iamwhoiam

Honorary R4 Fanboy
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'll be heading to HK later this summer, and I'm thinking of getting a Wii from there for cheap (and also a wiikey and accessories).

However, I have a few questions... Some of them are probably already answered here, but since I have so many I don't want to be trawling through:

a) What Wii region is HK? (I know HK is a PAL TV region, but I'm not too sure on the console)
b) Will PAL games from EU work on the imported console?
c) Will PAL backup games from EU work on the imported console with Wiikey?
d) Will acccessories I buy from HK work on EU consoles, or EU accessories work on HK consoles?
e) Will accessing only gameplay make me connect to asian servers, or EU servers?

Any other tips for importing a HK console to UK?

moribund112

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Switzerland
You're in luck as in a lot of cases HK uses the same voltage as you guys in the UK. Meaning the plugs will be the same shape, 220-240V etc.

The region is NTSC-J. That means your PAL games aren't going to work unfortunately.

Backups will work in some cases, depending on whatever chip you're using. But you might have better lucky with NTSC-U and NTSC-J backups.

Accessories will work without issue.
I think if you're connecting online in the EU, you'll probably work on EU servers. I think it's based off of your IP, not the region of the console.

Watch out for tricksters in HK. Granted, it's a gaming mecca, but there's a lot of shady people there that will sell you second-hand Wii machines for the new price. Also, take care to make sure the Wii console serial numbers match up.

If installing a modchip, test the console out at the shop before making any payment. If it breaks down that night, forget about getting your money back as they simply won't "remember" you ever buying anything from them.

iamwhoiam

Honorary R4 Fanboy
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You're in luck as in a lot of cases HK uses the same voltage as you guys in the UK. Meaning the plugs will be the same shape, 220-240V etc.
Wii is not being officially sold in HK so you're going to need a transformer.

So there is no asian region? There is only NTSC-J console?

I take it that these consoles sold in HK are Japanese Nintendo Wiis then? If so, that means I will need a transformer, 240v to 110v

If I get a Wiikey: then does that mean I can play any NTSC region game on any NTSC region console (i.e. NTSC-US on NTSC-J and vice versa?)

I will be buying the console and wiikey seperately, and then modding it when I'm back in the UK

RobertsD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I remember, most(if not basically all) NTSC-U games work on the NTSC-J consoles. I'm not sure whether the J consoles are the same as the U consoles when it comes to playing PAL games, but if so, that means that about 70% of PAL games should work.

NoNameFace

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
So there is no asian region? There is only NTSC-J console?

I take it that these consoles sold in HK are Japanese Nintendo Wiis then? If so, that means I will need a transformer, 240v to 110v

If I get a Wiikey: then does that mean I can play any NTSC region game on any NTSC region console (i.e. NTSC-US on NTSC-J and vice versa?)

Yes, these consoles sold in HK are same as Japanese Wiis so you will definitely need a transformer.

If you have a PAL Wii, you might wanna take a look at the detail of Wii's ac adapter because it might be
passible that you could plug the ac adapter of your PAL Wii directly into your Japanese Wii.
This applies to Gamecube so I assume that it might happen to Wii as well.

I don't have Wiikey install in my Wii but I did hear that some NTSC-US games are not compatible with Japanese Wii,
such as Cooking Mama, Rayman Raving Rabbids and Spiderman 3 etc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV8dBxGdNxk