in (at least visually) impeccable condition.
Why is this happening? I'm not looking for a solution as I've already found one (try another disc), just curious if anyone has a better guess on why this is happening. And it's always on the first disc that this happens.
My two guesses:
1) Some kind of elaborate anti-region unlocking prevention measure by Sony (but then why would disc 2 play?)
2) They used the first disc so much that it somehow got ruined but not in a way that is visually seen.
For the sake of sharing information, the two games that I've had this issue with are FFVII and FFVIII (Japanese titles). FFVII disc one would not be read, and FFVIII disc 1 would play, but everything in the game would be slowed down (lol)

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I got a few squaresoft PS1 RPGs to better study Japanese. This quite baffling thing happened to BOTH games.
The first disc (these are multi disc games) will either not be read, OR will not play properly (it will be slowed down, music, CG cutscenes, everything will be a little slower).
While the physical disc itself is a black label one and is in (at least visually) impeccable condition.
Why is this happening? I'm not looking for a solution as I've already found one (try another disc), just curious if anyone has a better guess on why this is happening. And it's always on the first disc that this happens.
My two guesses:
1) Some kind of elaborate anti-region unlocking prevention measure by Sony (but then why would disc 2 play?)
2) They used the first disc so much that it somehow got ruined but not in a way that is visually seen.
For the sake of sharing information, the two games that I've had this issue with are FFVII and FFVIII (Japanese titles). FFVII disc one would not be read, and FFVIII disc 1 would play, but everything in the game would be slowed down (lol)
Well first of all I suggest ripping all of your discs in case they fail as by this point they have likely started to show minor signs. But past that I suggest cleaning the laser on the system. Also different games read the discs in different ways so some games are slower than others.

Reactions: SylverReZ

duskfall

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I looked for disc rot and found none. Maybe this disc got scratched a lot and got rebuffed. I bought these used from amazon .

SylverReZ

GBATemp's Meme Lord
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well first of all I suggest ripping all of your discs in case they fail as by this point they have likely started to show minor signs. But past that I suggest cleaning the laser on the system. Also different games read the discs in different ways so some games are slower than others.
Easy way to tell that they are starting to deteriorate, is by shining a bright light on the disc. If you see any mold growing or holes, then that's one way.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, kind of like megaman or contra
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its too simple what i have done
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You using the Smart camera extention, its nice, centers you on screen but with little lag so feels better than just Center player on screen. You can add/ subject lag amount also.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i dont use it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i use the "center camera in object" action
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i cant find that smart camera extension
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sorry, its called Smooth Camera
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa we should have a meeting with other forum memebers and take shrooms
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    i think you would be a great trip guider
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh, I'd wonder off somewhere probably
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My wifey made some Sun tea yesterday, and cut up some peaches in let sit in there w the teabags, shit is Da bomb. Bout to try it with some peach vodka..
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa sounds wish we could see Randy on south park do that , drinking the peach vodka
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, im more of a casual south park fan, i dont watch it that often
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its gluten free
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    lol it's too offensive
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh not that good, not many alcohols taste good in tea. At least I haven't found any.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I tried that peach alcohol in cans tasted like crap
  • F @ foresthag:
    You could fermen(tea). That'd taste excellent. Or make you go blind, who is to say?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Twisted tea iirc
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Only one I liked was that mikes hard lemonade tea, but i couldn't drink it all day
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, gonna make a jumping sprite
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can add platform character behavior to any sprite, just disable the default controls for it, and make it jump/move in your code. The rectangle behavior is cool too for enemies.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, how is it cool?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, and i meant jumping sprite for the player
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It makes it move around constantly in different directions, like a enemy moving back n forth from one side to other
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: It makes it move around constantly in different directions, like a enemy moving back n forth...