suppachipmunk

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hey Raiser,

I dont personally own a Wii, but both my roommates do.
There isn't going to be a day and night difference in quality in my book, but the colors are sharper and the text more readable.
I would say get a decent component cable just for those two reasons alone.
Both have component cables hooked up to theirs and have no complaints.

Hope this helps,
suppachipmunk

LufianGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a huge difference and you go should go component.

You will only probably notice the difference on BIG flatscreen tvs though, not standard.

The first system I ever tried component on was wii and I finally understand why people pay money for the better quality hookups. I will always try to get the best quality hookups on everything from now on.

Everything is clearer (less blurry), sharper, more vivid, and brighter than it was on composite.

Plus I got a 4-in-1 cable cheap here:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product....=1&format=2

If you just want a cable for wii, get this:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product....=1&format=2

The cable has worked perfectly since I got it two years ago with no problems. I love monoprice.

After the change to component I even started to notice details/things on screens or in games I did not notice before.

ApolloCheese

the shy guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
i have a wii and i use a nintendo component cable on my lcd tv. i think its a big difference between the two cables cause the colours are much better and it is 480p. be sure to switch to 480p (edtv) in the options! if you own a lcd tv you should get a component cable!!!

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I only have a 23" LCD TV monitor in my room, but since I can only be so far back from it, I can see the.. "imperfections" (blurred / slightly jagged edges) and such on games like Brawl.

I know the Wii has no anti-aliasing, correct?
Would component cables "hide" this better or anything of the sort?

EDIT: Wow fast replies.
ohnoes.png

@ ApolloCheese: Aren't component 480i? Whilst composite is 480p?

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Simply put, by hooking component cables, the Wii will enable 480p output.
Without it, depending on your TV, the image might be slightly inferior or downright horrible ( on my LCD TV composite and 480i look jut awful ).
Even 480p is not that great compared to 720p or 1080p ( xbox360/ps3 ) so I would say stay away from composite cables, the quality is just unacceptable.

suppachipmunk

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think that may be the reason I never noticed a huge difference on their tvs. both have an hdtv, but its kind of like a DLP. 1080i tv with the big back. I personally have an LCD HDTV.
That makes sense as to why I didnt see a vast improvement.

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
hey_suburbia said:
I did some side-by-side comparisons in 2006 when the first Wii Component cables came out:
http://www.wiinintendo.net/2006/11/27/wii-...dled-av-cables/
Thanks for this!

But I'm guessing... that with component, the colors will be more vivid, but the jagged lines more visible?
And with composite, jagged lines less visible but resulting in slightly more blurred colors and clarity?

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Raiser said:
But I'm guessing... that with component, the colors will be more vivid, but the jagged lines more visible?
And with composite, jagged lines less visible but resulting in slightly more blurred colors and clarity?
I would say that's how it is. The component will give you a cleaner image but it show the flaws and often may look 'harsh'. The composite looks soft and sometimes muddy, but will often mask the flaws.

Either way, you will loose. I remember using a RGB scart cable with a Megadrive years back and while graphics were nice and clear, I was shocked how poor they actually were.

Unless you want online play, i'd use Dolphin instead.

DunkrWunkah

GBAtemp's Official Dunkr
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Component makes the colors a lot more vivid and increases the sharpness. This is if you have a 30' tv or bigger though. I went to the Nintendo World Store, and I wondered why they weren't using Component for their Wii booths.

luminalace

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes the Wii has anti aliasing...pretty much every console from the N64 onwards did but there are different types of AA! Not sure which one the Wii supports!

I had a CRT with component inputs and now own an LCD TV and in both cases component cables are far superior...although I do have one mate who actually prefers the AV cables because he think the inperfections of the Wii are more noticeable on his 1080P TV.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...