Wii-U NAND-AID - eMMC Recovery and Replacement Interposer Public Test

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@Nandster Thank you for that write up. If you could something about the SCFM (SLC cache), that would be great. Then I could link to your posts as a reference. Also feel free to add the recovery binaries, you used.

Reactions: Nandster

Nandster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
@Nandster Thank you for that write up. If you could something about the SCFM (SLC cache), that would be great. Then I could link to your posts as a reference. Also feel free to add the recovery binaries, you used.
I'd be happy to. My knowledge of the SLC cache itself is quite limited. I know that the SLC errors when dumping via the the Recovery Menu are to be expected, and don't seem to be an issue (which I did mention), but aside from that, what else would you like added? Maybe how the MLC and SLC need to remain synchronised? I didn't really talk about it much because I didn't want to post incorrect information, but if you can mention what should be added, I'd be more than happy to add it in :)

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Maybe how the MLC and SLC need to remain synchronised
Yes that is a very important information, that everyone wo wants to attemt that needs to understand.
Basically as long as you are not restoring the SLC, you always need to carry the current state of the MLC forward. As soon as you boot a mlc, this is now the current state and all other copies become invalid.

The sate of the slc is linked to the state of the mlc. Just booting the console changes that state. If you restore an older state of one, oyu also need to restore the older state of the other.

Nandster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Yes that is a very important information, that everyone wo wants to attemt that needs to understand.
Basically as long as you are not restoring the SLC, you always need to carry the current state of the MLC forward. As soon as you boot a mlc, this is now the current state and all other copies become invalid.

The sate of the slc is linked to the state of the mlc. Just booting the console changes that state. If you restore an older state of one, oyu also need to restore the older state of the other.
Cool, I've messaged the forum moderator to make the changes needed (my edit time has expired on the post). Will confirm once done!

radicalmgf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if this is a stupid question but I couldn't find any information on this online anywhere, I did the NAND dump but these were the only two errors that came up while dumping. Any insights onto what these are? I assume the 2nd one is about the Play Log given the file name (genius, I know) but no idea on the first one. I'm not savvy on this sort of thing, I can do hardware mods all the live long day but this kind of stuff goes over my head.

D:\>wfs-extract --input mlc.bin --otp otp.bin --output mlc-extract --mlc
Dumping...
Error: Failed to read /"usr\\boss\\00050010\\10040100\\user\\80000002\\upconfg\\.upconfg"
Error: Failed to read /"usr\\save\\system\\pdm\\80000003\\PlayLog.dat"
Done!

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
no idea on the first one.
00050010\\10040100 aka 00050010-10040100 is the title ID of the Wii U menu. No idea what that file is exactly but 80000002 looks like a user ID, so it's probably some user config of the Wii U menu and as such probably the reason of your crashes.

radicalmgf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
00050010\\10040100 aka 00050010-10040100 is the title ID of the Wii U menu. No idea what that file is exactly but 80000002 looks like a user ID, so it's probably some user config of the Wii U menu and as such probably the reason of your crashes.
Weird thing is, I haven't experienced any crashes on either of the users. I do have the system homebrewed, I'm not sure if that could be a culprit here? But functionally I've not had any issues. I'm planning on installing the NAND-AID just as a preemptive measure since I have an SK Hynix chip on a launch model, so presumably it's a matter of time before the whole thing goes.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@radicalmgf There's a low level cache of the MLC on SLC and some dumpers bypass this, so these files might be the content of the current cache.

What dumper did you use? Also did you read into this topic already? A missmach between the MLC and the cache will be a desaster.

radicalmgf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@V10lator I used the Tiramisu NAND Dumper Payload, I did a full dump in preparation for the NAND-AID and did the merge and wfs extract. So I don't think the MLC and SLC should be mismatched. I've done quite a bit of reading on this but like I said, I've always been more hardware than software so making heads and tails of this beyond me. Tried Googling around for those specific files too and couldn't find anything.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I used the Tiramisu NAND Dumper Payload
IIRC that one bypasses the cache (@SDIO knows better through). So you might be able to use it but have to replace the two "bad" files for no reason. In case that's fine go ahead but in case you want to dump again something like https://github.com/jan-hofmeier/recovery_menu/releases (on a side note: Jan = SDIO) might be better suited.

I did a full dump in preparation for the NAND-AID
The cache corrupts as soon as you use the Wii U after taking the dump. You need to shut down with a 4 button power press (or pulling the power cord) and then don't turn it back on untill after the NAND-AID is in place.
Note sure if you used the Wii U after taking the dump, just as a warning. ;)

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The NAND Dumper payload dumps the raw eMMC, ignoring the SLC cache. That means the mlc image alone is inconstant, if you try to read it. This would explain the errors you saw when extracting. Because wfs-extract ignores the slc cache, it misses the parts, that are still in the cache an not yet written back to the eMMC.

At this point I don't see a need to do a MLC replacement. From what I saw it is fine. Please note that not all Hynix will fail. Everything in the second half of 2013 and later shuld be save. But also older chips can be fine. It's just some that fail.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
still in the cache an not yet written back to the eMMC
Oh yea, my fault at my last reply: Dump probably is still fine and no need to replace the files as, well, they are still cached and will get written to the replacement when you use it.

radicalmgf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@V10lator @SDIO Thanks y'all! That info helps a lot. Unfortunately mine's a refurb so I actually have have no idea when it was manufactured, I got it in early 2014 but I tried digging into the MFG and couldn't find anything, not even a rough window as far as I could find.

My brother's Wii U is a launch console with an SK Hynix that has been having memory issues so if nothing else, I can put the NAND-AID in that one and hold off on modding my own for now.

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@V10lator @SDIO Thanks y'all! That info helps a lot. Unfortunately mine's a refurb so I actually have have no idea when it was manufactured, I got it in early 2014 but I tried digging into the MFG and couldn't find anything, not even a rough window as far as I could find.
You can either see it in System Information in the recovery or in WiiUIdent from Tiramisu /Aroma. But if your eMMC looks fine, even if it was from the time frame in question.

My brother's Wii U is a launch console with an SK Hynix that has been having memory issues so if nothing else, I can put the NAND-AID in that one and hold off on modding my own for now.
That would make more sense. See this Tutorial for guidance: https://gbatemp.net/threads/using-nand-aid-to-replace-a-hardware-damaged-mlc-160-0103-error.636361/

DaveB1980

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question…

If I don’t care about keeping/recovering any of my previously downloaded content, can I just install the NAND-AID without doing any of the dumping or data repairs?

I don’t own a Windows PC and it seems like all of the tools are Windows-only.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@DaveB1980 Yes but you need more than just a NAND-AID for this. See https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-upgrading-rebuilding-wii-u-internal-memory-mlc.636309/

Anyway, most developers use Linux, some use Mac... I did the procedure on Linux for myself and wrote (parts of) this guide: https://gbatemp.net/threads/using-nand-aid-to-replace-a-hardware-damaged-mlc-160-0103-error.636361/ ... So what tools exactly are Windows only? I mean the only PC tool involved is wupclient and that's python, so cross-platform.

DaveB1980

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@V10lator Thanks for the reply and links. My Wii U gives the 160-0103 error whenever I start it up so I think I probably have to look at the second tutorial anyways. I’m not terribly concerned about recovering my Miis or game saves.

I had just assumed the tools were Windows-only but it’s good to know I was mistaken. I already have the Pi board from an attempt to “fix” the title in storage so at least I’m good there.

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The first tutorial also fixes 160-0103 (even in a more complete way), but the second tutorial requires less soldering and preserves the data.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: gimme