Hacking Wii SD card menu without system menu update?

Trace_hunter

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm currently using system menu 3.2E (no idea why, could have sworn it used to be 4.2) and I'd like to use the SD card menu feature which I think was included in 4.0 but I might be wrong so as I don't have to uninstall and reinstall VC games. Is there anyway to get the menu without updating to whichever version it was included in?

The last thing I want is a brick or for something to stop working which is why I'm reluctant to upgrade

Trace_hunter

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
JoostinOnline said:
Trace_hunter said:
ddetkowski said:
update with Modmii
kinda asking if there was any other way...
There isn't one. You need to update to 4.1. It is also in 4.0, but 4.1 has the latest features and bugfixes.

Does it run games that aren't from the shop channel? I heard there was a problem with that.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Trace_hunter said:
JoostinOnline said:
Trace_hunter said:
ddetkowski said:
update with Modmii
There isn't one. You need to update to 4.1. It is also in 4.0, but 4.1 has the latest features and bugfixes.

Does it run games that aren't from the shop channel? I heard there was a problem with that.
Only if you did an official update. ModMii will patch your System Menu IOS so it won't be a problem.

Trace_hunter

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
JoostinOnline said:
Trace_hunter said:
JoostinOnline said:
Trace_hunter said:
ddetkowski said:
update with Modmii

Only if you did an official update. ModMii will patch your System Menu IOS so it won't be a problem.

ok so how practical would it be to update the system menu with modmii, what's the best version to go to that won't brick my wii or screw up the homebrew channel or neogamma

Trace_hunter

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
JoostinOnline said:
Trace_hunter said:
ok so how practical would it be to update the system menu with modmii, what's the best version to go to that won't brick my wii or screw up the homebrew channel or neogamma
4.1. Everything above that will only have negative affects.
OK thanks, just regarding mighty channels, if I installed that, why would I need sneek and I'm guessing that would mean I wouldn't have to updae (I don't actually understand what sneek does btw)

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
JoostinOnline said:
Trace_hunter said:
It does?
unsure.gif

Wait a second...Trace_hunter is talking just about the system menu here...not the entire firmware. Just installing the system menu with modmii is just a matter of selecting it, downloading it as a .wad file and using a wad manager to install it. Issues with the homebrew channel or cIOS249 (which affect neogamma) only happen if you update the firmware the official way. So if you're getting a new system menu...why not go for the latest?

An important warning with this: you DO need to have the correct IOS installed in advance to go with the system menu, or your wii will brick. I'm 99% sure that modmii also mentions this warning if you attempt to just download a system menu wad, but it deserves to be repeated.

system menu 4.1 -> IOS 60 needed (v6174...NOT v6400)
system menu 4.2 -> IOS 70 needed (v6687...NOT v6912)
system menu 4.3 -> IOS 80 needed (v6943 or v6944...at the moment, these are the latest versions)

source: wiibrew (check the links at the bottom there for more specific info)

@Trace_hunter: mighty channels is a way to run wiiware/VC in an emulated environment. Those games are installed and run on either SD card or USB drive. While installation is a bit more tricky, the end result is not that different from snes-gx or vba-gx.
Sneek is the more advanced version: it is a way to emulate your entire wii on your sd card or usb drive (the latter is called uneek, but 'sneek' is the more common name). Reading writing, installing, savegames...everything is done on the emulated drive. The internal hard drive of the wii isn't used for anything. While this has the advantage that it is literally as safe as you can get (you CANNOT brick your wii on sneek even if you wanted to. At best, you brick your emulated nand...in which case you just remove a few folders on your SD card or USB drive) and also has 100% compatibility with VC/wiiware (mighty channels has about 95%), it is rather hard to set up and maintain. If you just want to run wiiware or VC from SD card or USB drive, then mighty channels is the way to go.

Trace_hunter

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Wever said:
JoostinOnline said:
Trace_hunter said:
It does?
unsure.gif

Wait a second...Trace_hunter is talking just about the system menu here...not the entire firmware. Just installing the system menu with modmii is just a matter of selecting it, downloading it as a .wad file and using a wad manager to install it. Issues with the homebrew channel or cIOS249 (which affect neogamma) only happen if you update the firmware the official way. So if you're getting a new system menu...why not go for the latest?

An important warning with this: you DO need to have the correct IOS installed in advance to go with the system menu, or your wii will brick. I'm 99% sure that modmii also mentions this warning if you attempt to just download a system menu wad, but it deserves to be repeated.

system menu 4.1 -> IOS 60 needed (v6174...NOT v6400)
system menu 4.2 -> IOS 70 needed (v6687...NOT v6912)
system menu 4.3 -> IOS 80 needed (v6943 or v6944...at the moment, these are the latest versions)

source: wiibrew (check the links at the bottom there for more specific info)

@Trace_hunter: mighty channels is a way to run wiiware/VC in an emulated environment. Those games are installed and run on either SD card or USB drive. While installation is a bit more tricky, the end result is not that different from snes-gx or vba-gx.
Sneek is the more advanced version: it is a way to emulate your entire wii on your sd card or usb drive (the latter is called uneek, but 'sneek' is the more common name). Reading writing, installing, savegames...everything is done on the emulated drive. The internal hard drive of the wii isn't used for anything. While this has the advantage that it is literally as safe as you can get (you CANNOT brick your wii on sneek even if you wanted to. At best, you brick your emulated nand...in which case you just remove a few folders on your SD card or USB drive) and also has 100% compatibility with VC/wiiware (mighty channels has about 95%), it is rather hard to set up and maintain. If you just want to run wiiware or VC from SD card or USB drive, then mighty channels is the way to go.

Thanks for that, just so you know I'm pretty sure Nintendo have taken measurements which prevent the homebrew channel and other stuff in later updates, even if you update with modmii.
Thanks for the explanation, I think I'll install Mighty Channels instead of updating or using sneek, seems easier.

Thanks again!

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's what I was going to say, just install the system menu ios for your 4.1E, then install the system menu 4.1E.

done!

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Wever said:
JoostinOnline said:
Trace_hunter said:
It does?
unsure.gif

I didn't say the negative affects were major, but they do exist. There are zero improvements in 4.2/4.3. I say why go for the latest when you know it will only add limitations?

Trace_hunter

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the info guys, I did all the nand dumping and installed mighty channels and a forwarder and everything is working!

Thanks again!

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Slimmmmmm said:
JoostinOnline said:

Can you explain what the negative effect with 4.2 is please.
With 4.2 I think everything has been worked around through Priiloader and updated apps, but it has more potential for bricks, and fewer brick recovery options. For example, if someone had a region changed Korean Wii, installing a non-stubbed IOS70 (not IOS60 in slot 70), they would get a bricked Wii. I don't feel like listing all of the possibilities, but I admit that they are quite unlikely to happen. I explained more of my reasons here.

Sure I'm a little paranoid, but I don't understand why everyone is so eager to update past 4.1 when they know it won't do them any good.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Stick with 4.2 if you can OP. Bannerbomb exploit let's you install HBC anytime.

Install priiloader (latest), install the latest IOS 58 with dop-mii, re install HBC so it uses IOS 58. Then install the latest IOS 61 70 80 NON STUB and you would be able to upgrade with no problems.

Stick with 4.2 & do update system menu through DOP-MII (it'll check if the proper system menu IOS are installed and ask you to get them from NUS) I've done it a lot of times.

Since you have 3.2 you might be those with lucky boot2 bug (bootmii @ boot2). This should allow you to boot stuff even without a system menu installed... o_o (the best anti-brick proof you'd get)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    No no continue, I hear these things women say so often I decided to start counting
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I tried that new Pepsi lime it just taste like pepsi
  • DTApple @ DTApple:
    With lime, right?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just pepsi lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's D-Days 80th anniversary today
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I drink the Coke with lime all the time, in my Spiced rum (Captain Morgans) I hate pepsi
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably better just to jizz a lime squeeze inside it
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    volvic > anything else
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My piss is water
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That looks like the router i just got from microcenter. Spectrum wanted to charge me $7 a month for a wifi router, so I said no thank you and just bought one, I paid like $65 tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Linksys?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea its Linksys, but not sure if same model, has 4 antennas
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    6gbps and two usb ports that supports ntfs is pretty solid dont care if it's reconditioned for $55
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just trying to figure out if it's vpn supported
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I could probably set it up like a nas device
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    TP your router
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Unless @Psionic Roshambo can convince me to spend $100 on a better option I'm probably going with it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Works great for me, all i need. Can go way back on edge of property and still get 3/5 bars. And it let me setup IP Vanish on it no problem.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google fibers router sucks keeps randomly blocking websites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does it say "Unexpected Database Error"?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Might as well 403
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I yell at my isp like listen if I get a virus that's on me stop trying to protect me
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I yell at my isp like listen if I get a virus that's on me stop trying to protect me +1